TN: 2014 William Fèvre - Chablis "Champs Royaux" (France, Burgundy, Chablis)

2014 William Fèvre Chablis Champs Royaux - France, Burgundy, Chablis (8/7/2016)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind for a couple hours –

NOSE: medium-strong mineral note; aromas are on the lighter end of the Chardonnay spectrum.

BODY: light pale yellow color; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: light; lots of mineral; simple/light/easy; not oaky, alcoholic, or buttery; 12.5% alc. not noticeable; “green”; watered-down flavor; high acidity; short-medium finish of medium-light intensity; Ashley thought this was good with food; very good for $15, but ultimately boring.

gut impression score: 85 - 88

Yup.

In that category you could also try the Drouhin-Vaudon. Most years, incl 2014, I think it has more to say.

I’ve had more premoxed Drouhin-Vaudon that I’ll pass on that label. As for the Fevre Champs, I like this wine more than Brian. It hits all my chablis wants; saline, seashell chablis goodness. No, not deeply complex but not boring either. After all village, not 1er cru. For me, a good drink. Costco $19 deal.

$17 at my local Costco (so cal) and I thought it was a major deal, as good as most $25-30 chablis in normal years. Full of marine influence, salty, and clean - held up for 2 days in fridge with no degradation. I am going back to stock up.

Tried the '14 Kirkland PC Chablis as well and pared in comparison in my opinion, faded hard on second night.

I prefer Picq for similar $$, and much prefer Droin or Billaud-Simon for a bit more

Have you tried the '14 of this wine Michael? I have those other wines that you mention in other years and this one is as good or better. I was impressed. I have tried it in other years and didn’t care for it. Of course YMMV

THanks for this, Tom; I’ve been wondering about that Kirkland Chablis … but apparently not enough to buy one myself!

Where is Champs Royaux? Could’nt find it on the maps

I thought the Drouhin-Vaudon was quite good too for the $19 I paid and it’s drinking well now, so no need to rise premox.

No, my statement was not specific to the '14 vintage. If I see it I’ll give it a try. I think that '14 is an excellent Chablis vintage so it would stand to reason that it would be good. I’ve enjoyed the other wines I mentioned in '14 quite a lot. In some ways it seems like a vintage in which it was impossible to go wrong if you choose a decent producer. Probably a good idea to stock up as '15 will be riper and not sure what yields are like in '16.

Charlie,

Champs Royaux is a trademarked name, not the name of a vineyard. My recollection is that there is both purchased and domaine fruit.

Howard

Thank you, Howard

The Fevre Domaine Chablis is so much better I gave up on the Champs Royaux.

After tasting Champs Royaux back a few years ago (maybe 2000-2002) I loved this wine but in more recent times I have found it, meh, and stopped buying. Not sure if it me or the wine.

Jason

Brocard Sainte Claire blows this away in 2014 (and I am a Fevre fan).

Love Fevre…never been a fan of the Champs Royaux. For me there are many better Chablis at or slightly above that price point.