It's not Asili move to open this Santo Stefano now.

• 2001 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Santo Stefano - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (8/13/2016)
    If paisley had a scent this wine is what it would smell of. The nose is expansive and there are notes of lipstick, fresh flowers and earth as well. It has wonderful detail with crisp cherry, pomegranate and raspberry fruits. There’s a thread of licorice weaving through the flavour profile and it plays in that perfect space between sweet and savoury. Balance is exquisite. It is still supremely youthful but the pleasure derived meant that I didn’t feel cheated for opening it too early.

Posted from CellarTracker

Just had the 2001 Asili, and similarly young, but oh so enjoyable.

Great minds think alike. We had a power outage yesterday which was a great excuse to drink Giacosa SS 2001.Got the licorice and raspberry but no pomegranate. Did have that distinctive floral aroma but it didn’t reach the palate. I liked rather than loved the wine.

This was my only bottle, but if I bought another, I would hold it another decade. 92

2001 SS riserva is one of the great Giacosa wines. Mark, did we taste that wine together at Giacosa years ago? I remember buying a case at the enoteca down the street from the winery after tasting it.

Now that I think about it , it was the Rabaja not the SS.

Kelly, did you just have a special birthday or something?

Re the White Labels, recent experience shows in my view that the Santo Stefano is a bit more approachable than the Asili. I’ve found the Asili still in an awkward phase, but man did it sing about 7 years ago…

Yeah, big six-O. Quite the do.