2014 Scarecrow M. Etain

Got the embossed card today…orders go live October 5, 2016, at noon Eastern, and close at midnight October 9th. $165/bottle. Haven’t ordered in a few years, but have up to 8 bottles…

Who’s in on this?

I’d be interested in picking up a couple/few bottles from someone who isn’t taking their full allocation.

I’m going to grab my full 8.

Love the M’Etain. A great QPR, as I would much rather have 3-4 bottles to drink of that versus one Scarecrow.

Scarecrow is $300 on release, so you’re getting 1.8 bottles of Etain versus 1 Scarecrow.

I have a hard time paying $165 for a winery’s second wine, but I have heard that it’s a very good wine.

Any tastings ?

That’s assuming you have access to Scarecrow at $300 / bt. I would have to pay $500+ per Winesearcher for the 2012 Scarecrow, and 2013 is even higher.

I was thinking of Scarecrow in the secondary at $500+ per. This is my first year getting on their list so if that price point is still there for their '14 regular bottling I am IN.

I do not believe they do tastings (unless you’re the 0.01% and then of course they do)

And the M’Etain is better than 90% of wineries first wines…

I remember getting Scarecrow 2003 for, what, $75 a bottle. Times have surely changed.

In for 6.

But holy hell is shipping getting pricey. I know it’s a bit crazy to talk about high shipping prices when I’m buying six bottles of $165 wine, but to ship 2-day to Chicago costs:

$63 for each two pack ($31.50 per bottle)
$82 for the six pack ($13.67 per bottle)

Agreed. My allocation of 8 is costing me $95, from Napa to San Diego.

I cannot remember what i paid last year but it was excessive because they do not ship to SC so I had to use an alternate shipper. I decided I am skipping it this year, it is a bit pricey for me and there are other wineries I would prefer to support. If I ever make the Scarecrow list I will reconsider.

Website doesn’t work. Can’t advance to order.

None for me, $165 x 2 plus shipping is just not worth it. Rivers Marie Lore is ONLY $125 and to me is a much better wine. I bet it would crush the M. Etain in a blind tasting.

I was ready to buy this until I saw the shipping cost. Too bad - I would have liked to taste it.

The downside of wooden wine boxes with embossed tin lids…

They should have an option to remove the box for $50 less. I finally passed this year too due to shipping costs. Enough is enough.

Passed based on ratings/QRP.

I’ve never had this, and I actually don’t remember signing up for the list, but I bought two just for the heck of it… Will try one and decide whether to repeat next year.

Isn’t it amazing that in this day and age, wineries still lose customers based on shipping costs?

:astonished: :angry: :frowning:

They should employ the approach that PlumpJack/Odette/CADE follow. A flat fee for the year with unlimited free overnight shipping.

Kind of like the Amazon Prime approach. They will lose some $ on some customers but due to law of large numbers they will make it up on the ones who only have one shipment per year.

That, and you’d think they would have some clout with the shippers to get lower negotiated shipping contracts to pass along to their loyal wine enthusiasts