German (Mosel) producer you'll certainly be hearing about -- has a great future ahead of him

To paraphrase the details in Weygandt Selections’ portfolio tasting catalogue, Markus Hüls started this domaine in Kröv; took over the winery officially in 2012 and did away with the pesticides, fungicides and herbicides; ferments with indigenous yeast; vines were planted in 2007, but selected from 9 different Riesling vines that were a century old.

Best,

Kenney

Hi Kenny,

I would love to know what clone they are … I have out of seven clones of Riesling chosen clone 90 as the authentic clone that is most winter resistant and is the only clone immune to crown gall virus … Dr Frank planted it a few years ago for his reserves up the road from me after I would not sell him my northern 40 acres for his project … Paul Hobbs south of me , somehow I ended up on Park place on the wine board in the FLX …

Salute !!!

That’s good Krov deserves a half decent producer.

Hi Russel,

Kröv already has several good producers :slight_smile: One of my absolute favourites is Martin Müllen in Trarbach (next to Kröv), who owns several parcels in the best Kröver vineyards and makes exceptional wines. If you ever get the chance to taste them: Give it a try (MARTIN MÜLLEN - Weine besonderer Lagen)!
We were there last Friday morning right before the Auction in Trier and were amazed by his lineup (including his Kabinett and Spätlesen from Kröver vineyards).

Cheers,
Dirk

Interesting Dirk. We stayed a week in Krov last year and tried several village wines. But we’re limited to what the stores had. I didn’t taste much to compare with what comes a few miles along the river.

Unfortunately Kröv has had a bad reputation because of the infamous “Nacktarsch” (litteraly translated “naked arse”) vineyard. When I asked my parents about their worst wine experiences of the 70ties, they immediately replied: Mosel, Riesling sweet, “Nacktarsch”!!!

But what e.g. Martin Müllen produces out of its Kröver parcels with ungrafted, 100+ year old vines is truly amazing.

I did see Martin Mullen wines but I don’t remember trying one (the similarity to Muller caught my eye). The UK importer (I presume) only lists one wine from 2008.

I guess I will check it out next time I’m in Krov!

Yeah, Kröver Nacktarsch is on par with Liebfrauenmilch with regards to reputation and a generation of German students got drunk and had headaches from hell from that stuff.

Having said that, Hüls is a new generation and has already a good reputation and was even mentioned in the Revue du Vin de France and you know that German wines is not their favourite topic…

I really like their wines, they have a special character and are available in the 10-20 Euro range in Germany, not breaking the bank.

Kenney you old b@stard, don’t tell me you are still alive neener

Cheers
Christian

Well talking of Liebfraumilch, I rather enjoyed the wines of the Liebfrauenstift estate this weekend.

Russell,

If you mean the small parcel around the Liebfrauenkirche (church of the holy mother Mary) in Worms then I would agree - haven’t been there for some 10 years though…

Cheers
Christian

Yes. Owned by Wilhelm Steifensand (Katharina Prum’s husband).

Staffelter Hof is another producer in Kröv and, like Martin Müllen, is a member of Der klitzekleine Ring.

Müllen, who is based in Traben-Trarbach (Traben, to be exact), has holdings in several of the top sites in Kröv, as mentioned above.