Official Costco Thread

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
Richard Jen
Posts: 37
Joined: January 24th, 2019, 5:53 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1701 Post by Richard Jen » January 6th, 2020, 8:29 pm

ERPark wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 7:50 pm
Kris Patten wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 6:38 pm
ERPark wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 8:35 am
I think it’s weird how Costco allows such price variance from store to store. ‘08 Cristal is $229.99 at every store I’ve seen it at in the Bay Area. ‘08 Dom is either $142.89, $144.99 or $149.99. Some forumites in other regions have reported even lower prices for both bottles.
Purchase price isn't the same across States based on State laws and distributor pricing models.
Right. But my point isn’t so much about state to state differences. The pricing in-region, as well as SoCal versus NorCal, varies noticeably here in CA. Any possible county and city taxes on alcohol can’t possibly account for the $142.89 pricing on Dom P I’ve seen here in the SF Bay Area, and the $154.99 pricing down south in Orange County posted by another forumite.
I have seen the same blueberry and salad items priced differently in two nearby stores on the same day.

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4856
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1702 Post by Kris Patten » January 6th, 2020, 8:43 pm

ERPark wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 7:50 pm
Kris Patten wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 6:38 pm
ERPark wrote:
January 3rd, 2020, 8:35 am
I think it’s weird how Costco allows such price variance from store to store. ‘08 Cristal is $229.99 at every store I’ve seen it at in the Bay Area. ‘08 Dom is either $142.89, $144.99 or $149.99. Some forumites in other regions have reported even lower prices for both bottles.
Purchase price isn't the same across States based on State laws and distributor pricing models.
Right. But my point isn’t so much about state to state differences. The pricing in-region, as well as SoCal versus NorCal, varies noticeably here in CA. Any possible county and city taxes on alcohol can’t possibly account for the $142.89 pricing on Dom P I’ve seen here in the SF Bay Area, and the $154.99 pricing down south in Orange County posted by another forumite.
There are 3 Costco buyers in CA, NorCal, SoCal and San Diego, and their top margin % available is 13.9%, so it's likely just a difference in margin by buyer along with a different price point by region, their deals have crept up since release, my restaurant friends in CA have told me best price on Dom 08 right now is $143, with no by the glass deals, only by the glass deals are Dom 2006.
ITB

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1703 Post by ERPark » January 6th, 2020, 9:58 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 8:43 pm
ERPark wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 7:50 pm
Kris Patten wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Purchase price isn't the same across States based on State laws and distributor pricing models.
Right. But my point isn’t so much about state to state differences. The pricing in-region, as well as SoCal versus NorCal, varies noticeably here in CA. Any possible county and city taxes on alcohol can’t possibly account for the $142.89 pricing on Dom P I’ve seen here in the SF Bay Area, and the $154.99 pricing down south in Orange County posted by another forumite.
There are 3 Costco buyers in CA, NorCal, SoCal and San Diego, and their top margin % available is 13.9%, so it's likely just a difference in margin by buyer along with a different price point by region, their deals have crept up since release, my restaurant friends in CA have told me best price on Dom 08 right now is $143, with no by the glass deals, only by the glass deals are Dom 2006.
Still doesn’t explain the variance in pricing from Costco locations one or two towns from each other. When I’m traveling locally to mtgs, I can stop by 2 or 3 Costcos if my clients and mtgs are spaced out just so. More often than not, no two Costcos will have the same price on Dom P, NV Veuve Clicquot and NV Moet & Chandon.

I have noticed that Costco locations locally which have a Total Wine nearby (as in a mile or less away) will invariably have the lowest prices on alcohol, as compared to other local Costco locations where the nearest Total Wine is a couple towns away. All within the same region, all presumably with the same head buyer.

And don’t get me started on gas prices at Costco locations in this region. We have several refineries in the area, so logically the locations further from those refineries would post a higher pump price due to longer transport. Yet I’ve oftentimes seen the best pricing at locations that are much further from the refineries than the locations that are 30 miles closer (and those closer locations are in cities/towns with lower land values).
GEN3

jbray23
Posts: 2731
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 3:56 pm

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1704 Post by jbray23 » January 6th, 2020, 11:10 pm

ERPark wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 9:58 pm
Kris Patten wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 8:43 pm
ERPark wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 7:50 pm

Right. But my point isn’t so much about state to state differences. The pricing in-region, as well as SoCal versus NorCal, varies noticeably here in CA. Any possible county and city taxes on alcohol can’t possibly account for the $142.89 pricing on Dom P I’ve seen here in the SF Bay Area, and the $154.99 pricing down south in Orange County posted by another forumite.
There are 3 Costco buyers in CA, NorCal, SoCal and San Diego, and their top margin % available is 13.9%, so it's likely just a difference in margin by buyer along with a different price point by region, their deals have crept up since release, my restaurant friends in CA have told me best price on Dom 08 right now is $143, with no by the glass deals, only by the glass deals are Dom 2006.
Still doesn’t explain the variance in pricing from Costco locations one or two towns from each other. When I’m traveling locally to mtgs, I can stop by 2 or 3 Costcos if my clients and mtgs are spaced out just so. More often than not, no two Costcos will have the same price on Dom P, NV Veuve Clicquot and NV Moet & Chandon.

I have noticed that Costco locations locally which have a Total Wine nearby (as in a mile or less away) will invariably have the lowest prices on alcohol, as compared to other local Costco locations where the nearest Total Wine is a couple towns away. All within the same region, all presumably with the same head buyer.

And don’t get me started on gas prices at Costco locations in this region. We have several refineries in the area, so logically the locations further from those refineries would post a higher pump price due to longer transport. Yet I’ve oftentimes seen the best pricing at locations that are much further from the refineries than the locations that are 30 miles closer (and those closer locations are in cities/towns with lower land values).

Could also be volume pricing they are buying at...
Jason, back itb

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4856
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1705 Post by Kris Patten » January 7th, 2020, 5:42 am

Gene,

Total is a big issue for Costco, you answered the question, as Costco price matches/surveys Total and vice versa with Total running many items at or below cost as loss leaders to drive consumer foot traffic then pitch them on their private labels once they are in the door. If 2008 Dom is $143 in CA right now and Total has it for $145, Costco will match that price regardless of the poor margin.
ITB

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1706 Post by ERPark » January 7th, 2020, 6:35 am

jbray23 wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 11:10 pm
ERPark wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 9:58 pm
Kris Patten wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 8:43 pm


There are 3 Costco buyers in CA, NorCal, SoCal and San Diego, and their top margin % available is 13.9%, so it's likely just a difference in margin by buyer along with a different price point by region, their deals have crept up since release, my restaurant friends in CA have told me best price on Dom 08 right now is $143, with no by the glass deals, only by the glass deals are Dom 2006.
Still doesn’t explain the variance in pricing from Costco locations one or two towns from each other. When I’m traveling locally to mtgs, I can stop by 2 or 3 Costcos if my clients and mtgs are spaced out just so. More often than not, no two Costcos will have the same price on Dom P, NV Veuve Clicquot and NV Moet & Chandon.

I have noticed that Costco locations locally which have a Total Wine nearby (as in a mile or less away) will invariably have the lowest prices on alcohol, as compared to other local Costco locations where the nearest Total Wine is a couple towns away. All within the same region, all presumably with the same head buyer.

And don’t get me started on gas prices at Costco locations in this region. We have several refineries in the area, so logically the locations further from those refineries would post a higher pump price due to longer transport. Yet I’ve oftentimes seen the best pricing at locations that are much further from the refineries than the locations that are 30 miles closer (and those closer locations are in cities/towns with lower land values).

Could also be volume pricing they are buying at...
I highly doubt individual stores would be entering into purchase contracts with the suppliers.
GEN3

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1707 Post by ERPark » January 7th, 2020, 6:53 am

Kris Patten wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 5:42 am
Gene,

Total is a big issue for Costco, you answered the question, as Costco price matches/surveys Total and vice versa with Total running many items at or below cost as loss leaders to drive consumer foot traffic then pitch them on their private labels once they are in the door. If 2008 Dom is $143 in CA right now and Total has it for $145, Costco will match that price regardless of the poor margin.
Kris, I get why Costcos near a Total Wine would have pricing reflecting that competitive threat. What still hasn’t been justified here is this actual real world example that exists in the Bay Area:

