TN: Is this the best vintage of Drouhin Clos des Mouches ever?

IS THIS THE BEST VINTAGE OF DROUHIN CLOS DES MOUCHES EVER?

I don’t know but this is an excellent pair of wines …

• 2010 Joseph Drouhin Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Mouches Rouge - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru
    The 2010 is a top quality Clos des Mouches Rouge. Ruby, rusty red colour. A savoury, expressive bouquet of raspberries, plums, dusty clay, spices and tobacco leaf. On palate, raspberries, plums, red currants and other red fruit, sous bois, rusty iron and autumn leaves. Cranberries and blood orange. It’s savoury and earthy with sweet tannins and refreshing, bright acidity. Good tannic structure. Dry finish. This wine has never closed and continues to be enjoyable. I’m sure it’ll drink better in 5+ years, if you can hold off … (93 pts.)
  • 2010 Joseph Drouhin Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Mouches Blanc - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru
    This wine is a top quality 1er white Burg. Golden colour, but no sign of premox. After some sulphur blew off, detailed fragrances of peaches and pears, meadow flowers, blanched almonds, lemon zest and minerals. The bouquet is framed by spicy, yeasty oak. In the mouth, citric, precise and linear, with racy acids. Serious weight, good length. Orchard fruit, a touch of green apple, chalk and honey comb. There’s still some oak on the palate, yet to fully integrate. Relatively open and approachable. This is a serious, young wine that, if it survives premox, could be even better in 10 years. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Have you tried the '83 or '85 recently? '89? [basic-smile.gif]
Otherwise, I appreciate your enthusiasm.
Seriously, thanks for the notes; DrouhinMOuches is a regular buy for me as it’s in my wheelhouse for what it delivers in regards to cost, etc.
I’ve yet to buy any '10s. Guess I should.
Cheers, Howard.

'85 Mouche is the best I’ve tasted. Will hunt for the '10 to compare. Thanks for the notes.

Howard,

Thanks for the note as I have some of the 2010 rouge. Purchased a bottle of the 1993 (red) off a restaurant wine list this past summer and it was pretty darn good.

Cheers,
Doug

I had the '10 rouge at Drouhin in Burgundy a couple of years ago and was blown away. The blanc was the winner in a blind tasting of '10 white burgs I went to, beating out some stiff competition like Leflaive BBM and Ramonet Batard.

We had several bottles of the 2011 while in Paris recently, and we thought it was probably the best Burgundy we had on our trip.

I had both of these while in Paris a couple years ago. And yes, they were sensational – and remain memorable.

The '99 Mouches Rouge is special.

The '88 Drouhin Clos des Mouches Blanc is also still going strong. Not quite the '85 but very fine.

Anyone had the 96 recently?

This is one of the rare times I really regret not buying the PCP offer at JJ Buckley for the 2010 Rouge. I think they dropped the price to like $55/bottle. Sounds like I should have bought a case…

The 96 was very good on two occasions over the past year.

To be clear I was referring to the 96 Blanc.

I have had the '96 Blanc 4 times in the last 2 years. Twice it was drinking beautifully, a perfect example of a mature white burg, twice totally and hopelessly premoxed.

The 1989 was very good last time I tasted it a few years ago, but very evolved. I wasn’t sure it was a long term wine.

I hear you…Been meaning to pop my last '89 for a while. Just waiting for some sub 90 degree days to do so…

I remember that deal…I was low on cash so I bought 3 [head-bang.gif]

Delete

2010 is such a great vintage overall so who knows.

My thought with these two wines is that it’s rarer to get excellent wines in both colours in the same vintage. For example, 2007 is excellent in white, less so in red. The 2011 rouge is really good (at least), the Blanc, not of the same quality … As Howard says, it’s probably not that surprising given the quality of 2010 from top to bottom, but I was wondering about other vintages of very high quality in both colours?