TN: 2009 Clos Salomon Givry 1er Cru Clos Salomon

• 2009 Clos Salomon Givry 1er Cru Clos Salomon - France, Burgundy, Côte Chalonnaise, Givry 1er Cru (8/25/2016)
    I like the nose on this. Smells of sweet red fruits and rocks. Tastes like it smells. This has nice grip on the finish and a long finish. Very nice. This is in a good place now. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Yes a hidden gem in Givry Village not in any polls for trophy wines.

Anyone have the 2016? It’s on a wine by the glass menu at Verjus

Yes, delicious! I am happy to still own a dozen bottles.

I think this is one of the great values of Burgundy. Glad to hear the '09 is doing well.

It’s more classic than the richer, more sun-kissed 2015 but effectively its qualitative equivalent. Drinking well already.

There is a lot of great value to be found in the Côte Chalonnaise but even today, very few bother to explore it!

William, I have been guilty of it as well. After having a 2013 Mercuery 1er Cru last month, the radar is on!

Haven’t had too much givry but will check this out. Love fixin and marsannay.

For Givry, look for Joblot, Lump and also Domaine des Moirots. Ragot is also on my list of places to visit this year.

For most of the Côte de chalonnaise what are other good producers?

I’ve come up with Bruno Clair (marsannay), Mongeard mugneret (fixin), AP Villaine (rully, mercurey), bachelet (maranges)

Thanks!

Marsannay and Fixin are Côte de Nuits! But in Marsannay I would strongly recommend Charles Audoin and in Fixin, Berthaut-Gerbet and Gelin.

With Maranges, you are still technically in the Côte de Beaune, but Bachelet-Monnot would be my pick. Going to spend more time there and in Santenay in the Spring.

For Bouzeron, try a new domaine, Les Champs de Thémis, making superb Aligoté. Would rank them along with Ramonet above the de Villaine example, and they should be less expensive. They just got US representation.

For Rully, the reference point is Dureuil-Janthial, who also happen to make one of the best Puligny AOC bottlings. Gresigny and the old vine Meix Cadot bottlings are my favorite whites. Jacquesson is excellent but perhaps a little conservative - very, very good for the Côte Chalonnaise but not pushing the envelope beyond that.

Mercurey is quite exciting, with Charton, Bruno Lorenzon (expensive, but great), François Raquillet and a newly dynamic Château de Chamirey and Michel Juillot, along with very creditable bottlings from Faiveley. Lorenzon is the only one making truly great whites there, as the terroirs are seemingly better suited to red.

Givry, we have already looked at.

Ooh, I didn’t realize they were actually cdn; I think they’re relatively underlooked either way. I’ve had a few very nice gelin wines.

It seems like 15 and 09 would be the sweet spot to buy chalonnaise and lesser villages due to more ripeness.

Not necessarily in 15: it’s a good vintage, but more heterogenous since the further south you get, the more severe was the drought - so you get arrested phenolic development, raisined fruit in some wines. 2016 is an exceptional vintage for red Côte Chalaonnaise and more consistent. I’m looking forward to trying more 2017 whites from bottle too.

The Joblot 1er crus have substantial staying power as well as their general awesomeness. I drank my '89’s well into the 2000’s.

1989s still drinking well today!

This producer is great and under the radar. They used to be directly imported into PORTLAND directly and we could sell for a very fair price. They seem hard to find nowadays.

Any comments on the 2008?

Very much enjoyed the 2016 last night, especially at 12 euros/glass. Any comments on the 2008?