1) Costco A store is right next to a Total Wine, and has priced their Dom P at $142.89
2) Costco B is 10 miles to the north, and has priced their Dom at $144.99
3) Costco C is 12 miles to the east, and has their Dom at $149.99

I see the justification for two different prices, based on the proximity or not to TW. But 3 different prices at 3 stores within a short drive of each other makes me wonder if this is a corporate HQ decision, or regional level decision, or at the individual store’s discretion for determining the pricing. The parallel would be if Home Depot has three different prices for the same lighting fixture at 3 stores equidistant from each other.
GEN3

jbray23
Posts: 2731
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 3:56 pm

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1708 Post by jbray23 » January 7th, 2020, 7:47 am

ERPark wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 6:35 am
jbray23 wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 11:10 pm
ERPark wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 9:58 pm

Still doesn’t explain the variance in pricing from Costco locations one or two towns from each other. When I’m traveling locally to mtgs, I can stop by 2 or 3 Costcos if my clients and mtgs are spaced out just so. More often than not, no two Costcos will have the same price on Dom P, NV Veuve Clicquot and NV Moet & Chandon.

I have noticed that Costco locations locally which have a Total Wine nearby (as in a mile or less away) will invariably have the lowest prices on alcohol, as compared to other local Costco locations where the nearest Total Wine is a couple towns away. All within the same region, all presumably with the same head buyer.

And don’t get me started on gas prices at Costco locations in this region. We have several refineries in the area, so logically the locations further from those refineries would post a higher pump price due to longer transport. Yet I’ve oftentimes seen the best pricing at locations that are much further from the refineries than the locations that are 30 miles closer (and those closer locations are in cities/towns with lower land values).

Could also be volume pricing they are buying at...
I highly doubt individual stores would be entering into purchase contracts with the suppliers.
That’s not how it works, there is no contract. There are certain thresholds that someone buys at to get a certain price, there are 5,10, 56 case prices with different price breaks, it may be that certain stores can hit certain price levels so they get the ‘best’ price......
Jason, back itb

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19418
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1709 Post by Alan Rath » January 7th, 2020, 8:10 am

To my knowledge, individual stores aren't buying. There are regional buyers that supply all the stores in their region. Individual stores (or someone in corporate) may decide to price items differently at different locations (they must, as Gene says prices can be different).
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1710 Post by ERPark » January 7th, 2020, 8:14 am

jbray23 wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 7:47 am
ERPark wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 6:35 am
jbray23 wrote:
January 6th, 2020, 11:10 pm



Could also be volume pricing they are buying at...
I highly doubt individual stores would be entering into purchase contracts with the suppliers.
That’s not how it works, there is no contract. There are certain thresholds that someone buys at to get a certain price, there are 5,10, 56 case prices with different price breaks, it may be that certain stores can hit certain price levels so they get the ‘best’ price......
I see now you were referring to the alcohol.

Still doesn’t make sense IMO to speculate that individual locations get different price breaks based on volume. Why wouldn’t Costco negotiate this at a system-wide level, the way any large retailer would? What corporate number cruncher would be OK with stores receiving different COGS from the manufacturer/supplier?

Products get delivered to one of Costco’s distribution centers, then get trucked to the individual stores. I don’t recall ever seeing anything besides a Costco truck in their stores’ loading docks. Requiring corporate to assign a different COGS to each store based upon each store’s volume is a nightmare that no one in the Finance department would be OK with shouldering.
GEN3

jbray23
Posts: 2731
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 3:56 pm

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1711 Post by jbray23 » January 7th, 2020, 10:04 am

In our area there is no Costco hub or fulfillment center, we deliver directly to each Costco.

Your comparison to larger chain retail isnt really apples to apples, liquor laws are different, in Washington state, you can’t legally ‘make a deal’ with wine/liquor, you can set pricing tiers and the company chooses to follow them or not.

In our area there is a regional buyer that knows pricing and orders directly from us...

The only other thing I can figure is that local taxes may be different per county, which could factor into the discrepancy.
Jason, back itb

User avatar
B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4005
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Location: Calif.

