Oregon Visit Day 2 Brief TNs & Pics: McMinnville (Biggio Hamina, Goodfellow, Eyrie)

TASTING AT BIGGIO HAMINA - McMinnville, Oregon (10/7/2016)

Had a great visit with Todd who is a generous and lively host. Tasted in the warehouse winemaking facility where Todd makes his label as well as a couple of others. It was right after harvest so there was plenty of action in the winery.

• 2013 Biggio Hamina Cellars Pinot Noir Old Farm - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains
    Winery tasting. Nose is lifted and ethereal with earthy/herby red cherry. Light-to-medium bodied with good acid structure and rustic/earthy fruit. On a revisit at the end of tasting, the fruit picked up some sweetness to match the rustic/iron qualities. (90 pts.)
  • 2014 Biggio Hamina Cellars Pinot Noir Youngberg Hill Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, McMinnville
    Winery tasting. 50% whole cluster. Full nose has red and black cherry and nice layering with some smoky cluster herbs. Impressive on the palate with a nice combo of driving acid and bright cherry fruit. A bit compact on pop n’ pour. (91 pts.)
  • 2014 Gypsy Dancer Pinot Noir Cuvée Christine - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Winery tasting (at Biggio Hamina). The base cuvee from Gypsy Dancer, which is re-starting the label after a short hiatus. This is a more forward and easy-drinking Pinot that shows good vintage character. Nose has sweet cherry fruit and herbs. Palate is plump and polished, with nice balancing acidity. One that is ready to go early. (88 pts.)
  • 2012 Biggio Hamina Cellars Pinot Noir Caroline Zenith Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Eola - Amity Hills
    Winery tasting. Pow, this is hugely aromatic and perfumed. Sexy cherry fruit accented with spice, herbs and stemmy florals. The palate has great concentration and intensity. Despite the power, there is a weightlessness and perfume as it crosses the palate. A favorite in the lineup. Pricey at $90, but worth it given what’s in the bottle. (94 pts.)
  • 2008 Biggio Hamina Cellars Syrah Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton
    Winery tasting. 100% whole cluster. The nose here is rocking and open for business in a hugely savory, old world style with meaty, olive-y black fruit with florals and animale character. Light-to-medium body on the palate and very savory. Loses a bit of intensity and concentration on the mid-palate. i suspect air or time will fill this out. A couple points of upside. A real bargain at $25. (90 pts.)

Todd doing God’s work.

TASTING AT GOODFELLOW - McMinnville, Oregon (10/7/2016)

We had a great visit with Marcus at Goodfellow. Marcus is super knowledgable and generous with his time and insights. The line-up is terrific across the board and worth a look for anyone into old-world inspired Oregon wines.

• 2015 Matello Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Winery tasting. Made in the style of Alsace’s Marcel Deiss with co-fermented Alsatian varietals. This has a terrific lifted and aromatic nose with loads of richness and Gewurz spice. On the palate good cutting acidity matches the rich/semi-sweet fruit. Chiseled and precise finish. Excellent, especially for the price tag. (91 pts.)
  • 2014 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Gris Reserve Clover - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Winery tasting. Full nose of waxy, round orchard fruit. Palate has round fruit with bright, chewy acid. This is surprisingly lush with great body to match the acidic verve. Intense across the palate. Very well done. (91 pts.)
  • 2014 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Richard’s Cuvee - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Winery tasting. Full rich nose starts with a touch of matchstick, rich orchard fruit, hazelnut and spice. Wow, palate here is killer with rich and smooth fruit supported by driving acidity. A lot of stuffing and complexity for $40. Very impressive. (93 pts.)
  • 2014 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills
    Winery tasting. Nose has depth and layers with black cherry and herb. Palate is medium-to-full bodied and larger scaled with structure that suggests this is built to cellar. Fruit is sweet with earthy accents. Loads of spice on the back end. A couple points of upside here. (93 pts.)
  • 2014 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Whistling Ridge Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Winery tasting. This is a more brooding pinot that is begging for cellar time. Concentrated nose is non-delineated today with dark fruit, earth and new leather. Palate is structured and dense. Really enjoyed the raw materials, though this will be better with time. A couple points of upside. (92 pts.)
  • 2011 Matello Pinot Noir Whistling Ridge Vineyard Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge
    Winery tasting. This too is a bit brooding and closed in. Nose leans earthy and meaty with black cherry. Palate has good structure and more meaty/earthy black cherry fruit. Layers emerging but this is lean and austere today. Needs time. Like the promise/potential.
  • 2012 Matello Fool’s Journey Deux Vert - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton
    Winery tasting. Full nose has black fruit, smoke and meat. Palate is quite structured and closed in today. Needs time. Good potential.

