GCC Member
GCC Member

Petite Sirah is pretty boring

#51 Post by Ken Strauss » July 15th, 2016, 2:19 pm

Rich Brown wrote:
Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
S. Stevenson wrote:Image

Right? Man I'd love a glass.
Big time!! Would love to taste this one.

Don't think I've ever even seen a note on it. Has anyone ever tried it??
Just looked it up.
Parker The 2012 Petite Sirah should be the greatest PS to ever come out of California(or the world). Made from 94% PS 6% Viognier and aged in 80% old hogsheads and 20% new French oak. It is only bottled in magnum and will be sold along with the new Sine Qua Non label art book. 97-100 August 2014
"Explaining is not supporting."

"Independence is a state of mind"

S. Stevenson

#52 Post by S. Stevenson » July 15th, 2016, 2:23 pm

Ken Strauss wrote:

Just looked it up.
Parker The 2012 Petite Sirah should be the greatest PS to ever come out of California(or the world). Made from 94% PS 6% Viognier and aged in 80% old hogsheads and 20% new French oak. It is only bottled in magnum and will be sold along with the new Sine Qua Non label art book. 97-100 August 2014
More from that review:
"A massive, full-bodied effort that offers incredible depth and richness without ever seeming heavy or cumbersome, it offers up blockbuster-styled aromas and flavors of blackberry, cassis, crushed rocks, beef blood and licorice. It should age for decades."
Stan

bretrooks

#53 Post by bretrooks » July 15th, 2016, 3:02 pm

I don't drink that much PS these days, and particularly not the more-polished styles you sometimes run across. That said, I've appreciated multiple bottles of Field Stone's versions over time, especially their reserves (mostly through my mother-in-law, who worked in their tasting room some years ago).

They're still big and sometimes need air to blow off a little reduction, but I find them to be a bit spicier/funkier and more interesting than most. They also seem to age forever, slowly mellowing and integrating over time but really not changing much. Over the last 5-6 years, I've had the 1978, 1984, 1991, 1997, and a couple of younger ones, and the age difference is much slighter than I'd expect. My experience is that they don't show much of their complexity until about year five, and waiting until closer to year 10 is better.

Most-recently:

2006 Field Stone Petite Sirah Staten Family Reserve - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (10/17/2014)
Not decanted, consumed over 2+ hours. A little funky on the nose at first, this came together very nicely over time, and the last of the bottle was the best. Almost black at the core, with a deep ruby/garnet rim. My note from 2010 still largely holds up - this is full of dense blackberry fruit, black pepper, baking chocolate, and hints of campfire and rubber (although the rubberiness dissipated with air). Subtle but present tannins and good acid for a petite.

Petite sirah isn't generally my favorite varietal, but I'm a fan of Field Stone's version, and this bottle is a good example of why that is. 90-91, and nowhere near being at the end of its life...my experience is that these reserve petites hold up almost indefinitely. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Bret R., Intrepid QPR Explorer

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Rich Brown » July 15th, 2016, 3:14 pm

S. Stevenson wrote:
Ken Strauss wrote:

Just looked it up.
More from that review:
"A massive, full-bodied effort that offers incredible depth and richness without ever seeming heavy or cumbersome, it offers up blockbuster-styled aromas and flavors of blackberry, cassis, crushed rocks, beef blood and licorice. It should age for decades."
Thanks! Yep, I have seen that Parker review before actually, but was wondering if any of us "normal folks" here on the board have had a taste. Would love to hear some candid feedback.

Jason Oliver

#55 Post by Jason Oliver » July 16th, 2016, 1:50 pm

Mending wall's petite has already been mentioned. That was inky, interesting, and a great value.

Prospect 772 from sierra foothills makes a petite/syrah blend called black tie charlie that is extremely good and only goes for 20 something.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by Scott Brunson » July 16th, 2016, 2:55 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:I am willing to push my chips into the middle betting Once & Future PS will be anything but boring.
Smart money Doc.
I used to like the Hayfork PS but I don't think they make it any more.
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » July 16th, 2016, 5:41 pm

Uncorked the 2013 Carlisle Sonoma County just now in prep for tomorrow night, got to tell you it smells great already. Will have next to a modern benchmark: Scholium Project 2004 Babylon.