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1712 Post by B. Buzzini » January 7th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Anyone ever see Krug at Costco? How about mags of Champs like DP, Tait, Cristal...?
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1713 Post by ERPark » January 7th, 2020, 6:09 pm

jbray23 wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 10:04 am
In our area there is no Costco hub or fulfillment center, we deliver directly to each Costco.

Your comparison to larger chain retail isnt really apples to apples, liquor laws are different, in Washington state, you can’t legally ‘make a deal’ with wine/liquor, you can set pricing tiers and the company chooses to follow them or not.

In our area there is a regional buyer that knows pricing and orders directly from us...

The only other thing I can figure is that local taxes may be different per county, which could factor into the discrepancy.
I’m not aware of any city or county in the Bay Area that collects an additional tax on alcohol. The business community would be in an uproar about it, as savvy consumers would buy their alcohol the next city or town over that doesn’t have an alcohol tax. Individual cities and counties can and do add a special tax on top of the 6% sales tax that goes to the state, .25% that goes to the county and 1% that goes to the city. Most cities and towns in the Bay Area have a 9.25% sales tax, but some go as high as 9.75%. San Francisco amazingly has a sales tax rate of 8.5%. But that’s the sales tax rate collected on everything that is taxable, including alcohol.

I love shopping at a Costco more than most Costco members do. But there isn’t much justification for 3 different prices for Dom P here locally, other than Costco choosing to have 3 different prices.
GEN3

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1714 Post by ERPark » January 7th, 2020, 6:14 pm

B. Buzzini wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 5:20 pm
Anyone ever see Krug at Costco? How about mags of Champs like DP, Tait, Cristal...?
I saw MV Krug at the South SF El Camino Real Costco this past weekend for $199.99 a bottle. First time I’ve seen Krug MV at any Costco in a couple years. Vintage Krug does show up in Costcos, but not frequently. I bought a bit over a case of 2003 Krug awhile back.

Haven’t seen mags of the tete de cuvées in awhile. I remember many years ago getting a mag of ‘90 Dom P at a local Costco for not much more than what a couple 750s of DP cost.

2007 Salon is in a few Costcos locally. $499.99 is a hard pass for my wallet......
GEN3

markjchambers
Posts: 144
Joined: April 19th, 2019, 6:55 am

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1715 Post by markjchambers » January 7th, 2020, 6:42 pm

I finally joined because we finally got a star in Dayton, Ohio. Unfortunately the Dayton store's wine selections pretty basic. A few interesting things like Two Hands Angel Share for $19.99 (us that a good deal?). But really nothing compared to the wine shops in the area. But not that I'm a member I can go anywhere. Maybe the stores in Cincinnati or Columbus (or Cleveland) are better.

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2972
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1716 Post by Rich Brown » January 8th, 2020, 8:04 am

B. Buzzini wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 5:20 pm
Anyone ever see Krug at Costco? How about mags of Champs like DP, Tait, Cristal...?
This past summer - easily the best deal I've ever scored at Costco. Only 1 bottle left but I grabbed it immediately and laughed hysterically all the way to the checkout ;)

[media] [/media]

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4856
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1717 Post by Kris Patten » January 8th, 2020, 8:14 am

jbray23 wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 10:04 am
In our area there is no Costco hub or fulfillment center, we deliver directly to each Costco.

Your comparison to larger chain retail isnt really apples to apples, liquor laws are different, in Washington state, you can’t legally ‘make a deal’ with wine/liquor, you can set pricing tiers and the company chooses to follow them or not.

In our area there is a regional buyer that knows pricing and orders directly from us...

The only other thing I can figure is that local taxes may be different per county, which could factor into the discrepancy.
This isn't true, we deliver to their Depot and they distribute to stores from there in WA specifically. WA law makes it easy....buy X amount of cases, get X price and it's available to everyone who can buy X amount of cases. CA has account level pricing so conceivably every licensee in CA could receive a different price.

