Would you/ Do you buy from Acker ?

In some recent searches using W-S, Acker has been at or close to the lowest pricing. And while these aren’t trophy wines that are likely to be counterfeited, I wonder if I should be paying a premium to shop elsewhere. Would you or do you currently shop with Acker ?

Prices you are seeing are most likely the low auction estimates or current bids. Keep in mind that the prices will also have an added 23.5% buyers premium from the auction price, plus tax and shipping.

No chance.

No way no how.

Retail or auction? Older bottles or current release?

A couple of dear friends work for the retail store and I have no issue buying current release from them.

I purchased from them in the mid 00’s before the drama went down. They were at one time a good (not great) auction house and I have several bottles of Burgundy from them (all have been excellent so far).

I don’t think I would buy from them now but I also wouldn’t buy from wine bid.

Auctions, at one time were a place to get trophy and non trophy wines, back fill and buy case quantities. Only when wine spiked and serious greed got into the game did auctions really turn the corner to places where you find mostly trophies at stratospheric prices.

Apologies for not being clear, my question was based around their retail operations, not auction. And again, we’re talking $50-175 bottles.

For current or close to current release from retail, I would not worry. They are a wine store just like any other at that level. Whether you want to give them business or not for more, shall we say, philosophical reasons, is another matter.

Buying single bottles from any auction house is a lottery, you might get a good bottle or than likely your getting someone elses crap

Is Acker really the best place to find counterfeit wines anymore?
I know back in the day they were quite good but now?
I’m just not sure?

I’d wager they are still a pretty reliable source Mel. I would buy with a good deal of confidence that I’m not going to end up with something authentic.

I had better luck buying older vintages from Acker than the board darling Chambers. There I said it.

I wonder if John Kapon might post here, to present his point of view.

And what would that achieve? I have never met the man but what could he possible say that would do this thread any good or change people’s opinion about him?

Not wanting to give any part of Acker one’s business is a personal decision, but I agree with Sarah that the retail store is a normal operation (i.e. no funny business). I haven’t bought from them in some time, and never bought much at all, but the bottles I did get were fine. I still get emails but what they’re offering are almost exclusively trophy wines, way above my comfort level.

NO NO NO NO NO

I used to, but no longer.

I am a small fry left who fled that pond. There has never been any reach out to reassure me about lots that I would or might buy and I will just not go back. For sense of scale my lots would average 600 to $900.

Nope. There are people who I would prefer to give business to, even if it costs a few dollars more.

Perhaps a bit off the subject, but if you were going to sell a quantity of wine at auction, which auction house would you choose? Who would you prefer in terms of customer service, attracting bidders that would result in the highest realized prices, pays the seller in a reasonable time frame, and has the lowest sellers’ premium? Or do you think selling through a retailer that buys or consigns is a better way to go?

Just curious. No plans to sell anytime soon. Have only sold at auction a couple of times…at Butterfields maybe 20 years ago, at Ackers about 10-15 years ago (took a while to get paid), and have sold to retailers since then on occasion. But upon my passing, if my wife or daughters wanted to sell the wines that were more valuable than they cared to crack open, where would you steer them?

I would welcome his input.