TN: 2004 Leoville Poyferre, St. Julian

I really wanted to like this wine. I mean, what’s not to love - it’s a 12-year-old Bordeaux from a more classic, less ripe year, and heck, it’s a Classified Growth. It’s not a bad wine, actually, it’s a very decent wine. But, it’s also an uninteresting wine. Similar to the more ripe 2003, it’s quite California in style, dense fruit, lower acid and noticeable oak. Just not fresh and possessing a range of dark fruits that are slightly over-ripe for my palate. I decanted this wine for 2 hours and followed it for a couple of hours last night. Left a bit in the decanter and was not inspired to save it. I bought the 2014s, mostly because the $50 price seemed irresistible (it’s what I paid for this 2004 on release), but I think that I am done with this Chateau. I have 2 more bottles of this 2004, no rush, no sense of this wine even being at peak, just not sure if it will really get any better.

On the other hand, the Barton is excellent.

You would have loved the 1982 Langoa Barton we had the other night. It was everything you could ask for in a properly aged bordeaux. Just lovely.

I am holding out hope that the terroir on your Poyferres will shine through with age. Time turns the volume down

I have always found the Poyferre to be too “high toned”, too ripe, regardless of vintage. That’s its style (for my tastes).

That is NOW its style. In my youth I had wonderful Poyferres from 1966 and 1970. I recently had the 1970 again and it is still fabulous. Ruining this estate should be a crime.

Post a note, man!! I ordered all three of the Leovilles in 2014. It’s been quite some time since I have had a Langoa Barton. Reminds me last time I was in the Bern’s warehouse: They had 4-5 cases stacked on the floor of the 1961. Wish I would have checked the price on that one.

Currently the 1990 LPoyferre is one of the top stars of the vintage – fantastic! The '96 is pretty good too and I think will improve.

Funny, I had the 90 and 96 last week (along with the 2000). The 1990 was far and away the star of the show; in a very nice place with good fruit/acid/complexity.

Sorry Corey. You had the 1995, not the 1996.

Right…We were supposed to have the 96 and it was corked.

And I was the idiot who thought it would be a good idea to sample it just to confirm.

Totally.

Over time I have loved Leoville Barton more and more and Poyferre less and less because it tastes so…manipulated.

Barton has always been one of my favorite of the left bank estate. Classic stuff. It’s been a long time since I have been impressed with a Poyferre (a recent 1964 from Bern’s being an exception). What a shame.

Corey, what were your impressions on the 00? I have a couple but thinking to keep them buried until they are at 20 years or so, thanks.

00 LP is just beginning to open up in the last year. It’s getting close to the question of fruit vs complexity… it will last another 20 yrs easy… probably more.

Sound 96’s are drinking great right now, had one a few months ago. I still think they need a double decant / aeration to show their best though.