Costco can price their goods any way they want up to 13.9% margin, so one store can easily be different than another if the store so chooses.
ITB

Nick F.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 145
Joined: January 5th, 2019, 11:51 am

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1718 Post by Nick F. » January 8th, 2020, 9:00 am

2016 chateau senejac
14.99
i a s c o n e

User avatar
Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 2557
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1719 Post by Robert M yers » January 8th, 2020, 9:08 am

markjchambers wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 6:42 pm
I finally joined because we finally got a star in Dayton, Ohio. Unfortunately the Dayton store's wine selections pretty basic. A few interesting things like Two Hands Angel Share for $19.99 (us that a good deal?). But really nothing compared to the wine shops in the area. But not that I'm a member I can go anywhere. Maybe the stores in Cincinnati or Columbus (or Cleveland) are better.
Don’t bother here. I think they don’t even try in Ohio because the mandatory minimum markups just don’t fit their undercutting on price style.

markjchambers
Posts: 144
Joined: April 19th, 2019, 6:55 am

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1720 Post by markjchambers » January 8th, 2020, 4:59 pm

You are spot on with your comment on Ohio pricing. Small wonder I buy 90% of my wine from out of state. I'm not that far from Kentucky and I've heard the store in Florence has a serious wine department. I will check it out.

jbray23
Posts: 2731
Joined: September 2nd, 2010, 3:56 pm

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1721 Post by jbray23 » January 8th, 2020, 8:00 pm

Kris Patten wrote:
January 8th, 2020, 8:14 am
jbray23 wrote:
January 7th, 2020, 10:04 am
In our area there is no Costco hub or fulfillment center, we deliver directly to each Costco.

Your comparison to larger chain retail isnt really apples to apples, liquor laws are different, in Washington state, you can’t legally ‘make a deal’ with wine/liquor, you can set pricing tiers and the company chooses to follow them or not.

In our area there is a regional buyer that knows pricing and orders directly from us...

The only other thing I can figure is that local taxes may be different per county, which could factor into the discrepancy.
This isn't true, we deliver to their Depot and they distribute to stores from there in WA specifically. WA law makes it easy....buy X amount of cases, get X price and it's available to everyone who can buy X amount of cases. CA has account level pricing so conceivably every licensee in CA could receive a different price.

Costco can price their goods any way they want up to 13.9% margin, so one store can easily be different than another if the store so chooses.
Interesting, I wonder why they don’t bulk order from us? Clearly we are not big enough to justify the cost savings... we deliver store to store.
Jason, back itb

Aaron Klink
Posts: 15
Joined: March 7th, 2011, 11:18 pm
Location: SF

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1722 Post by Aaron Klink » January 10th, 2020, 9:00 pm

SF tonight with

2008 Dom $156
2008 La Grande Dame $127
2008 La Grande Dame Rosé $267

User avatar
Ed Steinway
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1556
Joined: March 14th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1723 Post by Ed Steinway » January 11th, 2020, 8:41 am

The Danville, Ca. Costco had these 2016 Bordeaux in stock last weekend.

D'Armailhac $45.99
Malescot $58.99
Giscours $63.99
D'Issan $69.99

User avatar
Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 123
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 9:14 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1724 Post by Geoff F. » January 11th, 2020, 10:05 pm

Picked up the Malescot at Woodinville last night. Wonderful wine.
F r a n z

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3242
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1725 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » January 12th, 2020, 7:58 am

Still plenty of 2008 DP at the Southlake TX Costco...
Attachments
D34AF674-5AD6-4E13-82A4-7E19293F7628.jpeg

User avatar
ERPark
Posts: 3192
Joined: March 7th, 2015, 6:48 am

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1726 Post by ERPark » January 12th, 2020, 8:07 am

Aaron Klink wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 9:00 pm
SF tonight with

2008 Dom $156
2008 La Grande Dame $127
2008 La Grande Dame Rosé $267
So now that’s 4 different prices for the ‘08 Dom P at Costcos within a 45 minute drive of each other here in the Bay Area.
GEN3

Won H. L e e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19
Joined: January 2nd, 2019, 7:05 pm

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1727 Post by Won H. L e e » January 12th, 2020, 2:10 pm

ERPark wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 8:07 am
Aaron Klink wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 9:00 pm
SF tonight with

2008 Dom $156
2008 La Grande Dame $127
2008 La Grande Dame Rosé $267
So now that’s 4 different prices for the ‘08 Dom P at Costcos within a 45 minute drive of each other here in the Bay Area.


