2015 Beaujolais TN thread - post notes here

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by AlexS » August 11th, 2016, 6:58 pm

2015s are appearing on the shelves, let's see some TNs!

Three for me this week:
  • 2015 Marcel Lapierre Morgon - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (8/8/2016)
    From 375, popped and poured. Youthful purple/ruby, deep. Aromas of black cherry, raspberry, tarragon & parsley accompanied by a whiff of funk and underlying minerals. A savory, almost "meaty" note develops with air. Medium body. Dark fruits and herbaceous notes on the palate, decidedly youthful and primary. Comes off as a hypothetical blend of the 2008 & 2009 in terms of flavor actually...and, as almost always the case with Lapierre, the 2015 is beautifully balanced, with deceptive acidity perfectly complimenting subtle tannins in a silken mouthfeel.
    Clearly needs more time but all the pieces are there, will revisit next spring.
13.5% abv.

To me, this is classic Lapierre...as always, so good and sooo yummy.
  • 2015 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (8/8/2016)
    Popped and poured, youthful purple/ruby hue, quite dark for Beaujolais. On the nose, raspberry and strawberry immediate. As this opens, some of the typical Thivin-iron notes emerge along with subtle herbaceous qualities and hints of earth. Medium to medium-plus body. Exceptionally concentrated, this is a very powerful expression of Thivin, one that's amazingly concentrated, bracingly acidic, astringently tannic and thoroughly flavorful. Grand Cru quality, vin de garde that needs 10+ years and a near-facsimile of the 2009 on release; true "Wow!" wine.
13% abv.

The 2015 Thivin...wow, what a wine. To me, the 2015 is almost exactly like the 2009 but even better.
  • 2015 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (8/11/2016)
    Popped and poured, youthful violet/ruby. Fruit-forward (raspberry) and carbonic immediately off the pop, an herbaceous earthiness becomes apparent as this opens. Medium body. So entirely youthful on the palate, shows an abundance of lush, ripe fruit flavors that are cut by a decent dose of acidity. Although the tannins are well-rounded, there's a chewiness to them that's slightly astringent on the moderate close. At this early stage, the 2015 comes off like a more-substantial blend of the 2013 & 2014; that said, this clearly needs some time to sort itself out. Has lots of potential though...
13% abv.

No doubt, the 2015 Roilette has above average concentration and flavors that could come off as somewhat ripe for Beaujolais...which is perfectly fine for me. Still, it's just so youthful right now and hard to properly asses. Gonna hold my bottles of Tardive until next summer before trying one.

As for the 2015 vintage, hard for me to draw conclusions from 3 wines...still, it's pretty clear that it is a "big" vintage and one which shows plenty of potential. I'd even say the comparison of 2015 to 2009 might be entirely warranted. And speaking of, the 2015 Thivin is strikingly reminiscent of how the amazing 2009 showed on release, if not even better...Thivin's been on such a roll.
s t e w @ r t

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by Chris Seiber » August 11th, 2016, 8:15 pm

I absolutely loved the 2009 Thivin, so that's a great recommendation.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by AlexS » August 12th, 2016, 7:12 am

Chris Seiber wrote:I absolutely loved the 2009 Thivin, so that's a great recommendation.
I had a few of the 2009 on release and yeah, the 2015 is strikingly similar. Thivin's pretty much an annual case purchase for me now.
s t e w @ r t

Marc_Hanes

#4 Post by Marc_Hanes » August 15th, 2016, 6:18 pm

In denial of vintage switch, so although I have a bunch of 2015 Dutraive wines I am hesitant to pop any until I feel I have sufficiently worked through remaining 2014's...
ITB: Manhattan Wine Company

Brian Heslop

#5 Post by Brian Heslop » August 15th, 2016, 11:16 pm

I've only had the 2015 Lapierre Morgon so far. Really delicious and I agree whole heartedly with your note Alex. I also got a massive hit of parsley and a bit of banana that worked really well in the fruity drinkable bojo scheme of things.