Flannery Jorge Steak too.

Science!
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Rich Brown » July 16th, 2016, 5:53 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:Uncorked the 2013 Carlisle Sonoma County just now in prep for tomorrow night, got to tell you it smells great already. Will have next to a modern benchmark: Scholium Project 2004 Babylon.

Science!
Now THAT.....sounds like a helluva night!!

Good stuff buddy - enjoy!!

M Officer

#59 Post by M Officer » July 16th, 2016, 6:05 pm

Glenn Levine wrote:Uncorked the 2013 Carlisle Sonoma County just now in prep for tomorrow night, got to tell you it smells great already. Will have next to a modern benchmark: Scholium Project 2004 Babylon.

Sounds delicious Glenn. Too bad Petite Sirah has no tannin and acid to complement that wonderful steak.
Mike

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by David K o l i n » July 16th, 2016, 6:31 pm

M Officer wrote:
Glenn Levine wrote:Uncorked the 2013 Carlisle Sonoma County just now in prep for tomorrow night, got to tell you it smells great already. Will have next to a modern benchmark: Scholium Project 2004 Babylon.

Sounds delicious Glenn. Too bad Petite Sirah has no tannin and acid to complement that wonderful steak.
Nice

Bill Tex Landreth

#61 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » July 16th, 2016, 6:33 pm

M Officer wrote:

Nice
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » July 16th, 2016, 6:53 pm

That is unfortunate about the tannin and acid. Oh well, it's for science after all!
Last edited by Glenn L e v i n e on July 16th, 2016, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Rich Brown » July 16th, 2016, 6:57 pm

M Officer wrote:

Literally laughed out loud on that one Mike.

Well played sir. Well played.

Paul H Galli

#64 Post by Paul H Galli » July 16th, 2016, 8:54 pm

A lot of PS can be boring and unbalanced, but the 1971 Ridge York Creek PS is the greatest CA wine I've ever had...

TTT
Opinot, not Oporto...

Bill Tex Landreth

#65 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » July 16th, 2016, 9:07 pm

Paul H Galli wrote:A lot of PS can be boring and unbalanced, but the 1971 Ridge York Creek PS is the greatest CA wine I've ever had...

TTT
Just wait until you wrap your lips around Faith Winery's first release. Richard Walker WILL NOT FAIL!
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Alan Eden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Alan Eden » July 17th, 2016, 12:36 am

There are several 75 York Creeks on winebid, are they worth $100 ?
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

Brady Daniels

#67 Post by Brady Daniels » July 17th, 2016, 2:12 am

Alan Eden wrote:There are several 75 York Creeks on winebid, are they worth $100 ?
So this man was beating his head against the wall. When asked why, he replied, "Because if feels so good when I stop."

I know of no cases of wines gaining tannins and acidity over forty years.

If you already know you don't like pets, I'd say another bottle ain't worth $100 to you. Leave it for some other poor sap.
-Brady D on CT - Omnivinovore

Barry IncaRoads Sheck

#68 Post by Barry IncaRoads Sheck » July 17th, 2016, 3:05 am

Brady Daniels wrote:
Alan Eden wrote:There are several 75 York Creeks on winebid, are they worth $100 ?
So this man was beating his head against the wall. When asked why, he replied, "Because if feels so good when I stop."
*golf clap*

A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by A. So » July 17th, 2016, 10:06 pm

A broken clock is still right twice a day
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

Arv R

Re: Petite Sirah is pretty boring

#70 Post by Arv R » July 25th, 2019, 1:34 pm

d
Last edited by Arv R on July 25th, 2019, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R_@_0

Arv R

#71 Post by Arv R » July 25th, 2019, 1:36 pm

d
Last edited by Arv R on July 25th, 2019, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R_@_0

Arv R

#72 Post by Arv R » July 25th, 2019, 1:37 pm

Drew Goin wrote:
July 15th, 2016, 1:45 pm
I am amazed at the army of loyal Petite Sirah lovers who have crawled out of the woodwork in its defense.