wonder if they take into consideration of operational margin. Maintaining SF location prob would cost them more than south SF location, and price may reflect that

having said that, what do you guys think about those 10 dollars a bottle 4th suidurait sauterne found at costco? Not a huge sauterne drinker, but am trying to dive into it . ( I blame my colleague for getting me hooked)

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4856
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1728 Post by Kris Patten » January 12th, 2020, 2:47 pm

ERPark wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 8:07 am
Aaron Klink wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 9:00 pm
SF tonight with

2008 Dom $156
2008 La Grande Dame $127
2008 La Grande Dame Rosé $267
So now that’s 4 different prices for the ‘08 Dom P at Costcos within a 45 minute drive of each other here in the Bay Area.
At $143 a bottle wholesale, as quoted by a friend in CA to me, they can be anywhere from $143.01 to $166, since CA is a country economy, not a State, like WA with all 31 stores, I wouldn't be surprised at some form of pricing autonomy by store per department manager.
ITB

User avatar
Tim Heaton
Posts: 1159
Joined: September 8th, 2011, 4:11 pm
Location: Castle Rock, Colorado or Piemonte

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1729 Post by Tim Heaton » January 12th, 2020, 3:01 pm

Aaron Klink wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 9:00 pm
SF tonight with

2008 Dom $156
2008 La Grande Dame $127
2008 La Grande Dame Rosé $267

at my local Costco (Park Meadows), or AJs, just bought:

2008 Dom x 12 @ $137
2008 LGD x2 @ $137
2008 LGD Rose @ $249 x 1

and at K&L Krug 168eme x7 @ $137
ITB italianwine.blog
CT: Tim Heaton

D0mi S0pk0
Posts: 4
Joined: November 8th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1730 Post by D0mi S0pk0 » January 12th, 2020, 6:08 pm

Novato Costco had the 08 Dom at 149.99 through the end of December. Yesterday they were 154.99.

User avatar
B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4005
Joined: April 20th, 2009, 7:08 pm
Location: Calif.

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1731 Post by B. Buzzini » January 12th, 2020, 9:10 pm

Tim Heaton wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Aaron Klink wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 9:00 pm
SF tonight with

2008 Dom $156
2008 La Grande Dame $127
2008 La Grande Dame Rosé $267


and at K&L Krug 168eme x7 @ $137
How??? It’s been $169 at K/L since arrival? [scratch.gif]
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

User avatar
Tim Heaton
Posts: 1159
Joined: September 8th, 2011, 4:11 pm
Location: Castle Rock, Colorado or Piemonte

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1732 Post by Tim Heaton » January 13th, 2020, 6:40 am

B. Buzzini wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 9:10 pm
Tim Heaton wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 3:01 pm
Aaron Klink wrote:
January 10th, 2020, 9:00 pm
SF tonight with

2008 Dom $156
2008 La Grande Dame $127
2008 La Grande Dame Rosé $267
and at K&L Krug 168eme x7 @ $137
How??? It’s been $169 at K/L since arrival? [scratch.gif]
typo, sorry (actually $167, a combo of $169/$165 I paid at two sources)
ITB italianwine.blog
CT: Tim Heaton

User avatar
Rory K.
Posts: 377
Joined: January 9th, 2017, 7:19 pm
Location: Los Angeles, California

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1733 Post by Rory K. » January 14th, 2020, 9:22 pm

The Atwater Village Costco (near Glendale, CA) until recently had a relatively poor wine selection and just expanded it (probably twice the size as it was before). The usual suspects (Oyster Bay, Guidal CdR) but plenty of new drinkable standards to explore too. Very happy that this location rectified the poor wine section and hope it sticks! Grabbed a Delamotte NV and Carbonneiux 2016 for $39 a piece.
K i n n e a r

ITB

User avatar
Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 750
Joined: February 25th, 2014, 8:53 pm

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1734 Post by Glen Gold » January 14th, 2020, 9:31 pm

Rory K. wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 9:22 pm
The Atwater Village Costco (near Glendale, CA) until recently had a relatively poor wine selection and just expanded it (probably twice the size as it was before). The usual suspects (Oyster Bay, Guidal CdR) but plenty of new drinkable standards to explore too. Very happy that this location rectified the poor wine section and hope it sticks! Grabbed a Delamotte NV and Carbonneiux 2016 for $39 a piece.
That's good to hear - I'd given up. Some okay cru bourgeois values but nothing outstanding - I'll keep an eye out. Thanks!
Avatar = Jeremy from Peep Show.

