I like 2007.

Hopefully not many of you Berserkers do so there’s more for me. neener

Just went over my purchases to date this year and realized how many bottles from 2007 I’ve bought. Picked up a bit of JJ Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Kabinett, a few bottles of Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve, some Ponsot Chapelle-Chambertin, a couple Comte de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny, and some underwhelming (well, that’s what they are according to Tim Heaton) Napa Cabs too.

For supposedly being a mediocre vintage in many places, there sure are a LOT of good wines. Anybody else a fan of that year? It’s okay to come out of the closet here & now.

I don’t think anyone considers 2007 to be a mediocre vintage in Germany, esp. in the MSR. It is a pretty well regarded vintage.

In Burgundy, it does not have a great reputation, but it is very underrated like 2000. A great vintage to drink young and in restaurants because it is so open.

I love 2007 Burgundies. Many are decent today as Howard mentions. So many nice wines: Arnoux, Bachelet, l"Arlot, Mugneret-Gibourg, Chevillon, Fourrier, Drouhin, to name a few from top of my head.

Just checked the thread on recent purchases and found even more '07 buys like Faiveley Gevrey-Chambertin and Kosta Brown Sonoma Coast.

I probably shouldn’t have lumped Mosel in with that generalization. Correction deserved.

We find it VERY much like 2000, a vintage which my wife and I enjoy immensely. Nicely showing the lighter, more feminine side of Burgundy.

My customers love mine right now. It opened to the mailing list at $60. I sell it now, based on supply and demand, at $150.

Perhaps Mr. Heaton would find the joy in that.

If people are paying it, it’s worth it. Judging by how much I liked your 2009, I’d agree that it’s a fair price for a bottle stored in perfect provenance from that vintage.

Yeah… probably not. [snort.gif]

I like '07 burgundy, probably a minority here

Volnay! Angerville wines drinking fabulously now…

There are a lot of really good 2007 Volnays. Also Pousse D’Or, Lafon, Bouchard.

You might like 2014. From what I tasted in Burgundy (an admittedly limited sample), the wines had the freshness of those vintages combined with more stuffing.

I had a 2007 Chappellet Signature on Labor Day that was killing it.

I thought 07 Napa was well regarded?

That’s what I’ve heard, and I’ve talked to a few people. Just getting some scratch together before replying to a fellow Berserker about several bottles.

No more left in my cellar. The last was certainly good though. Just one lonely mag of '05 ready to drink. Got a nice stash of '12 and '13. While the '12 is showing nicely, I know to wait on it because the potential is there.

It’s certainly not an AFWE / subtle year.

+1 there. I think the vintage’s style fits Volnay beautifully.

Kind of. Fruit heads were pumped on the vintage (like me) but the wines ended up being as expected – big, lush, and fruit-forward so they caught some heat for being too OTT and not “classic.”

I thought this thread was going to be about CdP. Napa, I’m with you. CdP, not even for me.

I’ve liked 07 in Tuscany, So. Rhone, No. California (Bdx varietals).

Small samplings in Spain have been mixed. It’s not a strong vintage in red Bordeaux by reputation, but the Sauternes are good although expensive.

I’ve put away a few LBV ports as well from that year.

No one has mentioned Champagne yet which is not a surprise (considering everybody seems to concentrate on praising the 2008s) but I am personally feeling positive after several extremely enjoyable grower wines and will be buying more to drink. Also Mosel Rieslings have mostly been great, especially at the Spätlese level.

Merrill,

I have always really enjoyed your posts and totally understand you being rankled by Tim’s post.

That said, the quote above is the first time I’ve ever seen you define your wines by the number of $$$ a person will part with to have one. People pay $150 for numerous wines these days (see Cornillessen Magma) and I would hate to your work simplified to that denomination.

I haven’t had your wines, but I am a fan of you and hope to try them at some point. When I do, it won’t be because of the price, it will be because of every other post you have put up. (This is not chastising at all, I just hate to see your work and intelligence validated by a $ sign.)

Burgundies. I’ve enjoyed drinking them 2007s up until this point.

A point well made, Marcus. What I was trying to give was an example to back up my statement that my customers love it these days. I still sell plenty of wine in the $70-$90 range, which has had some reputation as a QPR (for a single vineyard, small production wine). But there are 2 vintages that have garnered extra attention: the 2007 and the 2009 Special Selection. I illustrate how well they are liked by my lack of inventory which translates into selling price.