No Copain Kiser En Bas 2013

Was interested to hear that the 2013 Kiser En Bas will not be released as it was not deemed up to standard.

Bit of a suprise in what’s considered a fairly strong AV vintage.

Where did you hear this? They didn’t mention anything at the winery pickup last weekend. I didn’t pick up my wines, but assumed the 13 En Bas would ship with the rest of them.

My notification email from Copain included the 2011 En Bas rather than 2013. I asked about this and they replied the 2013 will not be released because it wasn’t up to standard (I may be paraphrasing).

Again, interesting. I looked at the list of wines being poured and for sale last weekend, and now see that it was the 2011 they were offering for sale, not 2013.

Yep…since I previously purchased the 2011 En Bas I asked them to replace with '12 Halcon.

I noticed this, too. I brought it up to Mark and he had to remind me that they did make this decision, which is why they reoffered the 2011. Like Russ, I have a little 2011 left, so I decided to take some 2014 Les Voisins PN instead. My box of goodies arrived y/day.

For me the En Bas is a favorite across vintages. Definitely confirmed from the Deep End tasting recently.

I highly respect Copain for saying it’s not up to snuff. Not many do that that I’m aware of unless there’s serious problems like smoke taint from '08. Another reason to support the boutique producers.

I have lots of 11 but will just take more. Will give me more to age. My problem is I drink most of my copain by the 5-6 th year and never hold any back…I need to start buying more I suppose lol.

Brig, it’s funny about whether I like Bas or Haut the best. I used to think Haut was king, then a # of Bas vintages tied or beat Haut. I’ve reached a point where I feel both sites of the vineyard make equally compelling wine and there are distinct differences between the two plots.

Mark, the wines do age. For Pinot, I would say that the 2007s are ready. I have some 2006s I want to share with a few people, as a few seemed to be aging well but are going into aged flavors. For Syrah, these are doing well also. A few 2008s recently showed those doing just fine.

Frank, oddly enough I have Syrah back to 05 and have never opened a bottle. I have 3 2011 les voisen that I am seriously thinking of trying but have never open3d any of the sv stuff.

And we’re really splitting hairs, they’re both excellent. You know we have issues when we’re debating the virtues of the lower part of the vineyard versus the upper, just ask our significant others!

Just what do you mean by “vineyard” there?

Hey Craig,

The En Bas/Haut both come from the same Kiser vineyard. Bas is from “below” or the lower part and Haut is the “upper” part of the Kiser vineyard.

:neutral_face:

Sorry. I thought you were surreptitiously referring to your significant others.

Our wives aren’t sure what planet we come from!

They don’t seem to have a problem when Nordhoff brings champagne. LOL.

Agreed that it is admirable that they didn’t bottle a wine they thought not up to scratch. Just thought it odd that would happen in 2013. I wonder what went wrong…

I thought I would bump this thread because somehow, this not-bottled wine is on WineBid - 13 bottles’ worth, to boot:

There has been boatloads of Copain, both recent and not, on WineBid lately. Total speculation, but I have a funny feeling it could be Jackson Family dumping excess inventory. There is no one person with that much Copain - not even Frank!

At this point, I feel the 2006 and 2007s should be consumed NOW…

TTT

Very interesting!

I just noticed the 2013s on WineBid as well. Has anyone tried it? CellarTracker has no notes on it…