User avatar
ATaylor
Posts: 1045
Joined: December 21st, 2012, 2:44 pm
Location: San Carlos, CA/Donato, Italy

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1735 Post by ATaylor » January 14th, 2020, 11:42 pm

D0mi S0pk0 wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 6:08 pm
Novato Costco had the 08 Dom at 149.99 through the end of December. Yesterday they were 154.99.
Yep the Mtn View was one of the low Bay Area srores at $142.89...they just bumped to $148.99.
@ndrew

User avatar
Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19418
Joined: April 24th, 2009, 12:45 am
Location: Bay Area, CA. Sometimes out to lunch.

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1736 Post by Alan Rath » January 15th, 2020, 8:37 am

ATaylor wrote:
January 14th, 2020, 11:42 pm
D0mi S0pk0 wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 6:08 pm
Novato Costco had the 08 Dom at 149.99 through the end of December. Yesterday they were 154.99.
Yep the Mtn View was one of the low Bay Area srores at $142.89...they just bumped to $148.99.
Got my two bottles at Sunnyvale in April of last year for $138
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3842
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1737 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » January 15th, 2020, 8:45 am

Tim Heaton wrote:
January 13th, 2020, 6:40 am
B. Buzzini wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 9:10 pm
Tim Heaton wrote:
January 12th, 2020, 3:01 pm


and at K&L Krug 168eme x7 @ $137
How??? It’s been $169 at K/L since arrival? [scratch.gif]
typo, sorry (actually $167, a combo of $169/$165 I paid at two sources)
Gordon’s has it for 154 and plcb actually has it for 156 atm.

Jim McCully
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 27
Joined: December 17th, 2016, 9:40 pm

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1738 Post by Jim McCully » January 15th, 2020, 11:36 pm

Kona store today had a new bin of Clerc Milon ($75)and Clos Marquis ($55), both 2016
Scooped both as well as a Kirkland’17 Chablis 1’er for tonight’s dinner
The Clos Marquis is a definite buy, good now but potentially great after a long sleep. The Chablis is a QPR knockout, at $17 but only 2cs were on display

New additions were in the bubbles;
Rustico Prosecco for $10 and Baron Rothschilds NV Blanc ($40) and Rose ($55)
Not much CT reviews, anyone have feedback on these ?

(and still lots of ‘08 DP @$165.....as well as another 6’er of 2015 Ornellaia with the single bottle of Il Carisma for flat price of $179 )

New wine guy is Tony, very helpful and trying hard...but I still miss Robin !)

Jim McCully
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 27
Joined: December 17th, 2016, 9:40 pm

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1739 Post by Jim McCully » January 15th, 2020, 11:47 pm

They also had 1 last 3.0 Freemark Abbey 2015 cab at $99
Seemed like a great party bottle in a few years so I scooped it up. 3.0 of 2017 Cambria Chard Kathleen’s 2017 for $69....and they still have 1/2 doz 3.0’s of 2015 Stags Leap at $259....hard pass )

User avatar
Francois Olivier
Posts: 79
Joined: December 25th, 2015, 7:06 am
Location: Paris, France

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1740 Post by Francois Olivier » January 17th, 2020, 12:28 pm

and at K&L Krug 168eme x7 @ $137
$137 or $160 it’s cheap

> $ 170 in France
Wesh ma poule

User avatar
Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1242
Joined: July 31st, 2018, 9:49 am
Location: MA / FL

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1741 Post by Jim Stewart » January 22nd, 2020, 3:12 pm

Scott Brunson wrote:
January 1st, 2020, 3:51 am
Not crazy prices but decent buys in Boca
15 Palazzo della Torre for 12.99
16 Frog's Leap Cab for 45.99
17 Carmes de Rieussec for 12.99
Scott, I think the '17 Carmes de Rieussec is a "winner". I bought a single bottle to try and then went back for several more. @Ft Myers.
An aged man is but a paltry thing,
A tattered coat upon a stick, unless
Soul clap its hands and sing