I have always enjoyed PS, even though most of my experiences have been with younger bottles. I have had PS wines from all over California, as well as a couple from the warmer Australian areas. I enjoyed most of what I have tasted.

One thing that is not being stressed as heavily as I would've anticipated is the fact that many inexpensive varietal or PS-heavy bottlings are great QPR selections. JNBrown and Nate Simon have chimed in on some values.

The recent vintages from Bogle have been rather impressive. In the past, Concannon, McMannis, and other "Grocery Store" labels have delivered the goods for ~$10/btl.
I had to nip into an out of town grocery store to pick up some wine, and because its a resort area, its all overpriced off vintage stuff for the 'fine wine' section. So I retreated to the domestic shelves, and picked up a reliable 2016 Bogle Petit Sirah for $14 (!). I haven't had this in a few years but I figured this would be a harmless yet rugged selection. Still as dark as prior vintages, chewy texture, and brambly/berry palate flavors. It reminds me of gutsy Spanish wines made from Monastrell in a way. 14.5% abv, and you feel it quickly. It looks like it could stain a porcelain sink too.

Also: We picked up an anonymous white too, but that sucked.
Last edited by Arv R on July 25th, 2019, 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
R_@_0

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Anton D » July 25th, 2019, 1:39 pm

I like Retro Cellars' petite sirah a great deal and I invite Alan to try to rebut my statement.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Andrew Demaree
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Andrew Demaree » July 25th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Agreed. Retro makes terrific PS and the pricing is good, as well.

Jeff_M.

#75 Post by Jeff_M. » July 25th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Anton D wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 1:39 pm
I like Retro Cellars' petite sirah a great deal and I invite Alan to try to rebut my statement.
FYI - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=162324
Jeff M 0 l l

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Josh Grossman » July 25th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Opened a 2009 Jaffurs Petite Sirah Thompson Vineyard last night that was singing.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Anton D » July 25th, 2019, 2:40 pm

Jeff_M. wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 2:20 pm
Anton D wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 1:39 pm
FYI - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=162324
It was meant as my own little tribute to him.

Actually, I should have said that I 'challenge' Alan to rebut me.

Hmmm, maybe 'defy' Alan to rebut me.

I think he'd like that.

[cheers.gif]
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Gabe Berk

#78 Post by Gabe Berk » July 25th, 2019, 2:44 pm

I randomly had a 1979 Freemark Abbey York Creek PS and was amazed it still had vigor and a lot of vibrant fruit left. Very good wine.

I always buy the Rattlesnake, Hayne and Pesenti Petite Syrah from Turley as they are IMHO the best California Petite Syrah out there. If opening them young, they will blow your taste buds away with fruit, body and tannin. Takes about 5-10 years for them to settle down and become more harmonious and can age for 40+ years. Fun wines.

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#79 Post by Wes Barton » July 25th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Any winemakers looking at this: There's quite a bit of PS for dirt cheap way up in Manton Valley. Volcanic soil tames the tannin to a reasonable level and brings out tons of floral character.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

Andrew A r n t f i e l d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » July 25th, 2019, 4:21 pm

+1 on Retro. And of course an even bigger vote for Dunn. Those ‘90s Dunn PS are stunning.

S. Rash

#81 Post by S. Rash » July 25th, 2019, 4:35 pm

4 out of my top 10 all time wines have been Petite Sirah!

1999 Ridge York Mountain PS
2000 Pride Mountain PS
2000 Teldeschi PS
2006 Carver Sutro Palisades Vineyard PS

All drunk this past year, giving them all 13-20 years of age! Pets need that age to soften out the tannins. It’s hard waiting for them to age, but then I remember how they drank with that age.
S t e p h e n

Peter Valiquette

#82 Post by Peter Valiquette » July 25th, 2019, 7:25 pm

I recently opened a 2014 Ridge York Creek Petite Sirah...it wasn't lacking in tannins or acid.

Leonard Maran

#83 Post by Leonard Maran » July 25th, 2019, 8:33 pm

It's the common grape, Duriff in France. Sure, they age a long time, but IMO, they do not evolve much. I also do not like the sometimes, chalky mouthfeel.