Will have to keep an eye out for the Thivin!
ITB

Martin Steinley

#6 Post by Martin Steinley » August 16th, 2016, 12:35 am

Brian Heslop wrote:I've only had the 2015 Lapierre Morgon so far ... a bit of banana
Please try another bottle, Brian. It will be a dark day if I ever find any "banana" in Lapierre's Morgon. As far as I know, that vile attribute only comes from some of the commercial yeasts used in Beaujolais by the likes of Georges Dubeouf, whose wine reek of it. They are downright nasty.
ITB

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by AlexS » August 16th, 2016, 7:32 am

Martin Steinley wrote:
Brian Heslop wrote:I've only had the 2015 Lapierre Morgon so far ... a bit of banana
Please try another bottle, Brian. It will be a dark day if I ever find any "banana" in Lapierre's Morgon. As far as I know, that vile attribute only comes from some of the commercial yeasts used in Beaujolais by the likes of Georges Dubeouf, whose wine reek of it. They are downright nasty.
Martin, that's very interesting...I had always been lead to believe the banana/pear drop flavors were from carbonic maceration.
s t e w @ r t

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 17th, 2016, 5:54 pm

Liking the 2015 Thivin. Not digging it as much as the 2011 or 14; I can see the connection to the 2009, but I think this has a more tart fruit profile and greater acidity. Loving the sour and ripe fruit melange. Missing some of the earthy minerality and high salinity that hooked me on 2011. Fruit over earth at this very youthful stage. Another solid Thivin, and a worthy purchase. Will not complain, and actually appreciate, the vintage variations that Thivin shows.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Jeff V o g e l

#9 Post by Jeff V o g e l » August 17th, 2016, 7:31 pm

AlexS wrote:
Martin Steinley wrote:
Martin, that's very interesting...I had always been lead to believe the banana/pear drop flavors were from carbonic maceration.
I have to side with AlexS on this one. I've provided a few links below with some (seemingly) sound data to support. I do feel Matthieu has managed to avoid most of the confections of CM, which could be attributable to his tendency toward vendange entière and a rather Burgundian élevage. But I'd be confused as well if I were detecting a more or less overt banana note in his wines. They're certainly not out of the question though, and likely not a flaw (by most definitions). The isoamyl acetate ester associated with this banana note is one of the more prevalent markers of CM, not necessarily the explicit function of industrial/commercial yeast (though I'm certain the two in conjunction--along with cool(er) fermentation temps--would get you something akin to Dubeouf).

http://www.vignevin-sudouest.com/public ... an2014.pdf

http://wineserver.ucdavis.edu/industry/ ... cters.html

Either way, Brian, you've got another reason to open a 2015 Lapierre Morgon...I doubt you're complaining ;)

Brian Heslop

#10 Post by Brian Heslop » August 18th, 2016, 11:21 am

Martin Steinley wrote:
Don't get me wrong, the wine is gorgeous, the banana aroma was not a predominant feature, just something in the back ground, also it wasn'T the type of banana aroma I would associate with the likes of a faulty wine or even a wheat beer. The good fruit and complexity were well and truly the stars. While it could be bottle variation I would be surprised as this was present in all three that I've had so far. (All from the Sulphered edition).
The only problem with this wine I have now is that I need to find some more.
ITB

Bill Moore

#11 Post by Bill Moore » August 31st, 2016, 3:01 pm

From the first couple bottles I've had, I think the fears about the 2015 vintage turning Bojos into Rhone-like beasts are a bit overblown. To wit:

2015 Coudert Clos de la Roilette Fleurie: Given early reports about the vintage, I was bracing for a more "high-octane" rendition, but this was well-balanced and lovely. Warm, dark red berry fruit and peppery spice on the nose, without the usual, faintly stalky aromas I get from young Coudert. Plenty of ripe fruit and crunchy minerals on the palate, but also a little soft and lacking some of the snappy spine from prior years. While this may lack some of Coudert's typical age-worthiness, it's still a delicious, food-friendly version that's worth picking up. 90

2015 Marcel Lapierre Morgon: An absolute knockout. Reminds me a bit of the first 2009 Lapierre I opened way back when, both in terms of the sheer flamboyance of the nose and the ripeness of the fruit. But where that wine bowled me over with its floral, red berry joyousness, the 2015 is darker-fruited, meaty, and minty. Delicious, ripe, and silky on the palate, but with some sneaky bits of unwelcome heat on the finish. Unlike the 2014, which certainly has the bones for aging, I have no idea as to the staying power here (and in my experience, I liked the 2009 Lapierres less and less with each successive bottle), but right now, this is just an exuberant wine that's delicious as hell. 94
CT handle: Billigan

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » August 31st, 2016, 4:38 pm

Thanks, Bill, that note alone is prompting me to grab some 15 Lapierre (minus the heat!)!

