Quick Notes on Walla Walla Wine Trip

My wife and I are just back from a long weekend in Walla Walla and the Gorge. I solicited some Berserker advice beforehand so I thought I’d report back.
We started from Portland, and stopped at Syncline and COR Cellars in the Columbia Gorge en route to Walla Walla. These were both excellent and I would recommend either without reservation.
In Walla Walla, over the course of two days and mostly splitting tastings, we went to Kerloo, Maison Bleue, Ardor Cellars, College Cellars (The student tasting room at the local community college), Walla Walla Vintners, J&J, Palencia, Adamant, Tamarack and Mackey. We were attempting to try places we didn’t go when we were in town five years ago, so that meant skipping some reliably excellent places like Rasa, Rotie and Gramercy.
No bad wines, even among the student projects, but in general I found myself less enamored with the wines than I was when we were here last. I still liked many of them quite a bit, but I find myself increasingly interested in reds with a brightness and freshness that I generally found lacking here.
Still came home with a case that we’ll enjoy drinking, however.
If I was advising future travelers, my order of Walla Walla favorites would go Adamant, Walla Walla Vintners and Ardor. Adamant was really great top to bottom. Kerloo, Mackey and Tamarack also quite good.
One cool thing about Walla Walla is the generally uncrowded tasting rooms–we were tasting on a beautiful fall friday and saturday and were often the only people there. Did not wait for a tasting once.
Too, the people pouring wines were almost universally knowledgeable and friendly–they appear to be really glad you are there.
Dinners were at Passatempo and Saffron. The former was one of the best dining experiences I’ve had this year–just beautiful, simple italian with great cocktails–and the latter was fine but suffered in comparison.
Before catching a plane back east, we stopped at Great Notion Brewery in Portland, and holy cow they are making great beers. Lovely cloudy NE-style IPAs and delicious fruit sours. I’d drink roughly 75% more beer if my local places were like that.

Funny you mention Great Notion, one of my beer buyers can back raving about their beers, said he could drink them all day (sans the 9.5% alcohol) called it the adult Pog!

Glad you enjoyed Adamant, I went in there on a lark this winter when I saw that Buty was closed and loved everything they were pouring!

Double down on anything from Great Notion. My wife’s family is from Portland and it’s always a pleasure to visit them and check out the food/beer/wine scene in the area.

Were you planning on stopping by the brewery beforehand or did you get some intel to check it out on the trip?

I saw it referenced on some list–best new Portland breweries maybe–and started looking into it and saw all the raves. Had hoped to pop in before we left and we were able to find the time. Was incredibly jealous of the people walking out of there with their freshly canned crowlers. Truly superior product, it seemed.

Thanks for the note on Great Notion, my SIL likes a good beer, There are too many in town to keep track of, I’ll ask if he knows it and rec. if he doesn’t.

Dave, So many amazing places to visit but you nailed it. Definitely a spot to bring a growler and enjoy later.

Didn’t know that Passatiempo had finally opened. this is Jim German from the Jim German bar formerly in Waitsburg. Best bartender in the West.