Winery Visits in Central Istria???

In Oct, Susan & I will be staying 3 days in Gologoricki Dol/Cerovlje/Pazin/Central Istria.

Anybody have any recs for wineries/wine bars/restaurants/etc in that area??

Tom

Tom, you could do a lot worse than to contact these guys: http://www.tasteofcroatia.org
One of the guys behind the project, Goran, is himself from Istria and as knowledgeable as anyone about the area.

Man, are you pushing it. I thought most of the wine-making in Istria was of the “home consumption” category. I’d rather spend my time in the great historic towns there personally.

Well…I guess we’ll find out, won’t we, Markus. We’re staying at a small farm near Cerolvje/Pazin for 3 days. I know he grows grapes, probably makes a little wine.
Since we have dinner w/ them each evening, I guess we’ll find out. You’ll get a full report…it’ll be (short/boring). [snort.gif]
Tom

You thought wrong, Markus. That hasn’t been the case for quite a while. Just a couple of names off the bat: Coronica, Brecevic (Piquentum), Roxanich, Fakin, Trapan, Radovan, Arman, Degrassi, Giorgi Clai, Cossetto, Damjanic, Cuj, Ritosha, Benvenuti, Matosevic, Kozlovic, Kabola, Veralda… and that’s just scratching the surface. All good or better.

I’d be asking for recommendations for body armor stores. [shock.gif]

O ye of little faith :slight_smile:

Okay, I stand corrected then. I guess we’ll have to wait for Tom Hill’s “long/boring” report. pepsi

And why would this be? Istria is a very placid land full of peace and understanding.

Thanks, Tvrtko…that’s a very useful Site that I’ve enjoyed browsing.
Alas…it gives no recommendations on where to buy body armor!! [snort.gif]

Another one I’ve been using:

a blog by a guy named Jeff Rames, out of NYC.
Tom

I’d recommend visiting Rovinj and some of the hill towns such as Motovun. I don’t know the timing of the truffle harvest but maybe you’ll be lucky as there’s lots of both white and black truffles in Istria. When I was there last year, my favorite wines were whites such as Posip from the island of Korcula.

Have a great trip!

Cheers,

Hal

Thanks for the suggestion, Hal. Susan has been to Rovinj, but I have not. So we’ll probably take a side trip
over that way. We’ll mostly be up towards Pazin. But it’s only a 15 mi drive away. And when you’re used to
traveling in NM 100 mi for a world-class green chile cheeseburger…that’s pretty trivial!!

I’m looking mostly to try Malvasia d’Istriana and Teran wines to broaden my experience.

We’re staying at a little farm house. Sit down and have breakfast/dinner w/ the family in the kitchen. Couple don’t
speak a lick of English…but the daughter is very fluent. And as a Kansas farm-boy…I’ll get to slop the
hogs & milk the goats. It’ll be a hoot.
Tom

Body armor? I’m not sure where people think Istria is…? Lovely area, good food, places like Rovinj tend to get trampled over in the summer, but tourist numbers will probably be quite manageable in October.

Istria is pršut (cured ham) country, the farm you’re staying on likely produces their own, and I know several wineries do as well. Peppery, delicious and addictive.

I don’t have tons of experience with the wineries, but can recommend Coronica (excellent Malvasia) and Kozlović (try the off-dry Muškat Momjanski, a vibrant, low alcohol treat). Looking forward to seeing your notes.

Well, Boris…we do know that they will be (long/boring)!! [snort.gif]
I’m very much looking forward to trying the prsut. And truffles if they’re in season.

Yeah…the original reference to body armor was a puzzler to me. The most dangerous place I’ll be
is the drive to the airport at 4:00 am.
Tom

I’ve had a few vintages of the Trapan Teran. Definetly worthy of a visit to try it. I’ve had a few of their other wines and found them more hit or miss.

When will you be there, Tom?

You should definitely go to Motovun and Groznjan, plenty of wineries there, with my favorite being Georgio Clai. End of Oct is the white truffles season and I’ll be there so maybe we can meet for a glass or two.

Calendar of truffle related events…makes me want to go!
http://www.istria-gourmet.com/en/information/gastro-calendar/15371-ch-0?&l_over=1

Geez, I was making a joke so stop with all the Istrionics.

We’re there Oct 11-14…so we’ll probably miss??
Tom

Yes, bummer Tom, but in case you’re making a stop in NY, on your way there, maybe we can have a dinner at my place. Well stocked cellar and food is not shabby either.