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Bill Moore

#13 Post by Bill Moore » August 31st, 2016, 5:05 pm

Robert,

Don't sweat the heat too much; this is still Gamay we're talking about. You could guzzle the whole thing and still go out and bike the Tour de Orlando or whatever with relative ease.

Robert Pavlovich

#14 Post by Robert Pavlovich » August 31st, 2016, 9:18 pm

Grabbed the Thivin as an impulse buy the other day (one of those bottles you've seen too many times without tasting, and looks legit), then smiled when I saw your note on CT. Seems like one of the worlds better under $25ers.

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by AlexS » September 1st, 2016, 8:51 am

Robert,

I hope you enjoy the Thivin, would love to hear your impressions after you've tried it.
s t e w @ r t

Martin Steinley

#16 Post by Martin Steinley » September 1st, 2016, 2:40 pm

AlexS wrote:2015 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly[/url] - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (8/8/2016)
Popped and poured, youthful purple/ruby hue, quite dark for Beaujolais. On the nose, raspberry and strawberry immediate. As this opens, some of the typical Thivin-iron notes emerge along with subtle herbaceous qualities and hints of earth. Medium to medium-plus body. Exceptionally concentrated, this is a very powerful expression of Thivin, one that's amazingly concentrated, bracingly acidic, astringently tannic and thoroughly flavorful. Grand Cru quality, vin de garde that needs 10+ years and a near-facsimile of the 2009 on release; true "Wow!" wine. 13% abv. The 2015 Thivin...wow, what a wine. To me, the 2015 is almost exactly like the 2009 but even better ... And speaking of, the 2015 Thivin is strikingly reminiscent of how the amazing 2009 showed on release, if not even better...Thivin's been on such a roll.
For my palate, I can't imagine how Beaujolais can get better than the 2014s. They are the 2010 Burgundies of Beaujolais for me. Thus, I intended to sample the 2015 Thivin before buying in quantity, and expected to get that sample from Kermit Lynch tomorrow. However, Kermit's reps had hit the streets with it and yesterday they sold out the 100 plus cases they had. Thus, until Kermit gets a re-stock, I won't know whether the 2015 Thivin smells/tastes similar to the 2009, but its sales certainly are. Good thread, Alex. I will aim to post some notes.
ITB

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Chris Seiber » September 1st, 2016, 2:46 pm

I just bought a magnum and some regular bottles of the 2015 Thivin. I haven't tasted it, but between my enjoyment of past "bigger" type vintages for that producer, the notes here, the quality of the vintage, and the price ($22 at Winex), I don't see how I could go wrong.

Gene Ferrara

#18 Post by Gene Ferrara » September 1st, 2016, 3:12 pm

Martin Steinley wrote:For my palate, I can't imagine how Beaujolais can get better than the 2014s.
I'd have to agree, though there have been no shortage of excellent wines in 10,11 and 13.

14, for me, is about balance and harmony. Most of the wines are just so well knit right now, fresh, pure fruit, enough acid to keep them fresh and the finish long and clean and soft tannins in the background to give them some structure.

I'm drinking a 14 Thivin Zaccharie right now and it is magnificent.

I haven't had a 15 yet, have a few on deck.

JulianD

#19 Post by JulianD » September 1st, 2016, 3:35 pm

Saw the mags of the Thivin at Winex. Was very tempted.

Waiting until they get to TotalWine though, so I can get the Thivin for ~$19 with the 6 bottle discount
Davies

Martin Steinley

#20 Post by Martin Steinley » September 1st, 2016, 3:54 pm

Gene Ferrara wrote:
Martin Steinley wrote:For my palate, I can't imagine how Beaujolais can get better than the 2014s.
... though there have been no shortage of excellent wines in 10,11 and 13.
I couldn't agree more, particularly the latter two.
ITB

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by AlexS » September 1st, 2016, 5:09 pm

