Introducing myself to Washington

I’ve never really tried Washington reds before, so I along with a couple friends are going to introduce ourselves to a few bottles. We’re not really trying to go top of the line here as this will be more a learning experience.

We currently have an Amavi Cellars Cab, an Andrew Will Two blondes. We are looking to add a bottle or two more to round it out. Any suggestions are welcomed.

I just visited the state and was overall very impressed with the quality. I can basically recommend something from all the wineries we visited, but of course for different reasons. We visited:

Cadence
Kerloo
Boudreaux
Seven Hills
Pepper Bridge
Amavi
Sleight of Hand
Va Piano
L’Ecole 41
Woodward Canyon
Terra Blanca
J. Bookwalter
Milbrandt

Most wineries made killer Cab, Merlot and often also Bx-blends. Whenever I tried a Syrah I basically liked or loved it too. These are mostly ‘high end’ without being ‘premium’ as in Cayuse, Quilceda Creek and Leonetti.

What are you looking to try?

I would strongly recommend that you seek out a WA Merlot with 5-8 years bottle age on it. Maybe for $20-$30 on winebid.com

DeLille

Rotie Cellars
Rasa
Buty
Result of a Crush

You will have a hard time finding bad wines!

Looking to try a variety of things. We have a cab and a bdx, so maybe I’ll throw in a Merlot and Syrah?

I think Washington Syrah shines much brighter than their Cabs. Try and find a bottle of Gramercy The Deuce, Two Vintners Stoney Vine, or K Vintners The Deal (all around $40 per bottle).

I didn’t try the Two Vintners version, but was mightily impressed with the Stoney Vine Vineyard Syrah from Sleight of Hand and Va Piano (the latter not released yet I believe).

I liked the syrah from Kerloo, which was almost in a post-modern style: soft, clean, well made but no new oak and somewhat ‘french’ notes a la northern Rhone.

I loved syrah from Boudreaux, but iirc it was somewhat more than $40.

Va Piano now makes some beautiful syrah. As mentioned, the Stoney Vine was a stunner. Great too was the Les Collines and Lewis Vineyards. Price was probably above 40 as well.

I really like l’Ecole 41’s touch with their Estate Walla Walla syrah. That is probably around the $40.

Terra Blanca made beautiful, beautiful syrah! Their Arch series is highly recommended at around $27. Their Signature series Block 8 was one of the highlights with beautifully pronounced Cote-Rotie like notes in a new world frame. Above $40 too iirc.

Milbrandt makes some great values in syrah imho. Both their everyday Whispering Tree, their Traditions and their Estates and vineyard designates. None should be more than $45 I believe.

If you go with a merlot go with Leonetti- that’s a benchmark merlot and a pioneer winery for the state of Washington.

Also, Sineann makes some nice affordable wines that are worth putting in a tasting.

In stores right now, for Merlot, give the 2013 Walla Walla Vintners Walla Walla Valley Merlot a try ($25-$30)

For Syrah / Rhones, I’ll second the recommendation for just about anything Rotie Cellars puts out ($30-$50). As said above, L’Ecole No. 41’s estate vineyard Syrah is always great, and a great value.

We really enjoyed these as well

Gramercy!!

DeLille whites are also enjoyable.

Merlot definitely shines in this region as do Rhone varieties.

What is your style OP? More modern and fruit forward? Or slightly more hands off, traditional wine making?

I’ve been trying these and really enjoyed them:

Bunchgrass
Rulo
Trio Wines
Syncline

All skirt new/old world and are all well made.

I’m excited to hear other’s input as I’m not all that familiar with Washington. I can tell you I find their syrahs and Chards amazing. They make nice cabs but I think they have more interesting wines available.

Not 100% either or, kind of depends on what it is and how my mood is (like with most things in life), but if I have to generalize, I tend to enjoy flavors that are not so fruit forward, clean. I enjoy the funk.