TN: 2013 Littorai "Platt Vineyard", Sonoma Coast

2013 Littorai “Platt Vineyard” Pinot Noir, Sonoma Coast, $?
From a vineyard in Freestone. Platt is perhaps the highest-quality Burgundian “cold” vineyard I know of, except maybe “Peay.” Deep translucent ruby color. Medium-bodied. Notes of bright cherry, baking soda and a nice slice of oak. Everything in proper proportion. Balance is stunning. Nice structure and feels well put together. Feels “contained” and in no way cloying. How does he do this at 13.4% alcohol? Would scare a Burgundian lineup, blind, if put in a ripe vintage. Can drink right now or hold. The balance should keep this humming for 6-8 years. Unsure of this will age a real long time, but really dig it now. Better than I remember last year.
94pts

I don’t know how he does this, I really don’t. 13.4% alcohol equates to about 23 to 23.5 brix. I’ve tasted Platt Pinot on the vine at such numbers and don’t catch the flavor he seems to get from it. Ted Lemon is my vote for the master of Pinot in the North Coast. I am glad I have a couple more bottles of this one.

He can do it because he’s Ted Lemon and has amazing skill.

I love the Pinots from The Pivot Vineyard also. Pivot and Platt and Hirsch were my favorites at a horizontal tasting at Littorai two or three years ago.