TASTING AT EYRIE - McMinnville, Oregon (10/7/2016)

Tasting in the wine tasting room. I highly recommend calling ahead and reserving the library tasting. We had a wonderful time and enjoyed getting a peak into the history of this Oregon pioneer.

• 2015 Eyrie Vineyards Chasselas Doré - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Winery tasting. Interesting to try but not something I’d pursue. Kind of a ‘wine-lite’. Nose is crisp and fresh with hints of white fruit and mineral. Palate is ultra light bodied with lemon/lime water. Short finish. Nothing offensive, just lightweight across the board. (85 pts.)
  • 2014 Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Blanc - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills
    Winery tasting. Simple nose has tropical fruit and minerals. Palate is nice and round with bright acid. Citrus zest adds some interest. A pleasant quaffing wine. (87 pts.)
  • 2014 Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Gris - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills
    Winery tasting. Simple nose has fresh cut melons. Palate is round, fresh and lively. Simple and easy to drink. (87 pts.)
  • 1991 Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Gris - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills
    Winery tasting. Served blind. I was guessing this was 10-ish years old Gris. Was impressed to learn it was a 1991. The nose certainly shows age with a touch of oxidation adding a layer of honey and butterscotch. The palate is round and complex with layers. Still has acids and has overall evolved in balance. An interesting experience to be sure, though I’m not running to drink 25 year old Pinot Gris with any frequency. (90 pts.)
  • 2014 Eyrie Vineyards Chardonnay Original Vines - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills
    Winery tasting. Gorgeous lifted nose with chalky white fruits and minerals. Palate is crisp and lively. Fruit and acid in harmony, leaving a chiseled and precise impression. Neutral oak has rounded the fruit but left no imprint. Persistent. (93 pts.)
  • 1992 Eyrie Vineyards Chardonnay Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills
    Winery tasting. Nose shows the complexity of age with evolved fruit and oxidation notes of butterscotch and candy corn. The palate really shines with fruit that is round and fresh but so deliciously evolved. Lots of layers here with creme brulee and some caramel. Acids still fresh. A nice treat. (93 pts.)
  • 2013 Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley
    Winery tasting. The base cuvee Pinot shows just as it should. Bright earthy cherries, new leather and herbs on the nose. Palate is light bodied with fresh acids. Lower intensity and concentration, but correct and easy to drink. (87 pts.)
  • 2013 Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Noir Original Vines - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills
    Winery tasting. A serious step up in quality. The nose here is full and very deep with darker cherry, meat and smoke. Palate has medium body with good supporting structure. Sexy and suave already, but should age for many years. (92 pts.)
  • 1986 Eyrie Vineyards Pinot Noir Secret Cellar Selection Barrel Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills
    Winery tasting. This is an insanely good Pinot that matches my experienced of what aged Eyrie can offer. Nose is full with endless depth – aged cherry, mushroom, decaying earth, old leather and smoke. The palate is similarly deep and intense. Acids are still fresh and bright. Flavors echo the nose. Long and so persistent. Epic! (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Were you able or offered to buy the old Eyrie wines…or were they only poured for the tasting?

Kirk, Sec has that chardonnay right now if you’re interested.

Great notes, Rich!

The library wines are available for purchase, though the pricing was steep (300+ for the aged pinots).

Rock star notes and tastings!

Doing it right Rich. Thanks for sharing so much detail!

RT

Thank you for the notes, Rich. Sounds like some excellent tastings.

Great notes all around but the Eyrie reserve in particular… cool to know that those wines were still hanging on and in the case of the Pinot flourishing.

Marcus opened more wine than me, for shame…

Not quite true … you opened a Riesling and we tasted the Gew raw materials. I just failed to take notes.

Was hoping to see some Maysara notes…the momtazi vineyard is beautiful

Rich - nice notes. that “Caroline” is something special indeed. mine is going to be taking a nice nap once it gets here.

Whew.

3 of the best, from wine to people. Thanks for the write up.

Jason

Thank you for these notes (years later)! I am planning a trip and think this is the exact trio I want to visit (if they will have me)

and many others i would suggest visiting - if you have more time. feel free to PM me.

We did Todd and Marcus on the same day and then Patricia Green the next. Considering doing Eyrie but time didn’t really allow for us due to the short trip. But, if our tastings were any indication give yourself plenty of time with Todd and Marcus. Don’t just think an hour is enough!

Kyle, come see me first as Marcus tends to prattle on forever…