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Wes Barton » July 25th, 2019, 10:52 pm

Leonard Maran wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 8:33 pm
It's the common grape, Duriff in France. Sure, they age a long time, but IMO, they do not evolve much. I also do not like the sometimes, chalky mouthfeel.
Try one from Theopolis Vyd. Theopolis, Highlawn and Halcon are all excellent. Think Syrah structure, savory aromatics, much more open, but still exhibiting PS fruit and personality. A couple people brought older Highlawns ('13 & '14) as brown bag wines last harvest and they've definitely evolved. (Disclaimer: I've bottled all three. Theopolis is made by Ed Kurtzman, Halcon was made by Scott Shapley, Highlawn is Philip Cuadra, who interned at Scholium Project, then at Roar with Ed and Scott.)

I'm a fan of the old Ridges with a lot of maturity, but their recent ones are not tannic beasts, and are quite enjoyable on release.

I've had plenty of great ones over the years. Comes down to site and winemaking. Site can provide less tannic grapes. On the winemaking side there are smart and dumb ways to deal with the tannins. I've had Tannat, Sagrantino, Aglianico, Nebbiolo, etc. with too much tannin, that will never resolve. I've had examples done rather stupidly, where something is lost dealing with the tannins, and I've had stunning ones with just the right amount of tannin to frame impressive varietal and site expression.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Howard Cooper » July 26th, 2019, 4:35 am

I am not a huge fan of most Petite Sirah, although I have had a couple of Ridge ones over the years with age on them that have been very good.

Where I think PS is very valuable, however, is in a blend with Zin and maybe one or two other grapes. A lot of old vine Zins where the vineyard was planted as a field blend have some PS in it. I believe that this includes Ridge Geyserville and Lytton Springs - by far my two favorite Zins. My sense is that the addition of some PS in these wines adds to the overall richness, complexity and agability of the wines. So, I think of PS as an important grape even if I don't generally love wines made solely from it.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

John Danza

#86 Post by John Danza » July 26th, 2019, 6:47 am

I'm glad to see so many people that don't like PS. More for the rest of us without upward price pressure.
John Danza

Carlton McCrindle
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Carlton McCrindle » July 26th, 2019, 7:16 am

Vincent Arroyo introduced me to PS and I have been enjoying it ever since.

markjchambers

#88 Post by markjchambers » July 26th, 2019, 11:42 am

I've been getting Turley Petits since 1994. I think they are up and down, but generally good with 15-20 years of bottle age. 1999-2001 was a good run for Hayne. Parker always said they would last 50 years.
Carlisle Palisades is a good bottle at good price point. 12 was very good and 16 is supposed to be great.
Another under appreciated bottle is Jaffurs Thompson. I bought the 2013 from them direct for $25. Good QPR.

D. HEIN

#89 Post by D. HEIN » July 26th, 2019, 12:25 pm

Bought two cases each of the Rockland, 1992 and 1993 PSs, reviewed below by Robert Parker. Began drinking these wines last year, and, for my wife’s and my taste, thoroughly enjoyable. I suspect these PSs’ have another 10+ years of drinkability. The only issue with this grape, is the time required to reach excellent drinking maturity. Admittedly, I prefer to drink very mature wine. Who’s willing, to purchase and wait 26 years, to drink a wine? Can be very expensive!

In any event, this was the beginning wine era for the great Mark Aubert!

ROCKLAND

Petite Sirah
150 cases produced
Napa, California

1993-Readers may remember my ecstatic reviews of Rockland's 1992 Petite Sirah. The 1993 is another dazzling example of this under estimated varietal. An impressively saturated, dense purple color is followed by a thick, juicy, full bodied wine with great fruit and intensity, good spice, superb focus, and a sweet, tannic, heady finish. This is a classic Petite Sirah. While the wine is approachable, it ideally needs another 3 to 5 years of cellaring. This large scaled, inky colored monster will last for 20+ years. Drink: 2013 to 2016+. Last tasted, 2/96. Rating, 93.

