Rec needed for Wine Cellar build, Chicago-Area

Recently purchased a new home. Currently the basement has an extra room, which previous owners used as a craft room. I want to turn this room into a wine cellar, however I am not sure who to contact. Any advice/recommendations? Room size is 17x15, with 10ft high ceilings.

Thanks in advance.

No idea who to contact but thats going to be a nice size cellar

What part of the Chicago area are you living in?

Building a wine cellar is a multi disciplinary affair and should be attempted only by experienced personnel. Do NOT cheap out by accepting some wanna be pro who has no idea what he/she is doing.

Check with your local wine store/suppliers, I am sure they can guide you into the right direction.

Can you do anything yourself? A wine cellar is an insulated closet. Building one isn’t rocket science.

agreed. a wine cellar isn’t rocket science. anyone who has half way decent skills can read the Richard Gold book and build a wine cellar.

Unless you have a ton of wine that would be a very large room to keep cool, even in Chicago in a basement.

Depending on the structure it might be very easy to add a additional wall to the inside of it that provides the R value you need and vapor barrier. Ceiling may be a little more difficult.

George

Thats a pretty large space, how much wine do you want to store?

http://www.distinctivewinecellars.com/

Vic Trappe is the gentleman I worked with a bit over 10 years ago. They did a fantastic job. If I ever build another they would be the firm I use. Apex build my cellar in the house before our last one. Did a fine job but really messed up the last cellar’s bidding process as did a firm (can’t remember their name) out of Cincinnati.

JD