Martin Steinley wrote:
AlexS wrote:2015 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly[/url] - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (8/8/2016)
Popped and poured, youthful purple/ruby hue, quite dark for Beaujolais. On the nose, raspberry and strawberry immediate. As this opens, some of the typical Thivin-iron notes emerge along with subtle herbaceous qualities and hints of earth. Medium to medium-plus body. Exceptionally concentrated, this is a very powerful expression of Thivin, one that's amazingly concentrated, bracingly acidic, astringently tannic and thoroughly flavorful. Grand Cru quality, vin de garde that needs 10+ years and a near-facsimile of the 2009 on release; true "Wow!" wine. 13% abv. The 2015 Thivin...wow, what a wine. To me, the 2015 is almost exactly like the 2009 but even better ... And speaking of, the 2015 Thivin is strikingly reminiscent of how the amazing 2009 showed on release, if not even better...Thivin's been on such a roll.
For my palate, I can't imagine how Beaujolais can get better than the 2014s. They are the 2010 Burgundies of Beaujolais for me. Thus, I intended to sample the 2015 Thivin before buying in quantity, and expected to get that sample from Kermit Lynch tomorrow. However, Kermit's reps had hit the streets with it and yesterday they sold out the 100 plus cases they had. Thus, until Kermit gets a re-stock, I won't know whether the 2015 Thivin smells/tastes similar to the 2009, but its sales certainly are. Good thread, Alex. I will aim to post some notes.
Martin, you were the inspiration for this thread [cheers.gif]

And as you may or may not recall from the 2014 Beaujolais thread, I was one of many who was blown away by the 2014 Thivin...so much so I purchased a case. Imagine my surprise when I tasted the 2015 and felt just as moved...really, all I can say is that terroir is special and they are maximizing it.

I just hope KL restocks so you can get some in!! Which reminds me, I need to source a case of the 2015, ASAP...
s t e w @ r t

Martin Steinley

#22 Post by Martin Steinley » September 11th, 2016, 12:37 pm

Popped and poured, youthful purple/ruby hue, quite dark for Beaujolais. On the nose, raspberry and strawberry immediate. As this opens, some of the typical Thivin-iron notes emerge along with subtle herbaceous qualities and hints of earth. Medium to medium-plus body. Exceptionally concentrated, this is a very powerful expression of Thivin, one that's amazingly concentrated, bracingly acidic, astringently tannic and thoroughly flavorful. Grand Cru quality, vin de garde that needs 10+ years and a near-facsimile of the 2009 on release; true "Wow!" wine.
I received a bottle of this after all, and got to it last night. It is easily the most darkly-colored Thivin that I have had - more like a Diochon Moulin a Vent than a Thivin Cote du Brouilly. As Alex notes, it is rich, concentrated and powerful. It will have many fans among those who enjoy that style. It may very well stretch out with time to become a wine that I enjoy, but at this very early stage I find it to be a little too much of a good thing.
ITB

Markus S

#23 Post by Markus S » September 11th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Martin Steinley wrote:
I received a bottle of this after all, and got to it last night. It is easily the most darkly-colored Thivin that I have had - more like a Diochon Moulin a Vent than a Thivin Cote du Brouilly. As Alex notes, it is rich, concentrated and powerful. It will have many fans among those who enjoy that style. It may very well stretch out with time to become a wine that I enjoy, but at this very early stage I find it to be a little too much of a good thing.
A wine peddler was advertising a different cuvee of Thinvin as a "Cote Rotie"... uh, no thank you.
$ _ € ® e . k @

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by AlexS » September 11th, 2016, 2:23 pm

Markus S wrote:
Martin Steinley wrote:
A wine peddler was advertising a different cuvee of Thinvin as a "Cote Rotie"... uh, no thank you.
And that actually gets me excited!

Although should add that when it comes to wine, I'm an omnivore and I can appreciate most any well-made, non-spoof wine. Vintage variation only makes it all the more fun.
s t e w @ r t

Martin Steinley

#25 Post by Martin Steinley » September 11th, 2016, 3:16 pm

AlexS wrote:Vintage variation only makes it all the more fun.
I fully agree, Alex.
ITB

Bill Moore

#26 Post by Bill Moore » September 11th, 2016, 6:39 pm

2015 Pavillon de Chavannes Côte de Brouilly Cuvée Ambassades: Sorely disappointed in this showing. Deep purple in the glass, with strong, grapey aromas and a big whiff of alcohol. On the palate, more grapey flavors and an almost syrupy texture with a hot finish. No improvement on night #2. The snappy acids and stoniness I've long-loved in this wine are nowhere to be found, as it shows scarcely any expression of its terroir or varietal character. What happened here?

