Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard Cabernet = Time warp

It’s been awhile since I’ve opened a wine that really “wowed” me on the upside, but this one really did. At the advice of Daniel Posner, I bought a bottle of 2013 Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyard Cabernet, Luchessi Vineyard for around $40 and tried it a few days later. I was hesitant to open as I typically like my wines with some age on them and rarely open them young. I was not disappointed with this young wine as it was great now.

It was like I went back in time to when a good (and affordable) Cali cab was about terroir and not massive ripe fruit. Coming in around 13.5% alcohol, this wine was earthy, balanced and delicious with enough acid and structure to lead me to believe it will cellar well and get better in time.
It reminded me of Dunn or Togni or older Mayacamas.

For all of you old school Cali lovers…you should check this one out.

Great minds and all that…

http://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2118966#p2118966

I liked this one a lot, too.

I think they are one of the greatest.

I love their pinot noirs, as well.

I’ll try and seek one out to try. What style are they?

Both their Pinot and Cabernet are of the classic style, with lower-alcohol and bright acidity. I was fortunate to visit the winery and get a private tour from Jeff Emery, the winemaker. If you’re ever in Santa Cruz, the winery would be at the top of my list.

Thanks. I hope to make it out there ad visit Ridge and Rhys as well.

It is worth joining their club, especially if you can get to their pick up party. Last year they were pouring cabs and pinots with 20 - 30 years of age on them. Quite the experience!

To add on the the above posts Jeff Emery has been hitting it out of the park for years now and is flying way under the radar. If you get the chance definitely check out the wines including his Quinta Cruz label for Iberian Peninsula varieties. And check out the brandies he makes under the Osocalis label.

FWIW and a disclaimer the Luchessi Vineyard is owned by my brother and sisters second grade teacher, a great teacher and farmer.