I'm thinking Cellarpro- how long do they last?

I am nearly ready to make the move to a Cellarpro chiller. I’ve been using a tricked-out Kenmore for 4 years, but for various reasons, I am ready to upgrade.

I got a quote from Cellarpro and I know they have a 5 year warranty. But I am wondering if there’s enough experience or track record out there to say (roughly) how long I might expect it to work beyond 5 years? This is a properly insulated (R20 on 6 sides) cellar with a vapor barrier in a below-grade basement in Colorado (so it will only work regularly a few months a year).

Any input appreciated.

I’ve had mine for a year with no issues, when I bought mine I did extensive research and they seemed hands down to be the best built unit with the best reputation and customer service. I will be buying my next unit from them for my current cellar build.

Mine has been running over 2 years with no issues. It’s a well built unit and I liked the customization features. I use the bottle probe to pull liquid temps from the top of the farthest rack to ensure those stay where I want, while the Champers below stay extra cool. :slight_smile: With the bottle probe the recommended a 1 degree delta but I think the unit seems to run less overall when set to 2 degrees delta, particularly during the cooler months.

I’ve got two, one 6 years, one 2.5 years. Had to replace a controller on the older one. Good service. I like them
Better than Breezaire, where I had one thermostat fail and one die total death in under 2 years.

I have had mine for two years and it died about a month ago. I emailed and had a new one in four days, all I paid was shipping one way. I like the unit and think this one will last. I have a rack directly under the unit and a bottle was probably too close to the exhaust fan which put back pressure on the fan, so it died. I have since moved the bottle from under the fan and we will see how it goes.

I like the CellarPro more than any other option on the market and based on overall reviews I think I just had a bad fan or the bottle directly under it affected it. I would buy again.

My cellar pro died after 2 yrs. I purchased the extended warranty so they replaced the unit after jumping thru a few hoops. Service is great compared to Breezaire.

My controller went out in year 4, but a quick fix and I was back up and running within a few days. Buy with confidence.

I had three of these die each at about two years. They were good about standing behind them, but still I got tired of paying for shipping, for someone to take the old unit out and the new unit in, etc.

What did you go with? My wife and I replaced our unit, pretty quick and easy.

Not sure which units y’all are talking about.i put a 6000s in my new cellar a few months ago. Working fine so far. Sure as hell had better last more than two years, tho.

Hmmm, I expect a item that costs well north of $1000 to show a better reliability than reported in this thread. Gives me pause.

It’s probably as good as it gets.

So is it typical for the functioning lifespan of these to be less than 2 years? Is there a particular piece of equipment that people have found to have been the cause of failure?

1800xts worked great for 5 yrs and 2 months Compressor quit. Called them up and they honored the warranty. Just paid for shipping and they sent me a refurbished unit. Pretty good on their part. Happy with the experience, however if it had been the dog days of summer when it quit, I would have been forced to pay about $200 for overnight shipping.

Extremely pleased with their support and customer service.

4 years and going strong - 1800xt

Why is it that I have two 25+ year old refrigerators in un-insulated spaces that was been working flawlessly through 90+ degree Summers for more than 15 years and someone can’t make a wine cooling system that last more than 2-5 years?

Seriously. I may reconsider my Kenmore and just keep it at 60F.

Thanks for the input, all.

The 5 year warranty is on the compressor only, the rest of the unit has a 2 year warranty.

These are good units, the only failure I’ve seen yet is a failed controller.

That would be my recommendation.
It’s what I do…

TTT