TN: 2014 Domaine François Cotat (Paul & François) Sancerre Les Culs de Beaujeu

• 2014 Domaine François Cotat (Paul & François) Sancerre Les Culs de Beaujeu - France, Loire Valley, Upper Loire, Sancerre (9/16/2016)
    I just LOVE this wine…third time in a couple months…the minerality is amazing in this…chalky, salty, sea and limestone funk…bright and zesty citrus fruit…lemon/lime, quince…little tropical mango and pineapple as well. SO energized with fresh squeezed acidity…yet still a creamy full mouthfeel…complexities of lemon grass, white flower/lime blossom florals, white pepper dust. LONG dry puckering lemon and spice finish…fantastic! Much better than the 09 Vatan I just had. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Btw…correct pronunciation?

Co tot
Co tay

?

Sweet! Thanks for the TN. Just picked up a couple :slight_smile:

oooo…fightin’ words for the Vatan crowd [pillow-fight.gif]

I’m one of the Vatan crowd, but not particularly belligerent by nature :slight_smile:. I’ve also come to the conclusion over the years that only Francois Cotat ever really comes close, so I can live with this :slight_smile:.
Brilliant wines.

Co-tot

Co-tah.

In French, a consonant at the end of a word is usually not pronounced.

What Ted said.

I’ve never had the Les Culs de Beaujeu but every François Cotat wine I’ve had has been positively stunning! Thanks for the note Brian.

Having trouble locating this retail in SF Bay Area and all of CA, unless I get a case. Maybe too early. As I recall the cdb may see some oak so maybe later release here. Any thoughts or sources?

Rule does not always hold with names, so you have to know in each individual case. I don’t in this one, but Suzanne well may,

Also thanks for the note, Buzz, ordered me up some.

Joshua,

Very true; I’ve only heard Co-tah, but that’s from people itb, not from the family themselves.

There were a handful left at K&L when I picked up a couple on Friday. Looks like they’re gone now - you could call to find out if they’ve got more on the way.

Thanks Vince. No luck today.

I got a few bottles yesterday from MacArthur’s, in DC. They ship, fwiw.

Thanks Frank. I think some will show up in CA one of these days.

Why don’t you try North berkeley imports… They are direct importers of Cotat :slight_smile:

Just can’t do it…no will power…6 pack gone already! Will have to rely on picking up $ome older Cotat at auction or retail if I ever want to experience one with some age on it, as I just can’t help myself drinking them! Another 14 drinking AMAZING right now!

Nice

No worries Buzz I know you have plenty of other wines you are aging

Need some help here. I’ve been pretty into Cotat lately but having a hard time figuring it out. Some wines are a dense/riper version of Loire SB, while others have a sweetness and heaviness that just doesn’t quite fit. Honestly even within the same vintage I seem to get some major variation by vineyard - which is cool and makes some sense but im surprised by the extremity of it.

Is it normal to have some floating particles in them, I have noticed that more in the 6-7 year old wines that show sweeter.

I get some major variation from day 2 to day 1. Seems to be constantly changing almost like

All of this really showed in a 2012 Grand Cotr I had last week.

To be clear I love these wines but not sure I have them figured out.