An unknown winery: JCB Wines.

My wife and I strolled past JCB Wine’s tasting room in Yountville, and I have never heard of it.

We did not taste, but I wondered if anyone here had familiarity with them?

We did taste JCB No. 21 sparkling at a local wine bar there and found it to be very Prosecco, “Sophia-like.” (It is not in my palate style, so no opinion from me on it.)

I Googled their wines and found wild variation in opinion, so I thought I’d ask y’all for the real scoop!

Part of the Jean-Charles Boisset group of wineries - ever-expanding group that it is. I’ve tasted 4 of the JCB wines, don’t remember which (all sparkling) and recall the only one I enjoyed was a Rose

Correct. Hell of a tasting room huh? More like a tricked out bordello…but that’s JC’s style baby.

Stopped by Raymond Vineyards (part of the JCB portfolio) in Rutherford this summer… definitely an entertaining and flamboyant place to visit. They also have a genuinely interesting outdoor exhibit on biodynamic winemaking.

I thought the wines we tasted were all quite decent.
2014 Raymond Generations Chardonnay
2014 LVE Collection Cabernet
2012 Coombsville Cabernet
2012 Yountville Cabernet
2013 Generations Cabernet

The Mrs liked it enough to join the wine club, and she has the better palate. RP gave 92s and 93s to several of their 2013 Cabernets, and 95 for their Generations Cabernet.

I’m surprised you thought JCB no 21 was like Prosecco or Sophia, but I don’t know what you usually drink or how you mean that. It always seems like a pretty typical Cremant de Bourgogne to me, sort of like a simpler, less expensive Champagne. I enjoy that and the rose. They won’t impress anyone who has a lot of experience, but I think they’re pretty good for the price.

Seemed like a very high RS, for my palate.

Their data says 11g/L.

Too high for me, hence not wanting to have an opinion. I would not be the right person to place it in its context.

Brut champagne is less than 2g/L, I think.

“Brut” Prosecco is about 12g/L, hence my comparison!

What’s up with that? We’re only 12 miles away. [smileyvault-ban.gif] We have plenty of Zardetto, champagne.gif

When I come visit you, I’m not doing it without bringing a present!

I will say, the cheesemonger next store is great. James has wonderful cheeses for a picnic, or snacks on the patio.

Atelier was awesome!

Great cheese, charcuterie, and delectables!

Even their premade sandwiches are delicious.

The cheese prices are a bargain, as well!

We took home 8 kinds! Four of which were new to us. exceedingly friendly, as well. I would give them five out of five stars.

I believe Brut champagne is allowed to have up to 12 g/L as well.

As long as you’re not following your dog around to get that present. [wink.gif]

Demi sec starts at 8-ish g/L, I think!

This is from the GuildSomm website:

Sweetness Levels for Champagne
Current
Brut Nature* 0-3 grams per liter
Extra Brut 0-6 grams per liter
Brut 0-12 grams per liter
Extra Dry 12-17 grams per liter
Sec 17-32 grams per liter
Demi-Sec 32-50 grams per liter
Doux 50+ grams per liter

As an aside, I’ve never had a Doux champagne and am sort of curious. That seems like such an absurd amount of sugar!

Yikes!

If it isn’t RS, then I completely refuse to discuss the relationship between that wine and my palate.

We tasted it with two Napa brut sparklers and it seemed HUGELY sweet!

Boisset is a charlatan and a douche bag. I’d sooner swill Barefoot Moscato for the rest of my life than give that asshole my money.
(My opinion, of course.)

He now has a tasting room in the Ritz Carlton San Francisco. Was just there. I cringed every time I walked by it, like a room devoted to pure pretentiousness, and I say that mindful that we were in a Ritz, which was otherwise quite elegant. A bordello is a good reference point, but not chic like Bern’s. Think gaudy, golden goblets, crystal champagne bottles, wine bottles with skulls. A complete embarrassment to the culture of wine. Perhaps I’m missing the joke (or the fun).

Wow, quite the zombie thread!
My opinion hasn’t changed in 3 years.

I had not heard of this winery so I searched here and found this thread. Not surprised to see the reaction by some, I share it. The new Cuvee has a skull on the label, and can be yours for the fair price of, $250!

447FA6CE-05B3-4150-81D4-FCFB024D0F3C.jpeg

Two weeks ago we spent a 3 day weekend in Healdsburg. On Saturday, our last stop as we tasted wines downtown around the square was the flamboyant JCB tasting room.

We have been fans of JCB’s Raymond winery in Napa since the winemaker gave our tasting group and wives a tour a few years ago.

It was the Healdsburg’s tasting room’s one year anniversary so they were having a party - a glass of champagne as you walk in, food everywhere, a great DJ and JCB himself came in and worked the room. Lots of nice gold jewelry around the room for sale.

My wife liked his champagne. I thought his N-1 cabernet ($225 a bottle) at $24 a glass was the best wine I had on the trip.

JCB and my lovely wife, Joanne.