1992-The 1992 Petite Sirah is from the family owned vineyard, of Peter Michael Winery's highly talented wine maker, Mark Aubert. Made from 45 year old vines situated outside Calistoga, near Chateau Montelena, the wine was aged for 24 months in 25% new oak casks and bottled unfiltered. It is a tremendously impressive Petite Sirah, with more Syrah characteristics than Petite Sirah. The color is an opaque purple. Although initially closed, the nose opens to reveal aromas of smoke, black currants, and black raspberries. Full bodied, rich and beautifully balanced, with unobtrusive, but noticeable tannin, as well as adequate acidity and a sensational finish, the wine coats the mouth with a viscous feel. While accessible, this superb effort should hit its peak in 3 to 4 years and last for two decades. Drink: 2000 to 2020+. Last tasted, 4/95. Rating, 92.

Indeed, an admirer of the great Petit Sirahs!
Donn Hein

GregP

#90 Post by GregP » July 26th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Leonard Maran wrote:
July 25th, 2019, 8:33 pm
Leonard, agree and also disagree. Pets, when grown in right conditions, can be great. And this, to me, means the Calistoga to St. Helena axis, with dry, even and long heat. That chalky mouthfeel usually comes from way too much oak dialed in on top of over extraction (pump overs for hours), and I have seen some use 200% new oak on a varietal that usually has plenty of its own tannic structure "built in" from the get go. Some of the best fruit comes out of Calistoga area and at this point some of it reaches into Napa Cab territory price wise, for a reason. $7K per ton and up, when and IF you can get it.

Even in Calistoga/St. Helena its the valley floor that usually delivers better Pets, some mountain grown fruit can be too tannic. Outside of Calistoga/St. Helena some Lodi vineyards can be great (though most kill it with too much new oak, IMO, common theme with Pets), and then Geyserville area being an "extension" of sorts to Calistoga climate. Mendo fruit, for the most part, ripens at a very different curve and even when ripened to same Brix (mid 15s?) does not provide for same lush and rich palate fruit in Calistoga does. And, unlike Calistoga area fruit, where it can stand on its own with no new oak, Mendo Pets usually demand some to fill out the mid palate.

You should try Switchback Ridge, Madrigal, some Turleys as a reference point. Big, but usually deliver with some age on them. Grill up some meat and Pets will be your friend, to me more so than Cab.

Look up a recent Pets discussion, plenty of notes there, we did some of them blind.
G r e g P i a t i g o r s k i
I T B - i s k a r a n u w i n e

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » July 26th, 2019, 12:40 pm

Two of the best wines I have ever had were served double blind, side by side in 2004.

1971 Ridge York Creek Petite Sirah
1974 Ridge York Creek Petite Sirah

These were not just great PS, they were great wines.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#92 Post by MitchTallan » July 26th, 2019, 1:43 pm

I would respond but what's the use? What Tom Hill says.

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Hank Victor » July 26th, 2019, 3:31 pm

1993 Turley Hayne PS was drinking great last December. Blew me away.
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

"Two years away from being two years away”

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by David Glasser » July 27th, 2019, 8:21 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
July 26th, 2019, 4:35 am
I am not a huge fan of most Petite Sirah, although I have had a couple of Ridge ones over the years with age on them that have been very good.

Where I think PS is very valuable, however, is in a blend with Zin and maybe one or two other grapes. A lot of old vine Zins where the vineyard was planted as a field blend have some PS in it. I believe that this includes Ridge Geyserville and Lytton Springs - by far my two favorite Zins. My sense is that the addition of some PS in these wines adds to the overall richness, complexity and agability of the wines. So, I think of PS as an important grape even if I don't generally love wines made solely from it.
+1 to all of this, though a bottle of 1974 Ridge York Creek PS at about 25 years of age is on my list of all time memorable greats. I never had the pleasure of drinking a 1971.

G. Bienstock
GCC Member
GCC Member

#95 Post by G. Bienstock » July 27th, 2019, 3:03 pm

With regards to recent vintages, this Illuminare from Eldorado County, CA is my favorite. A 2 vineyard blend for complexity.

http://www.illuminarewinery.com/menu-it ... ite-sirah/
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

Return to “Wine Talk”