The Center Of Your Wine Universe?

About a decade ago, mine shifted from Bordeaux to Piedmont. What is the center of your wine universe? Has it changed over the years? If so, from what to what? Thanks.

Living in northern California, I admit to a local bias.

It’s like dating, you are more likely to end up with someone who lives in your area. [cheers.gif]

If California is my wife, then Bordeaux would be my mistress.

I mean that in gender neutral fashion, it’s just that I happen to have a wife, so I said it that way and do not mean to endorse adultery.

It’s been Chateau Musar (White & Red) for the better part of the last decade. It may be shifting to Champagne…but I still love Musar. I think as time passes, I’m balancing out the cellar & my drinking habits. I still have a strong passion for Burgundy, Piedmont, Germany, & Oregon.

I’ve loved old vine Zin since I first tasted Ridge Lytton Springs in the early 80s. It remains the center of my wine universe!

Buy American.

That is a pleasant universe.

CA Central Coast, with CA Napa/Sonoma coming in second. I’m trying very hard to branch out…

+1 except I’m not trying to branch out. :slight_smile:

One of my greatest wine pleasures is to get to taste with someone who has a different center of his or her wine universe than I do - great experiences! Someone did all the work of sorting through another region for me, and is providing me with a glimpse into his/her world…I love that!

Mine would be Napa, with a close neighboring universe being OR. It was Paso Robles at one time but that was short lived. It was Walla Walla at one time but that was short lived too.

Rocks area of the Walla Walla Valley with northern Rhone a close second.

Mine used to be purple drank.
It’s now AFWE.

I don’t mind the occasional PD slut though.

Wood aged fortified wines from Portugal. Includes Madeira, Colheita Port, Moscatel de Setubal.

I guess the center would be somewhere in the Atlantic, since I have about equal numbers US and European, with not enough from elsewhere to affect the weighting.

P Hickner

My universe has CellarTracker at the center with JJBuckley, Winex, K&L, garagiste, and Full Pull being the planets in orbit. :wink:

Really, my taste and cellar cover far and wide and I love the whole exploration just for exploration’s sake.

Last month Sicily was the center of my universe, this month I am going to occupy the Northern Rhone!

Wow. I could have written this. However, my first LS was not a Ridge bottling. It was called Lytton Springs Winery as I recall. I know that Ridge had been bottling LS fruit since the early 70s–maybe, for all I know, the 60s. The vineyard bottled under their own label for several years. I’m guessing that ended when Ridge bought the vineyard (1991?).

I’m still enamored with DCV.

Eclectalia, still. There are simply too many places to warm one’s soles…

mine’s been Bordeaux and probably still is, though I purchase so little of it since I’m the only one drinking it. Lately, the center is Ridge, specifically…

I live in two universes: California and Italy.