Quick TN: 2008 Ladd Cellars Russian River Valley Pinot Noir

Not sure where it came from, as I don’t have record of purchasing it (I have other purchases from Ladd Cellars, recorded, consumed) but WOW what a treat!!! This reminds me of another favorite Pinot Noir of mine - Swan, when it’s ‘on’. Fantastic wine, and I opened it being unsure if I even wanted wine tonight, and it turned me around instantly.

Color was a bit disconcerting, being a bit cloudy and taking on a rusty hue. Gorgeous florals on the nose, just beautiful and complex - full of bright red fruit as well. Palate is expressive, with that building profile I love so much, when a wine starts out slightly demure on your palate and builds and builds to the finish. Rhubarb, strawberry on the finish, hint of forest floor. Fantastic acidity and breadth of flavor overall. This wine really is a sort of dichotomy - it seems restrained, but delivers SO much as well…not a fruit bomb whatsoever, but tons of fruit. Definitely not ripe, but sweetness abounds as well. (guess this TN isn’t that quick)

Wow, Eric - awesome! I hope YOU have more of this leftover for you to enjoy!

Agreed on this wine. Really enjoyed it myself.

My favorite Berserker Day discovery. Lovely wines.

Wow, thanks! I love this wine.

2008 was a turning point for me…and I have the big/nasty heat wave in early sept that year to thank for it. I saw reports of the heat wave a few days early. The fruit was close but not ready to pick, based on my picking assessment at the time. I didn’t want the fruit, in a fragile state, to go through that nasty heat tho. So I picked a fair bit earlier than usual, and loved the results (I’ve continued to pick earlier since, of course). The oak was all two and three year old barrels, which helped to preserve and show off the fruit (aka 3 and 4th use barrels… not steamed…I’ve learned steaming older barrels gives noticeably more oak than non-steamed!). I love the rhubarb + florals + red fruit. The only frustrating part was it took forever for the wine to come around and show itself in bottle! Ah well.

Todd: You don’t have a record of this bottle because it was a replacement for a 2007 RRV Pinot. I did have some 07s, but I figured the 08 would be in your wheelhouse. Turns out I was right! :slight_smile: And I do have a few bottles of the 08 RRV in my cellar. Woo Hoo.

Ah ha!! I’m glad I mentioned it in my post - that’s right, I recall you replaced the '07, and I’m super happy you did!!! [cheers.gif]

I haven’t been posting many tasting notes but I bought a six pack from Eric on Berserker Day and we’ve really really enjoyed the wine. We’ll be buying again in February!

Have one of these in the cellar. [cheers.gif]

What’s in February?? (BerserkerDay is in January…)

I’ve been enjoying the Ladd wines as well. I do not drink a lot of CA pinot (for reasons you can see in my avatar) but when I do, it’s been Sandler and Ladd lately, thanks to this board!

A Berserker buy a few years back. All gone and checking my notes the '08 Abigail was greatly enjoyed as were the rest of the '09s. As good as the stuff up here and that is saying something. [wow.gif]

Have some of these from 2010 (also Beserkerday); should I pull the trigger or continue to hold?

I have no experience with 2010 Ladd in comparison, but the extra time this one had sure helped it. I’m sure Eric can chip in

It’s great to hear that folks are enjoying the wines! Woo Hoo. I’ve heard others describe my wines as Oregon Pinot from Ca fruit…seems apt. I’ve described it as ‘old world structure & Ca terroir’, but this is more catchy. (There are exceptions to this of course)

On the 2010: This was one of the wines I poured for La Folie (sf restaurant) today…the Somm commented at how young/fresh it is. Last year, esp early last year, this was still pretty tight. Now the tightness has receded to a more pleasant level.

The 2010 was picked a fair bit lower brix than the 2008 (23 or a bit under vs 23.75)…despite that, the 2010 has more fruit to it (I just checked and both 2008 & 2010 were picked on Sept 5th…must be my lucky day :slight_smile: ). Part of the extra fruit in the 2010 is due to the different clones involved: 2008 had a high percent of 777, with other clones. 2010 is equal parts 777, 667 and 114, with a lesser amt of pommard and other clones. The rhubarb + florals + forest floor (in the 2008) are there (in the 2010) but, right now, the fruit is hiding them a bit.

As far as aging, the 2010 is still early whereas I think the 2008 has hit it’s plateau (I expect it’ll stay there for quite a while)…we’ll see if the 2008 surprises me. The 2010 will be the longer lived wine. So there’s no rush to drink either one, but there’s more of an argument to hold on to the 2010. Both are drinking well atm, of course. (Side note: the 2008 Sonoma Coast is still on it’s way up I believe). Also note: this wine, many of my wines, has some sediment…a good thing imo. My wines are stored upside down, so the sediment tends to be on the cork…don’t be surprised when you pull the cork. The sediment on the cork slows down the aging of my wines, since the sediment ‘absorbs’ some/much of the oxygen that makes it through.

Had the 2010 tonight and it is wonderful. No hurry here