Rhys fall release on Nov 1

Looks like a fairly big collection of wines. I’m in for Alpine PN and Chard and probably a bit of Bearwallow juice of both colors as well.

Here is an excerpt from the email.

"Greetings from Rhys Vineyards,

Please mark your calendars for the autumn 2016 offering from Rhys Vineyards scheduled for Tuesday, November 1st.

This is the first of two offerings that will focus on 2014, a vintage that produced wines of exceptional concentration, balance and structure. Alpine and Bearwallow Vineyard, both featured in this release, excelled in 2014, producing some of our favorite wines of the vintage.

The offering also includes the 2013 Skyline Vineyard Syrah, the very last Syrah made from this amazing site before the section was replanted to Pinot Noir.

Rhys Vineyards Fall Offering:

2014 Rhys Alpine Vineyard Chardonnay - $79 - Magnum $179
2014 Rhys Anderson Valley Chardonnay - $39 - Magnum $99
2014 Rhys Porcupine Hill Pinot Noir - $79 - Magnum $179
2014 Rhys Alpine Vineyard Pinot Noir - $79
2014 Rhys Bearwallow Vineyard Pinot Noir - $59
2014 Rhys Swan Terrace Pinot Noir - $99
2013 Rhys Skyline Vineyard Syrah - $69

You can find critic’s notes on our wines HERE. "

This sounds great, but I am getting a little annoyed that it’s late October and not even a peep from Rhys on shipping prior releases, nor 2014 futures that were ordered months and months ago.

David there’s an email headed out right now on this exact subject. We’re packing boxes now and will start shipping Alesia, the 2016 summer Rhys release and 2014 futures by the end of the week, with Hillsides to follow in the next couple of weeks. This is also in the email, but it’s worth saying here too, we’ll be shipping in waves, so not all of the releases will show up at people’s door at the same time. This is to ensure we get the most wine to the most people while being cognizant of shipping temperatures.

Hi David,

Do remember that they just finished bringing in the last of their syrah grapes last week…

All the Best,

John

Most communication I have had in months. :wink:

Any chance you guys can delay this Fall release? Many of us (including me) like to buy the 375 (or 500) sampler packs to preview the wines before release. I respect and admire that you guys haven’t shipped due to bad shipping weather, but that has caused this problem.

On another note: &$#@! — it would appear this release is going to be an expensive one!

Brian echoes my concern.

I tried the '14 Alpine Chard, '14 Bearwallow PN, and '14 Swan Terrace in August.
Loved the Chard. Lively, vibrant, and complex. Very nicely balanced wine. Needs some air to show it at its best. At this point in my life I’m actually happier with this style than my previous favorite, Marcassin.
Bearwallow (or AV PNs in general) are not as much my style, but I really enjoyed the '14 version. Probably somewhat deeper and more concentrated than what I’ve had before.
Swan Terrace was at the time showing a strong stemmy character esp on the palate. It’ll need to age a bit to integrate better, but it’s a sure buy if I’m offered a bottle.
Also had the '14 Bearwallow Chard and if the AV Chard is close in style then this should be a safe buy. Very different style of Chard from Alpine. Maybe not as serious, more of a happy easy going style but at the same level of complexity.
It’ll be hard to take only 12 bottles, might have to find the funds for 18.

Brian and David,
I am sorry that the late bottling of '14s and the timing of this release will not allow for sampling before ordering. While we can’t move the release, once you receive the sampler pack if you open a bottle and would like to decrease or cancel your order that is no problem. Given the circumstances, we are also happy to take the wines back at no cost to you.

FWIW (not much I know), I very highly recommend these.

Seems unlikely Kevin. :slight_smile:

Sounds good, Kevin. Thank you.

Are there any folks who were able to make it up to the pick-up event and able to post their notes on the wines that were poured? This release seems bigger than normal so I’m trying to make a few purchasing decisions. Thanks in advance.

Jesse, we made it up, was the most crowded pickup day I can remember. Pizza oven blazing out on the back patio, with rain pouring down in sheets at times. Loved it!

My brief notes (mind you, just my impressions, others I was tasting with had a range of opinions):

2014 Chardonnay Anderson - very nice, medium depth, nice slightly tart fruit, good mineral finish (my wife really liked this)

2014 Chardonnay Alpine - bit more depth and intensity than the Anderson, with a nice hint of tart lemon curd and saline, lovely mineral finish. Beautiful wine

2014 Pinot Bearwallow - fairly reserved, the darker raspberry/black cherry fruit strains a bit to compete with the somewhat rustic structure. I think this will be really good, but I’ll want to give it quite a few years to smooth out.

2014 Pinot Alpine - more depth and intensity than Bearwallow, has plenty of structure as well but more refined and elegant. I think this could be a real classic, but again will need time to evolve.

For me, the Chards can be drunk early (though I have no doubt they will live long lives), while the Pinots will definitely benefit from some years in the bottle.

Just when I thought I was done for the year, Rhys and Ancillary hit my inbox within minutes of each other today.

Well there goes a bunch more money, but I had to grab the final Skyline Syrah. That has been my favorite Rhys bottling.

Thanks, Alan!

still waiting for wines on “pre-arrival” from over a year ago… [stirthepothal.gif]

I was at the Rhys tasting early in the day, and pretty much agree with Alan’s assessment. Made today’s release fairly easy to jump into. Sorry I missed you Alan!

On the Alpine, I was surprised by how open and fruit-filled it was. Great balance and length. I will be tempted to pop one or two when they ship as these are absolutely beautiful young Rhys wines. I wonder if these will go into a long dark slumber that will need many years to unwind.

Weird. On 10/19 I received an email that provided an update on shipping (and that it would come in waves), as well as the fall release.

My shipping communication email did not come through until 10/20. Anyway, things seem to be moving. :slight_smile: