TN: 2010 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Bousselots

• 2010 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Bousselots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (10/23/2016)
    Decanted 6 hrs. Opened to have my better half get a feel for a real NSG (we’re both learning Red Burg) and while it wasn’t totally open for business, this fine specimen offered plenty of preview snap shots as to where this is headed. Alluring spice and meat juice drippings on the nose. Packed and chiseled, a masculine palate, but did yield tasty black currant and Xmas Tree. Tannins arrive late but provide and excellent back bone and of coarse, good acid structure. My last two bottles will sleep 5 to 10 years, should have an outstanding future. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Dale- did you try when you opened and if so did decanting help ? I’d be concerned that some of the 10’s could shut down hard with extended decant. I have a bunch of 10’s and have not opened any in a few years.

cheers

Hi Fred,

I did have a small taste after it was opened, and did smell it every 90 minutes or so. To be honest, I don’t think the aeration really helped or hurt the drinking experience, and I can see your concern for a shut down to occur in a structured vintage like 2010.

Decanted 6 hrs. This seems to be progressing nicely since my last bottle in 2016. Aromatically, lots to like here, with attractive traits of dark currant, xmas spices, with a lingering floral overlay. Initially this comes across as easy going and very accessible, but don’t be fooled, there is still a ton of good structure present, it just takes a second or so to hit. The dark fruit carries a tasty savory edge, and like the nose this seemed to taste like currant with a playful briary streak. Really well balanced acidity and good palate coverage. Clearly out of its primary stage but years to go. Worth checking in if you have a few. I miss this label, the new ones look so sterile.

Hey Dale, so how is your red burg education going, three years in?

I find the more I learn, the less I know.

Sounds like a nice bottle! I’m trying to keep my hands off of 2010’s, but they are so crystalline and delicious. They really seem like an ideal blend of ‘08 acidity and ‘09 fruit.

Ditto on label.

Hi Brady,

I would echo your ‘the more I learn’ motto, which really hits home upon reflection. I would say the best advice I received here on WB was not over buying on a single producer, buy one or two and taste as much as you can - sage advice as its pretty remarkable how much variance there is not only between producers but between the villages themselves. Some highlights have been Chevillon ( have some Cailles and Vaucrains but sitting on those). I know some here sneer at Dominique Laurent, but I absolutely loved the 15 Beaumonts VR. For value, Savigny Les Beaune is hard to beat (Guillemot a great find off the top of my head), and I can get a sense about the seduction of good Volnay. Pommard has been on my radar with a good showing of the 09 C. Armand CdE in Sept and I’m eager to try more. In short, it’s been a fun ride so far. :slight_smile:

I’ve had some real good luck with a few 2010 Burgs recently. While they’re not anywhere near mature they are damn delicious!

A 2010 Thierry Richoux Irancy Veaupessiot was in a brilliant spot the last time I opened it. It makes me wish I had bought more…many, many more.

Nice note. Chevillon’s 2010s across the lineup are excellent. I recently went thru a flight of 4 of them, Cailles was best followed by a surprisingly open Vaucrains.

The 10’ Chevillon’s I’ve opened so far have been pretty forward, especially the village V.V. which I believe should be consumed now or soon.

The 1ers seem like they’re in a good place now and over the coming years.