Mark C Johnson

#27 Post by Mark C Johnson » September 12th, 2016, 9:12 am

Bill Moore wrote:2015 Pavillon de Chavannes Côte de Brouilly Cuvée Ambassades: Sorely disappointed in this showing. Deep purple in the glass, with strong, grapey aromas and a big whiff of alcohol. On the palate, more grapey flavors and an almost syrupy texture with a hot finish. No improvement on night #2. The snappy acids and stoniness I've long-loved in this wine are nowhere to be found, as it shows scarcely any expression of its terroir or varietal character. What happened here?
The 2009 version of this a couple of months ago was singing.
Memes & Tropes

JulianD

#28 Post by JulianD » September 12th, 2016, 1:00 pm

I know the 2015 vintage is supposed to be pretty open, how long are you guys planning to cellar your cru bojos?
Davies

Steve Brickley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Steve Brickley » September 15th, 2016, 7:47 pm

• 2015 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (9/15/2016)
    The trouble is this is coming right after the incredible 2014 for me. This 2015 has beautiful blue fruit notes on the nose. Just not much in the drink. Fruit is so subtle, tannin not big but easily overpower the fruit, dusty tannins. For me, its a skipped year for Thivin CdB. This is after trying two bottles of the 2015. i have one more. (88 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
Last edited by Steve Brickley on September 18th, 2016, 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Ian Fitzsimmons

#30 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » September 16th, 2016, 4:37 pm

I'm drinking a glass of 2005 Thivin C. d. Brouilly now, and it's delicious. I bought a case of the 05 on release, after trying one bottle, because I was so much taken with its burly tannic structure, and absence of anything in the grapy-Beaujolais department. I've held back about half, because I wanted to test the notes of Gilman - and a few others - who either forecast extravagent drinking windows (out to 2030 for the '05), or testify to drinking very old bottles that outshine 1er Chambolles. I haven't tasted enough Chambolle to compare, but wine in this bottle is very fine and not remotely tired.

I've developed of view on well-vinified Beaujolais that, because of the generous endowment Gamay gives in both fruit and acid, the wines go through a more dramatic transformation with age than wines made from many other varieities. I've observed them to go through an ugly phase, where the ample, youthful fruit is collapsing (chemically), when the wine can taste vegetal and even ruined; but that it will often come through the other side with delicate, lacy acidity and transparent, nuanced fruit that is nothing like what you find in the young wine. I've observed this developmental curve in Beaujolais from Tete, Thivin, Vissoux, and Desvignes. 2005 Tete cuvée prestige (from magnum), which was harsh, almost alkaline in presentation several years ago, was a dream last year, as were also Vissoux '05 deux Roches and Garants from 750 a few years ago, on the second day after opening.

NoahR

#31 Post by NoahR » September 16th, 2016, 6:32 pm

Anyone out there have experience with the various Thivin crus, as I have heard that Fass brings in some of his hard-to-source single vineyard designates but have not tasted them.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Robert Panzer

#32 Post by Robert Panzer » September 17th, 2016, 12:59 pm

I've got Coquelet and Julien Sunier '15s in the offering queue.
I love the delicacy of Julien's style.
I am not too familiar with the Coquelet wines, but I love great Chiroubles, and it seems that he has very good old vine sources there.
Anybody have thoughts on the Coquelet wines?
Merci.
I T B - Down to Earth Wines

P@u1_M3nk3s
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by P@u1_M3nk3s » September 17th, 2016, 10:26 pm

NoahR wrote:Anyone out there have experience with the various Thivin crus, as I have heard that Fass brings in some of his hard-to-source single vineyard designates but have not tasted them.
I was curious too, as I have the Godefroy, La Chappelle and Zacharrie on order. (Well in 6 months it appears I'll be a resource on the 2015s!)
Cheers,
Paul

dteng

#34 Post by dteng » September 19th, 2016, 7:07 pm

WOW.
You guys weren't kidding about the 2015 Lapierre Morgon.
Super good, fruit forward, dark and so so interesting.
I almost think to drink this while the 2014 ages...

Btw I detected no heat.
Dan

BrianMarshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by BrianMarshall » September 20th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Some impressions on the regular Coudert Fleurie and the Cuvee Tardive below. I normally prefer the Tardive but was a little surprised at how disjointed it showed on the second day. I've got another bottle of the regular Fleurie going now (open since Sunday night) and it is in line with my note below, but the fruit is being tempered down by the extended aeration and is showing nicely.

