TN: 2005 Arcadian Francesca

Popped and pour with no decant. We drank half of this last night and half today with little to no change. On the nose it is classic Arcadian with pretty red fruits and solid earth, but on the palette it was a bit thin. We enjoyed drinking it over two days and will probably open another soon to see what is truly happening with this wine. I don’t think it has the structure that I am used to regarding this cuvée. If this is where this wine is going then I would suggest drinking now…you won’t be disappointed.

2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Francesca’s Cuvée - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (9/23/2016)
– decanted 30 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a few hours –

NOSE: boysenberry and cherry; little bit of oak; lily; hints of red apple and Moroccan spices.

BODY: medium-light bodied; violet-ruby color of medium depth; superfine particulate matter present.

TASTE: medium+ acidity; no tannin; garrigue on the finish, which is long and of medium-light to medium intensity; fruit seems a bit thin — perhaps closed a bit?; hints of oak and cigar wrapper; 12.8% alc. not noticeable; I will continue to Hold, with the hope that this is just a bit sleepy right now. Gut impression score: 89 – 93 (really depends on where this wine goes with more age). Ashley’s gut impression score: 91 – 92.

2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Francesca’s Cuvée - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (9/28/2017)
– bottle opened the previous day –
– tasted non-blind over 1 – 2 hours –

NOSE: moderately expressive (somewhat tight); red-fruited; light herbal element; hint of fennel seed.

BODY: lots of fine particulate matter; ruby color of medium to medium-deep depth with slight bricking throughout; medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: strong herbal/garrigué note, especially on the finish; good acidity; a tad bitter; hart to get a read on this right now; 12.8% alc. not noticeable; Hold.

11/29/2013 rated 91 points: Pop and pour and that is what this wine needs right now as day 2 is not as good. Funk, cranberry, cedar, forest floor and exotic spices. Medium finish and nice acdity. Day 2 not as pleasant and bitter. This wine needs to be consumed soon. (1457 views)
For the $68 I paid for this not worth the money.

Just bought some 2007 Arcadian Syrah Purisima Mountain Vineyard and got 2 bottles for $70 which is a much better wine and value than the Francesca.

It’s finally open for business, folks.

2005 Arcadian Pinot Noir Francesca’s Cuvée - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (4/23/2023)
– decanted 25 min. before initial taste –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

NOSE: red-fruited; high-toned; oaky.

BODY: rustic ruby color of medium depth; medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: high acidity; tart; red-fruited, and with noticeable oak; little hint of garrigue on the finish (not funky); drinks amazingly young for its age! 12.8% abv. well-hidden. Fine to drink now, but no apparent need to.

2 Likes