Cabernet Sauvignon from California

What producers make great Cabs for those of us who prize complexity, balance and finesse over power and extraction?
I appreciate any information here.
From a Burgundy drinker.

EMH

I’d start with Mayacamas, though I don’t know what will be happening to that wine going forward. The wines Aaron Pott makes for his own “Pott” label are perhaps not “shy”, but they are definitely complex and balanced, not overwhelmed by oak, ripeness, or extraction. Tasting through his lineup is a lesson in terroir, for sure.

Ridge, Mount Eden, Arnot-Roberts, Hyde de Villaine…

Cathy Corison.

Philip Togni [to include his work at Chappellet].

Some vintages of Fisher Wedding [although I haven’t had it since they replanted the vineyard].

The 1995 Mondavi Reserve - Tim Mondavi’s AFWE masterpiece.

Also, check out the 2011 vintage (and this is not in specific regard to Corison)…some great wines in there from a panned vintage if you are selective…avoid 2013 if you have issues with higher alcs…almost universally high conversion of brix to alc vintage…the 2014’s are just coming out and are very lithe, sexy wines, feminine if you will, with nervy, juicy cores - much less the tannic monsters we saw in 2013 (again, as a general rule) with alcohols more in the lower range of 14%…still, they’re babies.

Ridge Monte Bello, Forman, Spottswoode and Mount Eden would be my first choices, based on wines I have had a number of vintages of.

Thanks,
Ed

Kapscandy can be old world for style and not overbearingly fruity.

Spottswoode has great structure and balance. (I am surprised Parker liked it so much.)

You may like the Alpha Omega single vineyard cabs, and the Pott cabs are somewhat similar.

Roy Piper’s cabs are also well put together.

Myriad, Quivet, and carter are great, but more modern Cali in style.

If you like EMH, Rivers Marie is also structured for balance. Robert Young also makes very good reds.

Pahlmeyer, Forman, and Arrowood also bring great construction to the table.

For a glimpse of what great ‘old style’ Cali cab is like, look for A Rafanelli.

Those would all be a fine start.

The old E. and J. Gallo Northern Sonoma reserve bottlings.

Thank you, Michael. I do my best to keep it true to the site…I know those are great buzzwords in the business (and in the purchasing population), but I have danced to this tune since I produced my first vintage in 2000. Harvest “early” compared to the neighbors, work in the vineyard and taste taste taste, and go forward, just trying to not screw it up. Recent vintages come in at 23.3Brix to 24.9. It’s my wheelhouse, what my vineyard wants to do. And guess what? It’s what I like and my customers have come to expect.

That was cool insight.

Beyond what has been mentioned: Heitz, Matthiasson (!!)

I’m sorry to say but…Screaming Eagle…the Rousseau of Cabernet! :slight_smile:

This is great advice. I’m not a Napa Cab guy, but I’ve loved the few 11s I’ve tried. Lower ripeness, higher acidity, much more “classic” wines.

The prices have certainly skyrocketed under new ownership

I can’t agree with this. AO is pretty typical heavily oaked Napa Cab.

Honestly, most of Anton’s suggestions aren’t what Don’s looking for.

Lots of great suggestions so far, I would also add:

Bedrock
Dominus

I have high hopes for Ceritas as well, just haven’t tried one from my stash yet.

Korbin Kameron, though the Merlot is even better than the CS, it reminds me more of 1990 La Dominique than typical CA Merlot.

For a terrific inexpensive CS, look for Hobo Alexander Valley (and almost anything else from Kenny Likitprakong’s array of labels - Camp, Hobo, Folk Machine, Ghostwriter, and Banyan). I prefer the Hobo CS to the Camp version.

The 2011 Laurel Glen is delicious.