2015 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (9/14/2016)
This is a robust wine with forward, succulent purple and red toned fruits; showing a touch of stalkiness on the nose that doesn't appear on the palate until after having been opened a few hours time. For all of its ripe, youthful fruit there is a good mineral vein running through this, particularly on the backside, where some grippiness shows itself with air. Without intending to be too critical, this wine is more about what it doesn't have than what it does, as it seems to trade snappy fruits for ripe succulence and the herbaceous streak that defines the backend of the 2014 is less noticeable here. Lastly, this sacrifices some freshness in favor of breadth and lush fruit. Nevertheless, this is a pleasant wine to drink with some good hidden structure.

2015 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Cuvée Tardive - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie (9/15/2016)
Drank this over two days and saw a big difference:

Day 1:
Pretty dark forward fruit (black raspberries, plum skin, violets) with a nice mineral vein running through the middle, which helped to keep things precise. While all about the fruit and still somewhat of a larger-scaled wine, the fruit was more in check than the normal bottling I'd had the day prior and there were still good underlying soil tones and nice structure.

Day 2:
This seemed to become overwhelmed by the fruit, which began to show a touch warm and covered up much of the nuance and structure noted from day one, I was a little disappointed.

Posted from CellarTracker
CT: WMWG

Martin Steinley

#36 Post by Martin Steinley » September 20th, 2016, 9:36 pm

BrianMarshall wrote:overwhelmed by the fruit, which ... covered up much of the nuance
Good notes, Brian, thank you. I have only had the 2015 Thivin thus far, but this would describe it quite well. I have 2015s from Breton, Chanrion, Chignard and Dupueble arriving tomorrow from Kermit, so I will get my impressions of them up here shortly.
ITB

JeromeHan

#37 Post by JeromeHan » September 20th, 2016, 10:06 pm

dteng wrote:WOW.

Btw I detected no heat.
I've had a few bottles of the 14 and recently purchased a few of the 15, which I have not tried yet.

Just curious which you prefer and why you are considered drinking the 15 young and aging the 14?

BrianMarshall
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by BrianMarshall » September 21st, 2016, 11:14 am

I had a 2015 Lapierre Morgon (S) at lunch today. I'll write up a formal note later in CT but here are some impressions I jotted down afterwards:

• Very polished and sexy with forward, transparent fruit
• Darker toned than other vintages; more purple and blue fruits (primary) mixed in with red fruits (secondary). Still nice and cool. Moving to a greater proportion of red fruit with air.
• Some carbonic funkiness and effervescence on opening and in entry
• Very gulpable, with sweet candied fruit tones coming out in the middle and carrying into the back (could this be what Brian H is noting as banana in post # 5???)
• Classic Lapierre riverbed/ saline/ rainwater finish that sits beneath a crest of fruit on the outset - I love this
• Mild tannin, showing up on the backside. Seemingly low acidity, though that may be deceiving as the fruit remains transparent and fresh on the palate (I often get this from M. Lapierre) and never shows any warmth.
• No real herbal notes, maybe a touch burried on the backend. There seems to be a lot more going on towards the backend.

I came away from this liking it, but thinking it will be an early drinker while the 2014s develop as it comes off lighter in structure. There's nothing wrong with this, but it felt like it didn't demand a lot from me as the drinker. Personally, I wonder when they picked the fruit as it is ripe but not warm and retains sufficient freshness, while managing to avoid nasty underripe tannins.
CT: WMWG

dteng

#39 Post by dteng » September 21st, 2016, 12:33 pm

JeromeHan wrote:
dteng wrote:WOW.

Btw I detected no heat.
I've had a few bottles of the 14 and recently purchased a few of the 15, which I have not tried yet.

Just curious which you prefer and why you are considered drinking the 15 young and aging the 14?
I like them both.
I think 2014 has more structure to go longer, while 2015 has silkier near term drinking,at least to me.
If I was forced to choose, I'd go with 2014…but as with all choices with wine, why not have both!! ;)

Can't wait to try 2015 Foillard CdPy.
Dan

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by AlexS » September 21st, 2016, 12:45 pm

dteng wrote:Can't wait to try 2015 Foillard CdPy.
+1

This is the one 2015 that I would love to be a redux of the 2009.
s t e w @ r t

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Alan Rath » September 21st, 2016, 7:52 pm

I tasted through a few of the Dutraive wines, all labeled at 14.5%

2015 Domaine de la Grand’Cour Fleurie Chapelle des Bois - med dark ruby violet, fairly rich and lush, nice acidity, definitely warmer year but not heavy, very gluggable.

