Kosta Browne 2014 SVD release

I realize KB is of interest to only a few of us anymore, but the release email for the 2014 Single Vineyard wines came out today. It looks like the same 9 vineyards as last year and the price has stayed the same at $90 per 750. Magnums are also available for the first time, via wishlist for $225. I was offered the Keefer Ranch; I don’t know if other vineyards are also available. The price on the 4 Barrel did go up from $90 to $125, the first time this was priced differently from the SVDs, IIRC.

This makes today’s Anthill Farms SVD release, at $48 -$52 a bottle, seem like a bargain.

Not happy about the 35$ increase for the 4 Barrel. These go to the long time supporters of this winery and they just got treated pretty poorly for their support.

Interesting. There are two Vineyards I always purchase a bottle of, and I was offered only the one bottle from each. The other vineyards that I do not normally purchase, I was offered 12 bottles each! However, this year I was finally offered a 4-Barrel.

The price increase on the 4 barrel really upsets me. As Bill mentioned, these were typically allocated to long-time supporters as a sort of ‘thank you’. Now it appears to be more of a ‘screw you’!!!

How long has the 4-Barrel been priced the same as the other SVD pinots? And how long at $90?

Also, how many cases of the single vyd pinots are done? My guess is the 4 Barrel is, well, 4 barrels worth or only 100 cases . . . As volume of everything else increases, the perceived value of this will increase as well.

I guess you can look at it as a ‘special treat’ to be able to get these?!?!?

Cheers

The 4 barrel is a blend of 4 vineyards. I believe 88 cases went to basically their original customers. I guess the " special treat" is a $35 increase in one year. Maybe if I am really special it can go up $ 40 next year. Although have always loved this wine may be done with this move as their customer service has always been great this is a greedy move for their best customers.

Larry… the 4-Barrel has been priced the same as the other SVDs since its initial offering (2003 vintage).

That does seem odd, especially considering it’s not something of much financial significance to KB’s operation given how few bottles of 4 Barrel are made. Maybe they’re trying to make it more of an extreme prestige/cult bottling within their portfolio?

My KB buying dropped to three SVDs last year and only 3 appellation wines this spring. I still enjoy these wines in their place, but the price is starting to push me away. I’m on the fence about buying a few SVDs this fall or not, and then I’ll probably just buy 3-6 appellation wines per year in the spring. It’s great quality stuff and it scratches a certain itch, but I’m not a “price is no object” buyer either.

At these prices, who is still buying them? Value/QPR in the basement. So many great options at a fraction of the price.

First time ever I have been offered the 4 Barrel and of course the price goes up.

That is my initial reaction as well. Yes, it was started as a way of ‘giving thanks’ to their original supporters, but now that the winery has been around for over a decade, perhaps they feel that they are still ‘showing support’ by allowing those originals to still purchase, but ‘capitalizing’ on their ‘best blend’ by charging a bit more?

Look, there is no rationalization for pricing in our business - period. We all know that there are other pinots made in ‘similar styles’ that cost a lot less; and we all know that there are pinots made in other styles that sell for a lot less but may offer as much enjoyment to others. And let’s not even talk about the price of some cabs [wow.gif]

I’d be curious if any long time club members reach out to Dan or Michael and see what they say. Also, I’d be curious to see if t the production of this wine remains at less than 100 cases or so.

Cheers.

As others have noted, the 4 Barrel was originally offered to KB’s “best” customers in early 2005 (or possibly late 2004; I faxed my order on Jan 10th). The first vintage was 2003 and your initial order was your allocation in future years - although mine was reduced by 1 bottle 2 years ago due to a “breakage incident”. It’s only in the last couple releases that I’ve heard of “new” customers being offered the 4 Barrel, presumably as the original purchasers have dropped off the list.

Like Bud, I always viewed the opportunity to purchase the 4 Barrel as a thanks for being an early supporter of the brand. Given the price increase and the games they’ve been playing with 4 Barrel allocations, I agree that it’s more of a “screw you”

Someone else will probably be getting my allocation of 4-Barrel next year.

Sea Smoke used to give a bottle of their Chardonnay - as a ‘Special Gift’ - for free to mailing list customers last decade. I believe now they are selling it? I dropped off their list in 2008.

Interesting question, as it seems more than a few are being offered the wine for the first time. Earlier, I surmised that people skipping their allocation were the source of the bottles being offered, but maybe it’s something else. I know of a few people with 4 Barrel allocations, and their purchasing behavior is like mine - buying fewer of the SVDs but continuing to take all of the 4 Barrel they’re offered. I wonder how much is being freed up for the new offers ? By the way, I’m guessing this purchasing pattern is at least part of the reason for the price increase … It’s not long term support, but what have you done for me lately.

While I purchase a 6 pack of the appellations every year, it’s been a long time since I’ve purchased SVDs, but I still get an offer to wish list each of the SVDs each year. This year I once again got the offer to wish list each of the SVDs but also was allocated 1 bottle of 4 Barrel and wish list further bottles. Thought this was odd since I had always understood that 4 Barrel was allocated to only the best customers. In any event, not buying at $125

Perhaps they raised the price on the 4 Barrel when they noticed the secondary market was pushing it to $250 per while all their other wines were selling close to release price there. Sure don’t want their ‘best customers’ making a buck or 2 flipping a bottle.

Just a thought.

A small amount of money to them overall but a big hit on customer service and loyalty which is how they grew their business. Always drank my 4barrel, maybe time to start flipping which I hate.

Yeah, KB is not seen as a cool wine here, but I really like it. This year they bumped my SVD allocation to 6 (2 Gap’s Crown, 2 Keefer Ranch, 2 Rosella’s) and I ordered it all. One day I hope to get hit with the new increased price for the Four Barrel, I’m ready and willing to shoulder that burden.