Help me fill my last minute Napa itinerary

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Danny L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by Danny L. » July 21st, 2016, 10:36 am

So, I'm supposed to plan a Napa trip for six people on Saturday, and I'm left scratching my head on how to fill the middle of my day. So far I have

11:00 tasting with Jean Edwards Cellars, thanks to Karen Troisi.

Noonish lunch at addendum.

4:00 tasting at Alpha Omega.

5:15 dinner at Press.

Unfortunately, Myriad, Forman, and Matthiasson aren't available, Stony Hill is booked, and there are cat allergies, so EMH is a no go (sorry!).

Any help would be appreciated.
L = Lo

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member

#2 Post by adam landa » July 21st, 2016, 10:55 am

Try Pride or Biale.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Alan Rath » July 21st, 2016, 11:17 am

You could head over to Mumm Napa on Silverado Trail and wander through their fabulous photography exhibit. Right now there's an exhibit of photographs by Jim Marshall, well known rock n roll photographer. And a selection of Ansel Adams. Well worth the time.

https://www.mummnapa.com/visitmummnapa/ ... ts-gallery
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

David_S

#4 Post by David_S » July 21st, 2016, 11:52 am

Depends on who the group are. Are they people that haven't been in the area and a nice view winery would be a good choice or winos that the tasting matters more? We spend almost all our visits to the area on Silverado Trail, so I'm partial to those as well, but wasn't impressed with the tour at Mumm itself.
Spr3ch3r

NoahR

#5 Post by NoahR » July 21st, 2016, 12:02 pm

So you'll be coming from Nap up towards Rutherford/Yountville for Alpha Omega. Depending on style of wine you have lots of options, especially if you head a few minutes north towards St. Helena.

If you can arrange it, Larkmead is a great experience, but expensive ($100) and fills up fast. Other ones to arrange would be Phelps or Opus One if your friends are into Blue Chips.

Places you would have less difficulty getting a reservation but are great anyway: HALL, Ehlers Estate, just to name a few. And Heitz's tours are both free and walk-in.

If you call/email Martin Estate, which is next to Forman, they may arrange a private tour - it's amazing. Good wine, made by Aaron Pott. The house has been used in Ralph Lauren photo shoots and the owner has a magnificent collection of medieval armor and weapons.
Noah Raizman
Washington, DC

Bdklein
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Bdklein » July 21st, 2016, 12:16 pm

Elizabeth Spencer in Rutherford may be an option. Ressies not required and think it's on ur way.

Or maybe shake it up and visit somewhere other than another winery.

Napa soap company in St Helena ? Something else in town?

Also maybe look to Round Pond?? Oils and vinegars and syrups??
Bruce Klein

Danny L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Danny L. » July 21st, 2016, 12:54 pm

Thanks for the replies! I was looking into heitz. My group is pretty easy going. I used to be a member of larkmead until their pricing jumped the shark, which is too bad because I liked their wines, just not for 125/bottle.
L = Lo

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Mark Y » July 21st, 2016, 2:40 pm

4pm AO, 5:15 dinner might be tight! :)
Y.e.

Jim F
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Jim F » July 21st, 2016, 2:56 pm

Turnbull is currently pouring their 2013 Black Label and Fortuna cabs, per email rec'd yesterday......

Also, don't forget to factor in drive times. If you decide to wander up a hill, e.g., Spring Mtn, it may take some time.
Jim Freeman

Andrew W.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Andrew W. » July 21st, 2016, 4:18 pm

Heitz, it's right by where you'll be, no rsvp required. They pour some great wines, and the property is beautiful.
A. 'Wy.man'

Craig Pichette

#11 Post by Craig Pichette » July 21st, 2016, 4:26 pm

Corison

slada

#12 Post by slada » July 21st, 2016, 4:46 pm

I'm a big fan of Pine Ridge not too far from that area on Silverado- great wines, pretty spot- have tasted there several times- though as a guest of my sister who is in their club
cheers, sam lada

Brandon J.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Brandon J. » July 21st, 2016, 7:26 pm

slada wrote:I'm a big fan of Pine Ridge not too far from that area on Silverado- great wines, pretty spot- have tasted there several times- though as a guest of my sister who is in their club
OP I don't know what your palate is like or your friends but Pine Ridge is VERY new world....their wines were....not my style, to put it politely.