2015 Domaine de la Grand’Cour Fleurie Clos de la Grand’Cour - shows the warmth but stays classy and elegant, nice medium flavor, good balance.

2015 Domaine de la Grand’Cour Brouilly Cuvée Vieilles Vignes - beautiful medium darker color, quite rich, nice medium darker flavors, great acidity.

Overall, the wines were pretty clearly "warmer year", shorter term wines for sure, but quite enjoyable nevertheless.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Michae1 P0wers » September 22nd, 2016, 10:51 am

Robert Panzer wrote:I've got Coquelet and Julien Sunier '15s in the offering queue.
I love the delicacy of Julien's style.
I am not too familiar with the Coquelet wines, but I love great Chiroubles, and it seems that he has very good old vine sources there.
Anybody have thoughts on the Coquelet wines?
Merci.
Robert I think Coquelet is excellent. I haven't had '15, in fact it's been a few years, but I found remarkable purity in the wines I've tried. There were some intense brett issues with IIRC some '09s but the less affected bottles were killer. I hear good things about Sunier but have never pulled the trigger. Too many great producers to follow them all.

Martin Steinley

#43 Post by Martin Steinley » September 22nd, 2016, 10:14 pm

Well, based upon a sample size of two, the 2015 vintage is much like the 2009. The 2015 Nicole Chanrion Cote-de-Brouilly pours out dark, just like the Thivin. However, I find that the vintage plays better into Chanrion's more rustic, masculine style. What a nose! The strawberry/floral perfume gets up into the nasal passages in a hurry. On the palate, there are oodles of rich, brambly, dark strawberry/cranberry fruit tossed with some bright pine needle action. I find more delineation, freshness and clarity here than with the Thivin, but make no mistake about it, this is full-on, in-your-face Gamay goodness. The 2014 version of this wine is really good but, now, it is for sissies.
ITB

Stan Y.

#44 Post by Stan Y. » September 23rd, 2016, 5:08 am

Had '15 Lapierre last night, too jammy for me, decent enough but my thing.
S. Y @ t € s

m. ristev

#45 Post by m. ristev » October 16th, 2016, 9:16 am

by far the best 2015 i have tasted so far is the julie balagny moulin-a-vent. it is her first vintage producing this cru after acquiring a small parcel. truly a spectactular wine that transcends the vintage. incredibly pure and transparent with bright fruit. fantastic acidity to accompany the wonderful structure and fine tannins. very burgundian in style and built for the cellar. hugely perfumed nose. zero brett. label says 14% but drinks much lower, no heat on the finish. the lapierre drinks like much higher abv than this and is certainly far overripe.
mајкл

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 14th, 2016, 5:30 pm

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:Liking the 2015 Thivin. Not digging it as much as the 2011 or 14; I can see the connection to the 2009, but I think this has a more tart fruit profile and greater acidity. Loving the sour and ripe fruit melange. Missing some of the earthy minerality and high salinity that hooked me on 2011. Fruit over earth at this very youthful stage. Another solid Thivin, and a worthy purchase. Will not complain, and actually appreciate, the vintage variations that Thivin shows.
Bottle number 2. Digging this even more. Really intense fruit for a Beaujolais. AFWE ban me now, I'm hooked. One of the more intense, powerful Beaujolais I recall having in recent memory, but cut with some bracing acidity. A sexy wine. Not every wine needs to be a "thinker".

Kenny H (circa 2015)

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by AlexS » November 14th, 2016, 6:59 pm

Robert, thx for the update, sounds like it's a good time to check in on the 2015 Thivin.
s t e w @ r t

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by Alan Rath » November 14th, 2016, 7:07 pm

Robert Alfert, Jr. wrote:AFWE ban me now
[youtube]4diUdRy2YL4[/youtube]
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » November 14th, 2016, 7:13 pm

Red on the inside!

Kenny H (circa 2015)

danupdike

#50 Post by danupdike » November 19th, 2016, 7:53 am

Tasted the 2015 Julien Sunier Fleurie and Morgon, both pop and pour. The Fleurie was very aromatic bright, and crunchy, medium/full-bodied. Pretty tasty now.
The Morgon was fairly closed in comparison aromatically, darker, meaty with some iron-like nuances. Almost tasted like a Crozes Hermitage. Needs time.
ITB retail sales

Return to “Wine Talk”