I am beginning to think that I am not a big Beaujolais fan

When I have had them young, I think they are ok. I have tried aging them like Gilman recommends and really haven’t noticed them turning into anything great. The latest wine I tried was a 2006 Desvignes Morgon. OK, but really not much to it.

I have a bit over a case of assorted Cru Beaujolais that I am aging to see what happens, but am not really into buying any more at this time.

Do what I do - whenever you think you might want a cru Bojo, grab a bottle of Chianti instead - same price, better wine :wink:

(Posted for Rich Trimpi’s benefit)

I like both but in no way does Chianti scratch the same itch for me. OTOH, Howard I am kind of thinking that I prefer my Beaujolais young too, so I’m just drinking most of them that way. Fresh Gamay fruit can be a really fun delicious wine. I enjoy the fruitiness of Gamay as I do few others. However, I too have a decent amount aging to see what I think down the line. What I’m fairly certain of is that they get pretty ugly a few years out from vintage. But then, so does Burgundy.

I feel like Beaujolais is tricky, some are 100% exactly what I want perfect amazing lifechanging desert island wines but most are insipid. Foillard’s Morgon ‘Cote du Py’ is one of my favorite wines. Thevenet’s Regnie ‘Grain & Granit’ and Anne Sophie DuBois’ Fleurie ‘Clepsydre’ are also fantastic. There are a handful of others I’ve had that made me very happy as well, but I’d say fewer than 30% I’ve had even bear mentioning. The difference between the best and the rest is incredibly striking.

try some old Chamonard. like the not so long ago late released 98 and if you don’t change your mind, than it’s just not your cup of tea.

more for me

I’ve never understood the appeal, and frankly don’t see the value of any gamay-based wine. More for those who do, I suppose

I try to love all wine, but find I agree with, you about Beaujolais.

Maybe it’s all the vowels.

If they ever have B _ _ _ J _ L _ _ S on Wheel of Fortune, I will own that puzzle.

I have one bottle of Beaujolais left in the cellar and I do not plan to buy more. It is just not for me. But right now I am drinking a Chianti Classico.

A friend snuck a '76 Fleurie into a tasting that was a showdown of Ballah Burgs and it stole the show. I had no idea that Bujo could do what that wine was doing some 40 years into its existence.

I know exactly what Howard and others have said, but lately I’ve really liked the gamays I’ve found locally

Not the same itch, or profile, unfortunately.

I think if you really don’t like Bojo, you don’t have to drink it. More Metras for the rest of us!

Beaujolais is such an incredibly versatile, approachable wine with meals. As a daily drinker with meals, I pretty much pop a Beaujolais almost every week. Just popped a 2013 Bedrock, which at 14.9%, way over-powered my meal. Wish I had popped something else.

I love Cru Beaujolais between 1-3 years old. The fruit is fresh and beautiful, it’s lively, refreshing, and fun to drink. Older Cru Bojo can be fantastic but it’s a bit hit or miss. I hate to say it but I also think the wines are getting riper and that the wines of the 80s and 90s were better long term cellar choices. (Just my opinion)

Like Marcus, I tend to drink my Beaujolias young, love the crunchy freshness. My preference is the same for Riesling, young. Most other wines, I prefer age.

:frowning:

You just had to ruin my day, didn’t you?

To me, Beaujolais are light, chalky, thin, and acidic.

That’s what Neal says about my Chinon. You guys are so cute, like twins!

I don’t consume much of this AOC, but do like them in the summer, at picnics, or with lighter foods.

They’re quite a bit different from the heavy stuff I normally keep around so are a nice change of pace.

But I can understand why some don’t get enthused.

I am with Philip the Bold, Duke of Burgundy at the end of the fourteenth Century:

Philip felt the presence of Gamay in the vineyards of Burgundy would harm the reputation of the fine wines he had worked so hard to promote, so he banished the grape from his kingdom. He declared Gamay “foul” and “harmful”, and in a royal decree denounced the “tres mauvais et tres desloyaus plant nomme gamay”, translated as, “the very evil and very disloyal plant called gamay”. Philip thus forbade the cultivation of Gamay in Burgundy and banished it from the Kingdom.