Healdsburg area tasting room recommendation for a civilian

A couple who are friend of ours are going to stay in Healdsburg for a weekend. They asked me for a few recommendations of places to go. A few relevant details:

• they drink wine, and occasionally good wine, but they aren’t geeks in the slightest

• the wife drinks only white wine, the husband all kinds

• their price point would be much lower than most of ours. They don’t have to necessarily buy much, but I think trying $50+ pinot noir or something might seem a bit far out there to them.

• They’re mid 40s in age

I would think of somewhere that isn’t stuffy, where you can walk in, which has at least a a few whites to taste, and at least some of which are scenic and/or romantic. Of places I’ve been that might be possible candidates, I’m thinking of Copain, Gary Farrell, Hartford, Seghesio. But I expect some of you know other choices, and ideally one or more would be at a place with lower price point wines.

Thanks!!

A couple of places come to mind: Ridge’s Geyserville tasting room (though not so many whites) and Unti in Dry Creek, where there’s a wide range of Italian and Southern Rhone wines, including whites, plus zin. The wines are terrific, the prices are very modest and it’s totally unpretentious. Almost every time I’ve been there Mick or George Unti was behind the counter, which is another plus.

I’ve been to Seghesio a number of times, but I find the wines too oaky and alcoholic. It’s a shame, because I think if they dialed back a bit, they would be really nice. It is right in Healdsburg, though, if that’s a factor.

Porter Creek out the Russian River is doing some interesting things, too, and it’s a pretty spot – more hilly than the Healdsburg/Dry Creek area.

The last time I was at Copain, you needed an appointment.

Tom Hill said that Dry Creek Vineyards is underrated. I haven’t been there in 30+ years, but I’ve meant to add it to my list for my next visit based on Tom’s say-so.

Thanks John!

Rochioli has a pretty estate and it takes weekend walk ins. They usually pour a couple of whites and reds.

If they’re not picky, Stonestreet is in town and they pour a decent Cab and Chard.

If they’re willing to drive a little, Red Car has a funky little tasting room, and they usually have multiple whites and reds. They can also head down to the Barlow and visit Wind Gap, La Folette, Miramar, and MacPhail.

I second Porter Creek, small tasting room and really nice folks. We were there a few weeks ago and they let my son play with the exotic chickens. He had fun holding them.

My wife likes VML which has nice grounds with a good deck. The whites are mostly mid 20’s. The wines are decent.

Holdredge

Yup…that TomHill guy seems to know what he’s talking about!! [snort.gif]

Given the parameters in the OP, I’d highly recommend DryCreekVnyds. They have lots of whites and their prices
are reasonable. They’re probably making the best wines they ever have. And their tasting room staff
is very friendly and top notch folks.
Tom

I’d also throw out Preston, which is one a secluded and idyllic patch of earth on Dry Creek Road. Recall the wines being good and fairly priced, but mostly struck by being at a really beautiful and serene spot. I think the wines at somewhere like Unti are a cut above, but Preston is really lovely.

DaVero - Easy drinking Italian varieties, jug wine, no pretense, bio-dynamic, grow their own olives and press their own oils. Just outside Hbg across Westside Rd from Madrona Manor.

I think Scott Harvey is there, right?

Scott makes wine in the Sierra Foothills.

They would probably enjoy Ferrari-Carano, decent whites and reds and super grounds and winery. Kokomo would be a place they might enjoy- nice value on the reds but not sure if they do a white wine.

Doesn’t Siduri have a tasting room on the square now?

Nope…Scott lives & makes his wines in the NapaVlly. He makes, under the ScottHarvey and Jana labels, a lot of
SierraFoothills wines and has a tasting room in SutterCreek. But nothing in Healdsburg.
Tom

There seems to be a bunch of tasting rooms right in the town. None that any of us would try but they seem lively. I did buy a bag at Rosenblum.

Siduri has a new tasting room that just opened in Healdsburg.

In Healdsburg proper I would second Holdredge and the walk across the street to Davis Family. Longboard is close by as is Selby. I do see that Hartford now has a tasting room in town as well. All these can be walked to if your friends don’t mind a walk and a nice,casual way to end up the day is a stop by Bear Republic for post tasting beers and decent pub food. If leaving town I second Porter Creek, Preston, Copain and Rochioli. I will add Joseph Swan (a must stop for me when in the area), Quivira and Frick (Rhone focus, flying way under the radar and spectacular views).

P.S. to add a second to Siduri but I would make an appointment and visit the winery. If you get lucky Adam will be there and is a joy to taste with. Have not been to the tasting room. Also Woodenhead real close to Joseph Swan.

Oh, and If the wife is willing to try mainly reds Limerick Lane would be on my list. They may have a Furmit to taste.

Edit to add have not been to Siduri’s new tasting room.

Roadhouse winery is on the square and I enjoy their PN.

Lots of tasting rooms on the square as well if they don’t want to travel.

MacRostie

Easy to get appointment required on weekends, suggested during the week. Good wine in a relaxing, seated tasting.

Just a few miles out of town.

Robert

Big yes to Limerick Lane. It seems a bit geeky though for the people described.