Any love for Loren's Wilde Farm?

I thought previous releases of the Wilde Farm Bedrock Heritage were fantastic, and Morgan told me last year he thought it was one of the best wines he’d ever tasted off the vineyard.

2015 is in release now, made by Pax, 100% whole cluster heritage field blend, should be a holy grail for zin lovers. Also an Alder Springs chard, Donnelly Creek PN, Cardiac Hill Syrah, and Halcon Syrah, easy to fill out a case.

Not affiliated in any way, just sayin’

Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered a mixed case. Apparently still in a Friends & Family period (essentially equaling the shipping cost) as I got a discount on some of the wines. Well priced + great vineyards = easy buy for me (although I said earlier today I was done buying wine until 2017). Any more insight in to the history of this winery?

Hi Carter,

Loren is a member here so I’m sure he will fill in the history. The first vintage was IIRC 2012 and the wine has always been made by Pax. Obviously, top vineyard sources, top winemaker, and very reasonably priced.

I’m a fan and I think I have followed them since the beginning (2012). I never understood why they don’t get the love here but since the largely sell out every year, I figure its not an issue.

A fan and case buy for me. The 2016 Berserker’s Day offer was 20% off and free shipping. So, I always look to add then. We also use it as a unique offer as a client gift – good wine at a great price.

I had the Rose a while back and liked it very much. I keep thinking about more and never get to it. Need to fix that, especially since I love nearly everything Pax makes these days.

Still have a couple '12s in my cellar. Pinot and Chard. The first Rosé came off flabby, Larry will remember me bringing it to Rosso, so Ai have assed on subsequent releases. Have loved the other wines especially the Pinot Noir. Release seems to hit when I can least afford it though. Have not purchased the past two years. I need to change that.

Yes I do remember that rosé! Not great, but it happens. I still have one of the '12 WF Bedrocks around; holding it for a 2012 Bedrock vineyard horizontal, of which I have 7 different producers. Still have some of the Pinot and Chard as well, just haven’t been drinking that much lately. Which is why I was glad to see a couple Syrahs available to fill out a case.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words. And also thank you for the support. This year’s Bedrock is super exciting to me. And I look forward to hearing what you guys think when you decide to open one.

I hear you Brian on the rosè. That first year it was almost all saignee - we kind of did it spur of the moment. The following 2 years it has been 100% carbonic Dolcetto from the Fox Hill vineyard up in mendo that Sam Bilbro tends to. Completely different wine. We pick it early at like 18 brix to preserve the acid, and only let it go through partial malo. We still have a little bit, like 10 cases, left of the 2015. Tell you what - if you get some and if you don’t dig it, for any reason, let me know and I will refund it. It actually does super well with bottle age. We poured the 2014 a few months ago at a dinner we did at Vetri in Philly and it was delicious with some Kampachi crudo.

Had a 2012 pinot last night. It is showing well. More generous and full then when we first release them. I kind of prefer the wines when they are brightest - but it drank wonderfully paired with some garlicky oven roasted chicken.

For those who have asked, Wilde Farm is a partnership between me and Pax. We try to find cool climate, sustainable vineyards that will be the source of really great food wines. Bedrock, while not cool climate per se, is simply American royalty and we are humbled to get fruit from their mixed blacks portion of the vineyard. It is a gift! Once the fruit is ready, we harvest - often a bit earlier than most - bring the fruit in and let Pax do what he does. But honestly, we try to do as little with it as possible. Only native yeasts, neutral french oak barrique, not much if any de-stemming. Little if any racking, fining or filtering. Very judicious use of sulfur as needed. Try to keep it simple. The magic tends to happen in the vineyard more than in the winery. Though I will tell you I am in awe of Pax’s talent. He seems to always know exactly what to do - and what not to do - to get the best from the fruit given. That’s kind of our story. Food friendly wines that express honestly the grape variety they represent and where they are from. That’s what we strive for anyway. Hope you dig them! [cheers.gif]

Thanks to this thread, i decided to open a 2014 Bedrock with Flannery Hamburgers. Heaven.

Just ordered, thx.

Btw, it looks like Loren has a 10% discount going at checkout. Sealed the deal for me.

Was my favorite rose this year, great structure, color, nose. I’ve got one left and I’ll take the advice to hide it for a year!

Loren,

I cracked a 2013 Jemrose Vineyard Cardiac Hill tonight and it seemed shut down. Any thoughts on this wine?

cheers,
Rama

Loren, who owns Donnelly Creek now that Mary Elke has officially retired? Seems like your bottling of that vineyard coincided with that event.

I am a bit of a Mourvedre fan, so Wilde Farm has been floating around in the background of my purchase plans for a while. I have only heard great things about the wines.

Me too. I am really interested to see what Pax did with Bedrock fruit.

I was at the dinner at Vetri and can attest to how wonderful, bright and fresh the Rose is! All the wines were showing beautifully that night!

Hi Rama,

That seems odd. Amy and I opened one a few night ago and it was singing. Try it again with some air or maybe night two. If it disappoints, let me know and I will replace. Hope you are well! [cheers.gif]

Hello! Yes, it is true that Mary sold Donnelly Creek - though she still is getting fruit from the vineyard. I wish I could tell you it was me that bought it! Instead it is a venture group. The good news is that they are already investing in the vineyard and have an excellent team in to farm it. They were happy to honor and even extend our contract. So far, so good!