Virtual Tasting Series Compendium 2016 - WB Charity ***readme***

A Wineberserker Public Service Announcement
The 4th annual Virtual Tasting Series (VTS) is ready to go. The first VTS for 2016 kicks off the week of Thanksgiving and runs through the following Wednesday giving those time to post a tasting note into the thread. Each week is hosted by a fellow Wineberserker who decides the theme, format, and the charity they’d like to support.

Matching Donations: if you’d like to co-host the current week by matching the donations then just post into that week’s thread “I’m matching” and any terms and conditions you’d like to add. A number of people have requested this and it’s a great idea so have look below and pick a week you’d be interested in matching.

Week__Date_____Theme / Host - Charity

1. NOV21 - NOV30 - Pinot Noir Frank Murray - Laura’s House
  2. NOV30 - DEC7 - Red from the World Hack - Students Helping Hunduras
  3. DEC7 - DEC14 - BerserkerDay wines Todd F r e n c h for Love146.org
  4. DEC14 - DEC21 - Craft Beer Intermezzo Carlos Delpin - Puerto Rico Science & Technology Trust
  5. DEC21 - DEC28 - Alsace, Austria and Champagne Joseph MR - St Louis ARC
  6. DEC28 - JAN4 - Champagne and only Champagne- David B - Dakin

Here’s the Compendium for the previous years.

2013 Compendium
2014 Compendium
2015 Compendium

The TBD spots are officially open for anyone that’s interested in sponsoring a week.

Just post in this thread a theme, charity, how you’d like it to work and then that’s it. I’ll start the thread when your week starts and PM you that it’s live. Easy.

Looking for ideas? Browse the previous year’s compendium for insight.

I’ll take beer.

I save that for you!

Brig, dig it. I will get my thread started this week. I’m going to land on the tried and true, which will be paying for each TN posted, doubling the value of the TN if the post also contains a photo of the taster and the bottle, together. I enjoy meeting the faces behind the names here and the financial incentive has worked well to get people to open up.

I will take #2. My charity will be Students Helping Hunduras, a group that one of my partner’s two kids are active with building schools and teaching kids in Honduras. I will figure out exactly what the challenge will be and post in the next few days. I think I will go for something for everyone, like “Choose your poison, a bottle from a vintage that The Emperor rated 95 plus for the vintage as a whole.”

Info on the charity is here. http://shhkids.org/

The Emperor’s vintage chart is here - gold boxes are 95+

http://www.erobertparker.com/newsearch/vintagechart1.aspx

There are a lot of fortunate and generous people in this WB community. Who is going to step up and take one of the remaining 3 weeks?

Okay, updated the first week which starts November 21 and is Pinot noir from around the world.

French just took Dec 7th BerserkerDay wines, $5 per to Love146.org (stopping child sex trafficking)

Frenchie, that’s terrific. Is there a theme or is it any TN?

Theme is wines purchased on berserkerday.

My theme will be:

“They make good red wine in places other than France, California, Italy and Spain, don’t they?”

Atta boy, Jay.

2 weeks left. Someone out there has to have a charity they care a lot about and are willing to task the community here to support you during the holidays. Can 2 more people step up and volunteer to take a week? It doesn’t have to be a cash donation to your charity. You can pledge your time to the charity, as well.

Yeah, come on, seriously!

Tis the Season, and all, and with the amount of wine that is opened by this community, how about some goodwill for others? We should have a freakin’ waiting list for people signed up to help a charity on here

Joseph MR just signed up for the week of X-Mas and he’s playing for St Louis ARC. More on that and his theme later. Thank you, sir.

One week remains open which covers New Years for those interested.

ARC provides life long programs and support to people with intellectual and developmental disabilities, and their families. I can personally attest to the quality of services that a family member of mine has received from this organization grouphug, and so am happy to support them.

My theme will be Alsace, Austria and Champagne for the Xmas holiday week. Like Frank, I will donate five dollars per tasting note, doubled for picture of you with bottle. Just for fun, I will add another five dollars to the above donation amounts for a TN of Alsatian or Austrian RED wine [wink.gif].

Jay, so is the theme red from anywhere but those countries in Post #12? Ehh, as I look at my own cellar now, I don’t own wines from anywhere else…is the theme too narrow here for some us to join you?

Frank, I would argue that if anyone doesn’t have a red from a place other than CA, France, Spain, or Italy, this is a good time to pick one up and give it a try. I recall picking up an assortment of reasonably priced (under $30 and some under $20) wines from CA historic vineyards for Larry Piggin’s virtual tasting in 2014 and wasn’t disappointed.

Also, I think Jay’s theme is a little broader than it appears at first thought. Looking in CT, I have red wines from the following places that fit Jay’s theme:

Argentina
Australia
Chile
Georgia (state not nation)
Germany
Lebanon
Missouri
New York
New Zealand
Oregon
Portugal
Washington

Week2 with Mr. Hack is up and running for your review.

Still time to post into FMIII thread for Pinot. Great start as always!

Thanks for playing along.

Made this a sticky as well, so everybody can see what’s coming up and fill in the blanks as needed