A TON of new oak, very high alcohol that did not integrate well and a very steap pricepoint for tasting compared to the quality of wine.

Heitz was great, free tasting, they poured a 1998, 2002 and 2004 Martha's. They had some cool whites/roses as well and they're not overdone.

We also really enjoyed Honig Wine. Beautiful spot, good wine, decently priced. Again, they were not so heavy handed with oak compared to many.
John sen

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Randy Bowman » July 21st, 2016, 7:53 pm

It's probably too late to get an appointment, but a tasting at Herb Lamb Vineyards with Jennifer is always a good time.

http://www.herblambvineyards.com/visit/
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

David_S

#15 Post by David_S » July 21st, 2016, 7:56 pm

slada wrote:I'm a big fan of Pine Ridge not too far from that area on Silverado- great wines, pretty spot- have tasted there several times- though as a guest of my sister who is in their club
+1
Spr3ch3r

slada

#16 Post by slada » July 21st, 2016, 8:57 pm

Re pine ridge-

I wouldn't necessarily argue that their wines are underoaked to say the least- but I haven't found the oak really out of place in these relatively big fruity wines.

When I think ripe and rich and OTT I think more frank family or rombauer- these wines are not close to those IMO.

I find them quite delicious and appealing to a broad group-

Regarding tasting fees- I don't know since I have primarily tasted as a guest of a club member
cheers, sam lada

Elizabeth Smith

#17 Post by Elizabeth Smith » July 22nd, 2016, 8:12 am

Thank you for mentioning Ehlers Estate. We are booked on Saturday and we are closing early for an event that evening. We do appreciate the referral, though. [cheers.gif]
NoahR wrote:So you'll be coming from Nap up towards Rutherford/Yountville for Alpha Omega. Depending on style of wine you have lots of options, especially if you head a few minutes north towards St. Helena.

If you can arrange it, Larkmead is a great experience, but expensive ($100) and fills up fast. Other ones to arrange would be Phelps or Opus One if your friends are into Blue Chips.

Places you would have less difficulty getting a reservation but are great anyway: HALL, Ehlers Estate, just to name a few. And Heitz's tours are both free and walk-in.

If you call/email Martin Estate, which is next to Forman, they may arrange a private tour - it's amazing. Good wine, made by Aaron Pott. The house has been used in Ralph Lauren photo shoots and the owner has a magnificent collection of medieval armor and weapons.
Travel Wine Chick - Elizabeth Smith Consulting
Freelance Writer and Consultant
@travelwinechick on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter

mmoyer

#18 Post by mmoyer » July 22nd, 2016, 10:57 am

Just up the road from Press is the tasting room of Behrens Family (old Karl Lawrence tasting room). Worth a look. For something new, we liked Mending Wall...beautiful facility and pretty darn tasty wine. A little further up the Trail from Press location. After AdHoc, you can also do the Yountville crawl of all the tasting rooms. Quiet a few. Altamura was doing tasting in his restaurant a while back. North end of town.
Mark

Kevin Stine

#19 Post by Kevin Stine » July 22nd, 2016, 4:20 pm

Heitz
Kevin Stine

F.Daner

#20 Post by F.Daner » July 23rd, 2016, 5:17 am

Danny- not sure if your still trying to figure this out but here are a few options

Blankiet is across from Addendum in Yountville and the wines are terrific and so is the visit. They are on the higher end though for pricing.

Turnbull would be a great option and their line up is getting better and better.

