Any vineyards affected by the Soberanes Fire?

I see the Pisoni farm a Soberanes Vineyard. Are there any vineyards burned in the Soberanes Fire in Monterey County? Or is smoke affecting any vineyards?
Of course, wine is not as important as the homes lost or firefighter killed when the bulldozer rolled.

Not sure. The fire evacuated the Tassajara Hot Springs area and there are some nearby vineyards. Lots of illicit pot reportedly went up in flame.

The guys they rescued from the fire were working on pot farms. We got smoke from the fire up here in Reno. Reggae music is suddenly popular.

Yo, All the while dem depon di bashment !

I just walk outside and take a deep breath! [wink.gif]

I hear there are a ton of Doritos being sold in the nearby stores!!

Guys,
There are a handful of vineyards currently affected in the Cachagua Valley, like the Bernardus Marinus Vineyard, the Galante, Joullian and Georis estates. Those guys caught smoke in 2008, too, so this second careless human fire is insult to injury. It remains to be seen whether vineyards in south Monterey County, or those in the lower Carmel Valley, Laureles Grade and Upper Arroyo Seco areas are affected. It looks like right now, the SLH, the majority of the Salinas Valley, Chalone, etc. should emerge unscathed because of coastal winds and inversions but the fire should continue for another few weeks before it burns out and we could run into issues. I hope not. This has already been quite a disaster.
Ian

How far in straight line miles are the Laureles Grade and Soberanes vineyards from the fire?

On the drive down yesterday to Brosseau in Chalone, there was smoke haze around Soledad but up by Brosseau, it was clear. Bunch of the firefighters were in town and staying at the local motel. Those firefighters are incredible.

Frank, I’m guessing 7-10 miles? The fire has been essentially contained to the north (Carmel Highlands, Carmel) but is still a threat to the east (Tassajara Zen Center, Caghauga) and mainly the south (Big Sur).

In the mornings we’ve seen fog combined with smoke, which seems to clear up in the afternoon. Smoke taint will be an issue, unfortunately.

52,000 acres now, 40% contained.

I hope there isn’t taint, as I know guys like Wells, Adam, Mike, Jeff and some others count on those vineyards as part of the portfolio of wines each year.

A friend of ours who was up here making wine in '08 is now in Carmel. She stated it was much worse that what we saw in '08.

I know there were other places in CA that were affected by smoke in '08 but AV/Mendocino County seemed to be that major focus from the press. I know I have had my fair share of wines from the central coast and Sonoma County that were affected.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2016/08/huge-fire-threatens-monterey-vineyards
“Smoke taint is a real problem for grapes and caused Anderson Valley to have essentially a lost vintage of Pinot Noir in 2008. Pinot Noir, which is thin-skinned, is especially susceptible.”

And we still get singled out as a entirely lost vintage which was not the case, many whites were not affected and garnered among the highest accolades to date due to not being in contact with the skins and a very low yield from the spring frost so flavors were more intense. The reds were all sold though mostly at substantially lower prices or under second labels. Its was my fastest vintage from release to sold out for us thank goodness. At $10 price point for Pinot Noir with free bottle of BBQ sauce if you bought a case. We had it for the peak summer season and case stacked it along the wall and it flew out the door.

We just drove home from Ben Lomond in the SCM and the smoke smell and haze in the air was relentless and pervasive from Capitola to south of Paso!!!

Yesterday morning was the second morning since the fire began that we could smell smoke in Salinas. It was largely gone by 11 am, but smoke seems to be pooling in the south end of the valley where it narrows, and friends of mine in King City have been complaining about the daily smoke. I’m not sure how much smoke the grapes can handle before these brief periods turn into real problems.

For comparison, the in 2008 a combined 250,000 acres burned in the Los Padres forest between the Indians and the Basin Complex fires. The only area in 2008 that had issue with smoke taint was the Cachagua Valley.

And here’s a story about a compatriot who is likely to have his entire vintage compromised.

In other news, the fire jumped the dozer line at Apple Pie Ridge last night and a lot more people got evacuated. Sad all around.

I was up at Brosseau and Antle this AM. Still all clear.

Wow, just drove thru Big Sur. Parks all closed, lots of smoke. Ash coating everything.

Cal Fire people everywhere and heavy equipment like I’ve never seen. Bulldozers everywhere and helicopters water dropping from the ocean.

The burn area is MASSIVE.

Bummer to hear, my friend. I know locals who were PISSED OFF that Hwy 1 was not closed to tourists -in case the locals needed to evacuate.

I understand things have died down a bit - any site of flames from the road?

Cheers

No direct flame spotted but the direct smoke plume is visible from big sur. the burn areas are very visible north of big sur along 101 up on the hills.

Sorry we missed you Larry.

I could see the huge plume from Alpine vineyard today (over 65 miles away). I have several friends with houses at risk. Hoping for the best for all involved.

Ash covered after 30 minute stop at Nepenthe.
IMAG2127.jpg