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 569
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 8:36 am

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1742 Post by Hank Victor » January 22nd, 2020, 3:33 pm

Jim McCully wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 11:36 pm
Kona store today had a new bin of Clerc Milon ($75)and Clos Marquis ($55), both 2016
Scooped both as well as a Kirkland’17 Chablis 1’er for tonight’s dinner
The Clos Marquis is a definite buy, good now but potentially great after a long sleep. The Chablis is a QPR knockout, at $17 but only 2cs were on display

New additions were in the bubbles;
Rustico Prosecco for $10 and Baron Rothschilds NV Blanc ($40) and Rose ($55)
Not much CT reviews, anyone have feedback on these ?

(and still lots of ‘08 DP @$165.....as well as another 6’er of 2015 Ornellaia with the single bottle of Il Carisma for flat price of $179 )

New wine guy is Tony, very helpful and trying hard...but I still miss Robin !)
How was the Kirkland 1er Chablis? TN?
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

H V br1M@

Abbie S.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 65
Joined: March 29th, 2011, 11:09 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1743 Post by Abbie S. » January 22nd, 2020, 5:13 pm

Has anyone tried the 2017 Kirkland Willamette Pinot? Is it worth picking up a few bottles? Just saw it at my local store.
I did pick up the '16 Oakville Cab, which I've had and enjoyed.
salovon

User avatar
John Kight
Posts: 683
Joined: September 7th, 2009, 5:45 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1744 Post by John Kight » January 23rd, 2020, 6:25 am

Hank Victor wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 3:33 pm
How was the Kirkland 1er Chablis? TN?
I've had both the '16 and '17 over the last week, and both are very good. Not sure I have a preference of one over the other, but the '16 seemed a bit richer, while the '17 seemed more classic Chablis (steely, minerally, etc.), with the '16 showing more complexity at this point (but possibly not having the longevity potential of the '17).

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 569
Joined: July 21st, 2018, 8:36 am

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1745 Post by Hank Victor » January 23rd, 2020, 8:24 am

John Kight wrote:
January 23rd, 2020, 6:25 am
Hank Victor wrote:
January 22nd, 2020, 3:33 pm
How was the Kirkland 1er Chablis? TN?
I've had both the '16 and '17 over the last week, and both are very good. Not sure I have a preference of one over the other, but the '16 seemed a bit richer, while the '17 seemed more classic Chablis (steely, minerally, etc.), with the '16 showing more complexity at this point (but possibly not having the longevity potential of the '17).
Thank you!
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

H V br1M@

Jeff_D
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 32
Joined: January 25th, 2016, 1:29 pm

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1746 Post by Jeff_D » January 23rd, 2020, 10:10 am

I'm not a Chablis/ (or White Burgundy) expert by any means but the 2017 Kirkland Chablis seemed like a nice wine for the price (~$19). I paired with the Dungeness Crab (from Costco). I saved some of the wine for the next night under VacuVin in the refrigerator. Seemed better/fresher on the first night but still fine.
————-
1L1B3RTO

User avatar
ATaylor
Posts: 1045
Joined: December 21st, 2012, 2:44 pm
Location: San Carlos, CA/Donato, Italy

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1747 Post by ATaylor » January 23rd, 2020, 2:57 pm

Mtn View has the 08 Lenny Kravitz DP for the same $148.99 price as the regular.
@ndrew

User avatar
Geoff F.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 123
Joined: February 22nd, 2019, 9:14 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1748 Post by Geoff F. » January 23rd, 2020, 9:12 pm

Seattle SODO has the 2017 Reynvaan In the Hills Syrah for $65.
F r a n z

Demian Saenz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 91
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 7:28 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1749 Post by Demian Saenz » January 25th, 2020, 8:19 am

Dedham, MA has the ‘08 Dom back in stock $144.

slada
Posts: 156
Joined: June 7th, 2009, 10:15 pm

Re: Official Costco Thread

#1750 Post by slada » January 25th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Mountain View also with 2017 Beringer private reserve chardonnay 23.99

Not everyone’s style but delicious at the right times imo
cheers, sam lada

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”