Bressler - if you like Forman you'll probably really enjoy Bressler. Great site in St Helena surrounded by some of the top vineyards. The wine is excellent and would be similiar to Forman stylistically. Pm if your interested and I'll send you contact info.

cheers
Fred

Rich Salsano

#21 Post by Rich Salsano » July 23rd, 2016, 6:29 am

Kevin Stine wrote:Heitz
+1

Free tasting and if you are serious and into wine and start up a discussion, there is usually some library vintage open on the back shelf that they will happily pour for you. ;)
Richard Salsano

Harris Goldberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Harris Goldberg » July 23rd, 2016, 6:38 am

We went to Heitz and the wines were great. Also consider Chimney Rock on the Silverado Trail, some really good wines there and the place is beautiful. Schramsberg has a wonderful tour.
WOTY so far... 2009 Hobel Cabernet Sauvignon ( Had it New Years Eve, so does it count? )

Chad Richardson

#23 Post by Chad Richardson » July 24th, 2016, 2:23 pm

I agree with the Turnbull recommendations. You may not have time, and they may not have availability, but we've enjoyed Gargiulo. I'm not staring at a map but think it would be convenient for your route and schedule.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I only look like I'm listening.

Danny L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Danny L. » July 25th, 2016, 7:18 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, we decided to go to Heitz, and it did not disappoint. Unfortunately, due to the laws of the universe, we had a missed connection with Jean Edwards. However, they were perfectly gracious, and my party was pretty happy with the Pokemon they caught in the area.

Here's a brief notes of some of the wines we tasted:

Heitz: This is a lovely little estate. The servers were polite and informative, and they poured quite a few library selections in addition to the normal tasting.

2015 Sauvignon Blanc: This was the favorite white wine of my group. Lots of tropical fruit and citrus on the nose. Lovely racy acidity and minerality on the palate. A perfect summer wine.

1998 Martha's Vineyard: I know that '98 has been much maligned, but Heitz was able to dry out their grapes before harvest. The result is an elegant Cabernet that stands in stark contrast to the brawny beasts you find at the local wine shop. Silky and supple, it goes down easy. Sweet blueberries and plums on the palate. Light wafts of dried flowers, plums, and tobacco on the nose. Just a nice wine. And a great deal at $110 a bottle from the library.

2010 Martha's Vineyard: Drinking very much younger than the '98, this wine is fresh and youthful, and hasn't lost its grippy tannins.

Alpha Omega: This is where my wine journey began. This is where Cabernet made sense to me. My first club and also the first one I dropped. I had not been by in a couple of years, and boy, has it become popular since those early days. But, my expansive Pokemon hunting party still received wonderful service.

2015 Sauvignon Blanc 1155: Classic 1155. Minerally, crisp, and refreshing. Still one of the best Sauv Blancs out of the Valley.

2014 Chardonnay: In a nutshell: Butter popcorn jelly bellies in the best possible way. Popcorn, toffee, baked apples, and lemon curd. This iteration has a bit more green apple acidity than the previous vintages. Steep at $72/bottle.

2014 Grenache & Syrah: 60/40 blend of Grenache and Syrah sourced from Napa Valley. Well made, fruit forward, and made in a modern style. Drinks dominantly of Syrah. Almost none of Grenache's typical notes are present. Mindbogglingly expensive at $92/bottle. This wine reminded me of why I dropped off of the mailing list.

2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Missouri Hopper: Barrel sample. And this wine reminded me of why I love Alpha Omega. Powerful, yet subdued. Fruity, yet restrained. Clearly unfiltered, there were still little grapey bits in the wine. If this wine was an entertainer, it would be the finest of ballet dancers. Man, what a beautiful Cabernet.

2014 Cabernet Sauvignon To Kalon: Barrel sample. If the Missouri Hopper were a ballet dancer, this is Misty Copeland. I bought a three pack.

Thanks again for all the help.
L = Lo

Return to “Wine Talk”