TN: Bidding farewell to Salil with Maximin Grunhauser

We had some lovely wines last night as we bid Salil farewell from Connecticut. I took short pours as I had to get home, and did not take formal notes, but all the wines left a notable impression. It was also good to catch up with Marco and John.

Note: No ‘Members Only’ jackets were harmed in the writing of these tasting notes. :wink:

1995 Maximin Grunhauser Riesling Kabinett Herrenberg
We did a pop and pour, and initially that was a disservice to the wine, as it still, at 20+ years old, had some notable sponti/sulphury stink. Fast forward an hour or so, and it’s all laser sharp citrus fruit and cutting minerals. Shows as a halbtrocken at most, and could age a lot longer, but might become too austere for some folks.

1975 Maximin Grunhauser Riesling Spatlese Herrenberg
At first this seemed to be on its last legs, a shell of fruit and overriding spice tones that normally speak of “generic old wine.” As with the Kabinett, air improved things, and more fruit emerged to complement the spices. It was certainly a “drink now” wine, but not on its deathbed as originally feared.

1983 Maximin Grunhauser Riesling Auslese Abstberg No. 125
So here we go again with the early dominance of bottle funk. In fact this seemed corked, but with air the mustiness completely blew off and a beautiful peachy, spicy, lemony aromatic emerged with good depth, balanced sweetness and decent, if not impressive length. The more air this bot the better it showed.

1995 Maximin Grunhauser Riesling Eiswein Herrenberg
This followed a J. J. Prum Auslese Goldkapsul (see below), and was actually not as rich or as sweet. What it did have was a fascinating blend of zippy fruit, black tea and spices on a medium weight frame. What it also had was endless length. I still tasted it at the end of the evening. It was a real treat to get to drink this.

There were a number of other outstanding wines, including a shockingly youthful and bright 1983 ZIlliken Saarburger Rausch Auslese Goldkapsul, as well as a 1990 J. J. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese Goldkapsul (or was that LGK – I did not get a photo record) that was by far the richest Riesling on the table, and probably needs another 15 years to come close to maturity.

There were reds as well. John brought 2. A constantly evolving 1985 Faiveley Chambertin Clos de Beze that had been double decanted 4 hours earlier still needed an extra hour of air to shed some of its Faiveley structure and develop silken layers of earth, flowers, red fruit and stone stood out as the red wine of the night. It was served alongside a 1975 l’Evangile that was a typically ’75 mix of fading fruit surrounded by still aggressive tannin. I liked the entry and finish on the wine, but the tannins caused a dip in the midpalate. Marco brought along a real treat, a 1934 Viuva José Gomes da Silva & Filhos Collares. It had been reconditioned (recorked) by the winery, and was still a deep-, dark red with all sorts of leather and floral notes. The high acidity kept it very lively. Marco compared the wine to a Nebbiolo, and with the florality I could see that.

An impressive evening to say the least!

The Long Goodbye continues. That Colares does indeed sound like a rare treat. Do you happen to know what year the wine was reconditioned and when Marco bought it?

I was under the impression that Salil only had Members Only jackets in his wardrobe. Did he show up naked? Not judging.

Nice notes, don’t see a lot of those wines around very often and it sounds like they showed well.

Salil claims he owns several normal jackets and blames Jay Hack for this enduring meme.

Outstanding lineup, as the riesling tyro I could only sit back, taste and listen.

Whew, good thing our tasting group didn’t listen when I suggested a MO jacket as our going away gift.

I don’t know when it was re-corked, but the cork wasn’t that new. If i had to guess, I would say about 15 years ago?

Also, correction on the producer, it was Viuva José Gomes da Silva & Filhos

Thanks. The photo I took did not get the entire label.

The 1934 Viuva José Gomes da Silva Collares is the oldest vintage of the wine you can buy at Garaffeira Nacional in Lisbon and it’s not even that expensive for such an old wine. We bought a bottle of the 1967 when on vacation last year. It was in great shape and delicious. da Silva has ungrafted Ramisco vines there. They’re on sandy soils, soils that the phylloxera doesn’t like.

I corrected the original post.

Good Lord, I read the subject line and thought Salil had died. I’m picturing guys emptying bottles of riesling onto his gravesite.

Close enough. He’s moving to Indiana.

AKA Purgatory.