Breaking news from Piemonte...

Vietti sold the cantina and vineyards to an American?
That’s the dinner conversation here this evening in verduno… Anyone else with more details or confirmation?
George

Maybe this is why Ken V was in town?? :wink:

Not a chance.

Ray Walker? [snort.gif]

When news breaks, Ken V fixes it. [snort.gif]

Two weeks ago I spent half a day at Vietti. The people there talked about their expansion plans. There was no hint of this type of news. It’d be a big surprise to me …

+1 I was there Tuesday.

Missed you by two weeks Ken!

I thought the 2012 Vietti lineup pretty good, a little behind 2011. What did you think?

I would agree with the first part. The only 2011 I tasted was the Rocche at La Festa. I rated that one point higher than the 2012 Rocche. We also tasted 2 of the 2010s, which are simply in a difference class from either 2011 or 2012.

Herring the same story from multiple sources… Not saying they are correct but there is definetly chatter among the local producers…

Herring the same story from multiple sources… Not saying they are correct but there is definetly chatter among the local producers…

Well, herring sounds about right so far, and I think it’s a red one :slight_smile:

Are you sure you were not pickled at the time?

Ha! I left myself open with the typo, good job!
So, if the “street” is correct, the buyer is the same person/group that tried to buy the vineyards in monforte that Roberto Conterno would have none of… 60M € was the selling price and Luca will stay on for 5 yrs.
I guess time will tell if what I’m hearing is true…

If I understand the law in Piedmont, vineyards must be offered to the vineyard owners that abut the property for sale, which is why Conterno was able to acquire Arione. Can you get around the law by buying the winery? Luca has some very good vineyards.

Luca says this is BS. Well, to be more precise, he said it is “Minchia”.

Thanks Ken! That puts the rumor to rest for me.

That must have been “una minchiata”. :slight_smile:

By the way, Ken, I’ve seen a word of thanks to you in the acknowledgments of Masnaghetti’s book on Barbaresco.
One more recognition to you as an authoritative source on the wines of Barolo and Barbaresco.
Congratulations!

Thank you. Where is it? I am still waiting for my copy to arrive. Alessandro asked me if it was ok, and I said yes. But last week I was at PdB and looked at their copy. I did not see it, but I was looking quickly.