Retailers; Don't ship to Florida now.

3rd time in the last week I have had a retailer ship wine by FedX ground without notice. Its still in the 90’s here. And why no notice? Don’t retailers check the temperature at the receiving end of a shipment? The wine could spend the entire day in the back of an non-airconditioned truck with temperatures well over 90 degerees. I refuse to take a chance on these wines and have sent all 3 shipments sent back.

How do you know they won’t just reship the cooked wine to you, later?

Shhh!!!

So should I put a obscure mark on the bottles before sending them back?

That might amount to deliberate alteration, which would enable the retailer to say that you thereby cannot return.

Kinda makes you wonder about how concerned they are about the shipments they receive, doesn’t it?

i think all that water should cool down the wines. all good.

It would be really easy to mark them in a way that wouldn’t be noticeable.

If CdP, just smear with dung then.

A couple of the retailers I called said to try the wine and if it is not OK to send it back. Problem is most of these wines I want to drink in a few years from now. Who would agree to this? My preference was not to take a chance and refuse shipment or send back anything already delivered. I don’t want to find out 5 years from now the wine is oxidized.

Kick back to retailer.

I hate when retailers ship without permission. I never shop twice where this has been done.

My go-to stores have never done this to me, even accidentally (though a few have failed to ship when requested due to backlog issues).

Even better, now it’s going to sit in a warehouse waiting for the weather to pass!

What is left of Florida, after Matthew/Nicole, that is.

One retailer I called said, and you can’t make this up, we just check the weather where we are not where the wine is going. This retailer was new to me, but the other is a high profile nationally known wine seller.

Offer them a vacation this weekend in South Carolina.

How about a cruise to the Bahamas?

I would much rather have wine arrive late than too early.

It’s the reverse for me - I often buy from one or two places in Florida, and unless I’m picking them up when on vacation, these retailers will wait for my instructions or cooler weather (with notification to me) to ship.

Carrie is weather conscious on all shipments but we are Mom & Pop and feel that’s part of business. What I can’t understand is all the people who live in Florida and other southern states who demand we ship their $1200.00 worth of wine ground in the middle of the summer or the people in the northern states who want it shipped ground in the middle of winter.