TNs: Welcoming a berserker back to the city

Fellow berserker was in town for his first brief visit back in many months. We drank expensively, but the wines showed merely OK - I think the heat and humidity did them no favors, even though we were drinking in an airconditioned restaurant (Marc Forgione, which treated us very well).

1995 Prager Riesling Smaragd Durnsteiner Hollerin - I thought this was a pleasant surprise. Well-integrated, doesn’t have that weird tropical nose / searing acid palate that some of the older Austrian Rieslings get. Some stone fruit, some hydrocarbon - speaks strongly of Riesling. Not too much stink here - clean, resolved, nice. This may have been my WOTN.

1995 Jadot Chambertin Clos de Beze - Very good. Darkish fruit (think somewhere b/w overripe bing cherry and plum), some truffle, lots of iron-tinged minerality, good length. Nice and aromatic. Tannins are a bit problematic - they’re very astringent. I think the tannins will outlive the fruit on this particular 1995, so I suspect it’s at peak right now.

2008 Vogue Chambolle Musigny 1er - Very feminine / red fruited / floral. Light. The acid is lower than other 2008s I’ve had and the wine is pretty seamless from start to finish. Tannin is there but powdery / ripe and should resolve. A bit too much oak here, but it is very classy / low char oak and just gives a bit more dulce de leche than I’d prefer. Has the potential to be a very good wine with time, but of course very young now and not really with GC concentration.

1975 Emidio Pepe Montepulciano d’Abruzzo - Very good, probably my favorite red of the evening. Has some of that good-oxidation walnuttyness, but also has some dark, fresh fruit; the effect is very pleasing but the table wonders if this has been reconditioned. Soft, dark plum, ripe. Pillowy, even. Tannins resolved. This is a warm-climate red to be sure but it is an excellent example of it. Reminds me of aged Montelena.

1985 Emidio Pepe Montepulciano d’Abruzzo - Cork was branded 2013, so this was either reconditioned or counterfeit. It was also massively flawed with acetaldehyde. Cider vinegar in a glass! Everyone dumped.

1983 Mouton-Rothschild - The table seem to really like this, but thought it was merely good and not at the level I would expect for a mature first growth. Lots of tannin left but the fruit has faded, and while this is pleasantly plummy / mushroomy, it doesn’t have any of the cedary, pencilly goodness that makes me usually love Pauillac so much. In other words, while tasty (and a good match for a rich, dry-aged hamburger), I found this to be simple and a touch out of balance. I’ve had other 1983 Pauillacs that I prefer.

1982 Reserve de la Comtesse - God knows what this flaw was, but the wine was undrinkable.

Hmmm…this is beyond cryptic.

Thanks for fine notes.
I have had many 1995 GC burgs, with “similar” notes as Your Jadot CdB. Eg. Clos de Tart, and Clos de Lambrays. -Both out of balance IMO, not to recover by ageing further.
And I’m still waiting for the memorable one.

Regarding the 1982, the flaw is the big sister, getting the full attention that special year. flirtysmile
And more seriously, the Reserve dlC, has been one of the better seconds for ages. Was it cooked, acidic, fecal, oxidized, fake…? More clues please.

Kind Regards, Soren.

According to WineTerroirs (Wine Tasting, Vineyards, in France: Emidio Pepe, Abruzzo (Italy)) and other accounts I’ve heard, wines that are held in bottle for a long time are decanted into a new bottle and recorked on release. I hope that Pepe isn’t “important” enough for people to start counterfeiting yet!

I’ve had better experience with 1995 1ers than GCs, oddly.

regarding the Reserve dlC, I honestly don’t know. I had to leave early so didn’t get a chance to explore its flaw in great detail, though the somm suggested that the wine not be poured so the flaw was that pronounced. I was really disappointed; I had a great bottle of the 1986 earlier this year so had high hopes for this given how good my only taste of its big sister was!

I just looked in My old TN note book. and found the best 1995 burg score was a
Dom. Laurent Gevrey Chambertin VV, Villages. 93pts. (-March 2009.)
And He’s known as a super-oaker… Haven’t had Laurent’s GC’s from 1995, but I guess He has been more generous with new oak, for the bigger wines… Maybe smaller is better, sometimes.

-Soren

Laurent’s 1995s are excellent. I’ve had a number of his Nuits bottles (Chevillon juice) that were excellent, along with a very good CdlR.