Thomas 2014 Release

Got the release letter today. It looks like there was a price increase. Or was it $60 a bottle last year? Hard to complain though. If any winery deserved to raise prices this would be the one. I’m in for a Joe 5Pak.

Tom

12:45: Just received my card.

To boldly go where no vintage has gone before

2014 is the first in a string of three quite extraordinary Oregon vintages.
Over the past thirty years only one year (1992) has even come close to
approaching these three for warmth. Many winemakers who worried in
years past over rain, birds and botrytis are now focused on rising sugars
and falling acids. This led to August harvests in some cases. For those
that pick on flavor, however, patience IS eventually rewarded, even if one
has to wait until October 4th.

This wine might prove a bit of an outlier for the vintage as it is clearly
happiest in the company of food. While the nose is muscular, the medium
tannins, juicy acidity and 13.6% (honest) alcohol make it dance with a
light foot on the palate. With cool cellaring it should live long & prosper
for at least a decade.

4 acres produced 654 cases, which were bottled unfiltered September 2016.
No matter what happens on November 4th, a full cellar should prove most
useful over the next four years. I guarantee it.

Enjoy.

Full case $720

Half case $360

The Full Monty $730
(8 bottles & 2 magnums)

Joe 5Pak $365
(4 bottles & 1 magnum)

Magnums (2) $250

Questions? 503-857-6591

Is Thomas the “Pliny the Elder” of the wine world?

Now that I finally made the Cayuse list, how do I get on the Thomas list? I need something to look forward to in my old age. [snort.gif]

If anybody in (Nor)Cali needs help in filling out an order I’d be happy to take a couple bottles [wink.gif]

I knew the offer was coming out soon, I just had a feeling.
In for a six pack.

Oh yea!

Hey is there a date that the order has to be placed? I won’t be close to my mail for a couple weeks.

Thanks.

In my experience, PtE is much easier to find than Thomas. And not nearly as good.

It was kind of a joke and a slam at the same time. I think they both sort of share the exclusivity thing when there are a bunch of competitors that are just as good but don’t have a similar cache. I’m always stunned when people wait in lines all day for a new release of Pliny (often the Younger). There are dozens of analogs that don’t require such silliness. I like Thomas Pinot and buy selectively but it’s not as magical as portrayed IMHO.

Ron, I get that some may scratch their head over the Thomas “mystique”, but your comparison to Pliny is misguided IMO. Pliny is VASTLY overrated. So many better IPAs out there, most not requiring waiting in line or stupendous efforts to track down. Not even sure it is the best RR IPA.

I would never argue that Thomas is the best PN in the WV, but I do think it is one of the better efforts and one I’m happy to buy a few bottles of every year. Plus, while not the easiest bottles to find, if you are on the list or know which retailers carry it, not much effort to procure.

Well i’m looking forward to receiving the letter [cheers.gif]

You’re screwed Saxon! It will be long gone by the time you get the offer letter. Just as well, it’s too sophisticated for you anyway :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Hal

Are these guaranteed? I’m out of the country until mid October. Maybe I should call.

You’re probably technically correct, Scott. Just figured it was worth discussing, partly because of views I’ve seen/heard expressed from some Oregon winemakers about the hype. I doubt I will hurt the sales or resale market.

Hype or not, the Thomas wines do represent an outlier that I am happy to support. The world needs more Thomas and less Elouan.

I call BS, they are after all ‘redefining the Oregon style’

You know the problem with you Oregon wine makers? You need more ‘touch of California’ in your wines.

Maybe you should take a hint from them and make a $48 Rogue Valley reserve.
Not that 15’ wasn’t warm enough, it’s just to get the taste of plums, you have to go to a hot growing region…and that means south!

This is my first release on the list. Very stoked! I am an East Coaster, so hopefully I will be getting my offer in the next couple of days.

You’re joking right? If I want a Cali PN then I’ll go out and purchase a Cali Pinot Noir…not an Oregon PN that tastes like California.

Preston – go to the Elouan website. It’s comical. I had never heard of the wine or been to the site.