PSA - Zachys Burgundy Sale

Some crazy low prices. No affiliation

Looks like they’re moving a lot of 2011s

Not a single half bottle in the entire sale, seems weird.

Thanks for the tip. A bunch of 2011s for sure, but also some nice '09, '10 and '12 deals too.

that mag of 08 berthau 1er looked pretty tempting at 130~

Couldn’t resist the D’Angerville and Rossignol Pommards. Great pricing on 2010 vintage wines.

2002 Faiveley Volnay Santenots 1er. I happily paid $63 for this last year. I just popped one and it was fabulous. I had no plan to buy wine when I woke up this morning, but at $37 my plan changed. I’ve passed on this at $50 a couple of times from them recently.

I also bagged a couple of 2002 Faiveley NSG Chaignots 1er for $35.

found the Domaine Leflaive Charmes Chanbertin interesting. Never heard of that one.

Fantastic sale. So many nice bottles across a range of vintages, that it was hard to stay in control. My strategy this go around was to pick up bottles that would normally be out of my price range and that I could start dipping into in the shorter term (shorter than, say, 2010 GCs):

3x 2006 Chandon de Briailles Corton Bressandes ($55 per)
2x 2007 Bertheau Chambolle Musigny 1er ($60 per)

Very difficult to pass up the “daily drinker” pricing on the 2008 Simon Bizes ($25 per), among others, and was surprised they lasted so long.

They had me at d’Angerville Meursault.

Completely agree that this was one of the better Zachys sales compared to their regular sales which are usually at retail + :wink:

I’m impressed that I held myself to 3 bottles.

Ok, so you guys who know way more about Burg than me seem to be happy with the prices. The other Zachys sales I have looked into didn’t seem very attractive.
Any suggestions for how best to spend $400 on Burg sale items, minimum six bottles? Preference for red but I’ll entertain whites without high incidence of premox.

Four bottles 2011 Mugnier’s Marechale Rouge @ $55 ea. and two bottles 2011 Mugnier’s Marechale Blanc @ $70 ea.

FYI - Morrell Wine having 20% off all in-stock items today, which brings their pricing to reasonable/good.

-1. Bad vintage for red, and the blanc is a poster child for why chardonnay oughtn’t be made in Nuits.

Sorry, but I can’t give constructive suggestions at the moment because the phone site sucks, though I recall seeing some good offers on Jadot and Lafarge.

I’ve followed your preferences with white Burgs. Perhaps it’s a bit more sophisticated than ours. I don’t think that Marechale Rouge ever has a really bad vintage.

This item qualifies for Mix & Match FREE SHIPPING!
Use promo code: SHIPSFREE on 100’s of Free Shipping Items!

88-92 points Fine Wine Review: “…the white Nuits-Clos de la Maréchale is medium-weight with finesse, apple flavors, minerality, and purity. It is like the 2007 with a bit more structure. (Issue #139; 2013)”

91+ points John Gilman (View From the Cellar): “The 2011 Clos de la Maréchale Blanc is going to be a very refined and beautiful wine that drinks exceptionally well right out of the blocks. The deep and very floral nose wafts from the glass in a blend of apple, pear, acacia blossoms, lovely soil tones, a dollop of beeswax and a gentle base of vanillin oak. On the palate the wine is fullish, pure and very elegant, with good mid-palate depth, bright, framing acids and lovely focus and grip on the long and complex finish. Fine juice. Drink: 2013-2023. (Nov/Dec 2012)”

Nice pickup on these. They are already cleaned out!

JW

I picked up a few bottles yesterday too thanks to this tip. If I pick up a few more today, and select storage as the shipping option, does anyone know whether they will combine the orders for one shipment later?

If both orders were done ‘storage’ then, yes, they will consolidate later and send out to you when you set a date. If not, always best to call to make sure everything gets handled properly. I’ve had Zachys logistics do some goofy things shipping out my wines when I haven’t provided explicit guidance in the past. They are easy to deal with overall, though.

JW