California wine for a British friend.

I am just finishing a visit to England and have been treated to some wonderful meals and hospitality from some new friends. They are great cooks and strictly Euro wine drinkers. They believe Zinfandel is pink plonk and have a dim view of California wine. I plan to send a 3 bottle sampler when I home. A Turley Juvenile is a given. Chris prefers Rioja and Bordeaux. Now I am not sending Napa Cabs, but I want give a good showing for the home team. Any idea of couple of bottles that may impress? Less than $40 a bottle.

Ridge Geyserville is a no-brainer pick. Seems to appeal to most and is priced right. The 2014 vintage is wonderful. I’d do this over a Turley any day of the week. Geyserville, especially as they age, seems to appeal to fans of Bordeaux, folks like me, that want a balanced wine that can show ancillary and tertiary characteristics. Plus, Ridge uses American oak, which may appeal to a Rioja fan.

I like both the Turley Juvenile (although for under $40 you can snag almost any of their single Vineyard zins aside from the Hayne) and the Ridge Geyserville. Totally agree with the 14 vintage as well - both Turley and Ridge crushed it in 2014.

I’d also add in either a Bedrock Heritage or a Carlisle (maybe Montafi or Papera). Probably suggest a 2012 as you should be able to find them somewhat easily and they’ll show really well if your friends wants to drink them sooner than later.

If that doesn’t change their minds about California zin, I’d consider it a lost cause :slight_smile:

Only planning to send one Zin. Was thinking of a Proper Claret from Bonny Doon and and a Dirty and Rowdy Mouvedre. Not trying to send the best wine, but some good solid fun drinking bottles. More ideas are welcome.

Ridge Estate Cab.

I love D&R Mouvedre, but I definitely wouldn’t say that they’re representative of what you typically find in CA.

I guess it depends what you’re trying to do. Are you wanting to give them something different to highlight the unique wines you can find across the state, or are you hoping to send them one or the better iterations of what might be considered more “universally California” (if there is such a thing)

Calluna vineyards Cuvee
Hobo Grenache
Anything from ESJ
Anything from Sandlands
Harrington Trousseau
Tablas creek esprit Blanc

White rock claret just above price range but would a nice pick as well

ESJ is a great choice

For something uniquely Californian, I’d go with an old vine field blend. A Bedrock Heritage wine, Carlisle Two Acre, Bucklin Old Hill Ranch. Geyserville qualifies.

Petite Sirah is also uniquely Californian. A Turley Hayne or Library, a Carlisle Paladades.

First I want to say thanx for being generous hosts. Secondly the Zin because, well they don’t have a clue and it is my favorite varietal. And third, I want fun, non pompous, non Napa, non Pinot and not for holding. I want them to open a bottle and smile, not ponder.

I’d like to avoid Petite Syrah, cause while they can be good, they don’t say fun. Too dense and dark.

I think of California as having some of the best Syrah in the world.
There are so many to pick from.
I am partial to Santa Barbara:

Piedrasassi - Just had a 2013 SBC Syrah and it was killer.
Ojai
Jaffurs
Harrison Clarke Estate Syrah (order some for yourself as well)

Gotcha! Yep, I love the D&R idea then. Those wines scream “fun” to me (and tasty/very drinkable).

I still like the Geyserville idea. Plenty more grapes in addition to zinfandel in there, and it’s not only pure California to me…but like Robert mentioned, it appeals to a wide variety of pallets…and is a DAMN tasty bottle of wine whether you’re drinking it now or 10 years from now.

If ordering online, then Ridge has the advantage of decent availability over here. If not, then something from them is still a good choice if they’re unaware of it, as if they like it, then they can then also buy it over here. The Geyserville has the added advantage of taking on the Zin preconceptions.

On the flip side, great to be sent something we just don’t see over here, so many good suggestions.

I do also like the idea of a wine that might shake their preconceptions, something that is anything but ‘big’.

Why not send them a Chateau Montelena? Yes, it’s Napa, but it could be the basic Cab or the Estate and certainly is non-pompous. A Bordeaux drinker would probably LOVE that. Joseph Phelps Insignia comes to mind, although a lot more expensive. Somewhere in between are Daou’s Soul of a Lion or Checkerboard King’s Row (although Checkerboard is in Napa) would be good choices as well.

Oh forgot to mention an interesting choice if they like Sauternes… Arrowood Late Harvest Riesling. The 2006 has that same unctuous mouthfeel as many Sauternes and is delicious. Arrowood has them available in their library still (I think). If you need a contact, PM me.

CT notes:

If you can find a Broc Cellars Vine Starr Zin I’d highly recommend it. Tasty, fun, light and a unique expression of the grape.

Love the thought of Geyserville.

Zin = Fred Scherrer

Other, if non-zin, Arcadian.

Jason

Awesome choice. I even love their funky whites.