TN: 2007 Joseph Swan Vineyards Pinot Noir Trenton View

• 2007 Joseph Swan Vineyards Pinot Noir Trenton View - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (7/7/2016)
    I’m starting to think I could drink almost nothing but Joseph Swan Pinot Noir with a bit of age on it. So complex, so deceptively rich, and with the positive development in the glass, I’d say plenty of life left, but I’m enjoying them immensely now. Bing cherries, wet slate, and cola on the nose, with just a hint of heat on this one (warm vintage perhaps the culprit). Very strong acidity on the palate, with a real blast of brightness with that acidity - tongue-smacking brilliance. Some weight, but overall brightness dominate. A finish that builds for a short while - always a trait I enjoy in wine - then fades gracefully. Fruit is crisp, dry, bright, mostly red fruited, hints of blueberry on the finish. Brilliant - one of few '07 wines I enjoy this much. Wow.

Thanks for sharing. I was not aware of this producer.

Thanks for the note Todd. J Swan makes up the highest percentage of bottles in my cellar. Always great to see positive notes like this. The problem is me keeping my hands off! I don’t have a single pinot vintage before 2011 yet…and only a few of those!

I have found that the greatest benefit of an offsite wine storage locker is to put away those you NEED to keep your hands off - these were two I just pulled from the locker a few weeks ago, and have been in there for years. I do that with my Bordeaux, Barolo, and Windy Oaks Pinot [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the notes, Todd!

I have read a ton about Joseph Swan Pinots and Zins, but I have not had one yet (only a few CdRosa btld).

I think I’ve had only one zin, and none of the Syrahs or Chardonnays, as when I belonged to the club (Joe’s Drinking Buddies, I think it is called) I did a Pinot-only option. A few of us had a Swan tasting at Jason Hagen’s place of business a few years back, and didn’t have any blockbuster results on any of the wines that day, yet my last two Swan Pinots have been tremendous.

To be honest, unless I win the lottery, I will probably only try the “Cuvee de Trois”, as:
• the components are all top-shelf vineyards
• the price is almost 50% that of the “Trenton Estate”

Saralee’s Vineyard is also massively affordable

I’ve had mixed results with the Cuvee de Trois, but the 2007 version was fantastic!

I’ve got some of those plus the saralee '07’s I’ve never opened one. These might be first in the block when it cools off here.
Thanks for the notes Todd. Btw I found a little wine store by Sprouts over in your neck of the woods the other day.

You were by the new Sprouts in San Clemente??

Saralee '07 is great - open it, enjoy it. Looks almost light enough to be a dark rose, but fools ya!

The '14 Catie’s Corner Viognier is very good; tasted at the winery and brought a few bottles home. I also really enjoyed the '12 Ritchie Vineyard PN.

Swan makes excellent wine at even better prices; a shame they were chased away from BD a few years back.

I think we’ve tried just about everything in their lineup, this past trip we even ended up bringing home a Cabernet Sauvignon from the Trenton Estate; going to give that a few years before I checkin on that.