Your go to Cab Franc for <$20?

I’ve been on a Chinon and Bourgeuil kick lately. The quality you can get for $20 or less is pretty great. Most recently the 2014 Les Pins “Les Rochettes” Bourgeuil ($12) and 2013 Joguet “Les Petites Roches” ($20). What else would you recommend, for near term drinking? Not that these bottles are super ready to drink - they both improved on day 2. But I’ve got some bottles of Breton “Perrieres” and Baudry Grezueax stashed away that i’m trying to keep my hands off of… :slight_smile:

Baudry Les Granges or Le Domaine

Guion Bourgueil is a QPR champion. Gasnier Chinon is a very good value if you can find it (though Baudry Domaine is not that much more in price)

Domaine De La Butte (Jacky Blot) “La Pied de la Butte.”

+1 on Baudry. I find Granges is best on release and Domaine is great on release or with some age.

I also like Marc Plouzeau’s Les Cornuelles VV - hat tip to Robert Alfert for that discovery.

The 2010 Olga Raffault Chinon Les Picasses can be had for around $20 and is great.

Ha, thanks! These are all my go-to CFs in that price cat, plus Guion, the ultimate QPR.

There’s not a ton of bad Loire CF out there around $20 honestly, unless your taste leans modern, in which case you’re basically screwed.

Fosse- Seches Eolithe is a great option at that price point, probably my fave.

Good choice, I like this one. My go-to is Guion though. Inexpensive, authentic, delicious.

Great thread boys

Going to cab franc under $20… Or any wine for that matter… Sounds utterly frightening…

Raffault - Les Picasses.

I had the 2010 the other night and I rated it at a sneaky 94 points.

Lots of great suggestions already (I’m particularly partial to Baudry Domaine). And I would add: Hureau “Tuffe”. Very Saumur: pure, fragrant and pretty. Nice florality, a little earth, plus great fruit. $17ish.

Levi’s mention of Saumur helped me recall another I had lately that was delicious --Domaine des Roches Nueves Saumur Champigny (Thierry Germain). Bought on vacation in Ireland for some ridiculously high price but available here for $20-ish.

I will add the Hureau “Tuffe” to my must-try list as Levi’s note sounds delicious…

Based on your notes and posts, I think our tastes generally jive, and I can pretty much guaranty you will not be disappointed. The Fevettes bottling is in the $27 range and also awesome. Have never had the Lisagathe (around $32), and am dying to try it.

Agreed (that our tastes seem similar) … Just picked up the 2012 Tuffeau at k and l for $17 – I’ll report back after I’ve tried it :slight_smile:

Outstanding.

Oh yes had his one too and very tasty.

Ooh I walked by this at k&l yesterday. Please do report back :slight_smile:

So many great suggestions so far.
One I like in that price range that hasn’t been mentioned is Domaine Filliatreau La Grand Vignolle Saumur-Champigny.
Classic Saumur Cab Franc for ~$20.

Almost everything that comes to mind has been mentioned, I’ll just throw in Plouzeau Le Clos de la Bonnelière, Domaine du Bel Air (Pierre et Rodolphe Gauthier) Bourgueil Jour de Soif, and Chidaine rouge (although it’s a blend). Plenty of go-to wines in this category!