Have you ever gone out and purchased every available bottle of a wine?

I bought every bottle I could find in the country of three wines I discovered late (during the release year but after the hype):

2010 Huet Le Mont Sec

2010 Gonon St. Joseph

2012 Pepierre Clos de Briords

Usually, I try to get in ahead of the curve. Sometimes, however, I’m left searching WineSearcherPro.

I thought of this after reading another thread where Mark Kaplan said he bought every available bottle of '04 Charvin.

Not since the 1998 Muller Catoir Scheurebe Spatlese

A few years ago I bought every available bottle of the 2004 Chateau des Tours Vacqueyras. In addition to the garrigue and Provençal herbs, this wine has a kind of cherry almost creme brûlée aspect to it on the finish that I have never had in any other wine. I know it sounds a bit weird but I find it delicious and intriguing.

I should have bought every bottle of Monsanto CCR when Costco was closing them out at $8.

When I first visited Jacky Truchot in 2002, I bought every bottle he had left of 1999 Chambolle-Musigny Sentiers at 12 euros per bottle. I am sure there were others of the wine in the world but still I enjoyed doing this.

'08 Jaffurs Verna’s. If I find it, it’s gone.

It’s rare that I would want to hoard every available bottle of any wine. If something pops up that’s high on the “target of opportunity” list I’ll ask a couple fellow winos who I know also like it if they want in on it first, but if they don’t I’ll try to grab all I can. So far, there’s been only a handful of wines that I’ve ever snatched all that I can find in the US.

2000 Comte de Vogüé Chambolle-Musigny
1995 Ponsot Chapelle-Chambertin
2001 JJ Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Auslese
1995 & 2001 Arrowood Reserve Speciale
2001 & 2003 Arrowood Monte Rosso

Some of the above were only 2 to 6 bottle lots. Others were cases won at auction.

winner winner. Thread now closed!

Never occurred to me to try!

I’m no vinous Bunky Hunt!

Yes. Though not in a while. The pocket book generally isn’t happy when it happens.

late to the game a couple of times but snagged all the 99 DRC I could find and all the 99 Roumier Bonnes Mares. That BM was about $120/b. Found onesies and twosomes and cobbled together a couple cases of that one.

I am sure that I was close to cornering the Vatan market a few times.

I snagged all the in bond cases of Krug 88 available in the UK a few years back bit wasn’t a huge amount though!

I think I very likely have the only magnum of 2000 Carlisle Mondeuse left in existence. But to answer the question posed, no, not even close.

When Havens Wine Cellars went out of biz, Cameron Hughes bought up much of their 2007 Black & Blue in bottle and slapped a Lot 179 label on them. While I didn’t corner the market, I bought a lot of splits, 750’s and Mags at about $12.50 per 750. Had another last weekend and it only gets better each time.

1 Like

When I first got bit by the wine bug…1999 Whitehall Lane Cabernet…I think it was a WS #3…still have a few bottles.

1 Like

Yes, 2012 Oyster Bay Pinot Noir ($12.99-$14.99) for that price point it was one of the most exciting Pinot Noirs I’d found in years that came in under the $15 mark. Unfortunately the 2013 & 2014 don’t have the same level of complexity and balance that the 2012 had.

2012 Caymus.

Stay away from my Loire reds, big boy!

Uh, that might be a long list…but what came to my mind immediately:

• 2010 Cappellano Barolo Pie Franco (750ml and Magnums)
  • 2010 Masseto Magnums
  • 2011 Masseto Magnums
  • 2009 Vogue Les Amoureuses
  • 2012 Vogue Les Amoureuses
  • 2009-2013 Liger-Belair La Romanée
  • 2014 PYCM Corton Charlemagne (750ml and Magnums)
  • 2011-2014 Keller Kellerkiste

and so on…I’ll stop here :slight_smile: