Rioja experts: does any producer make wines similar to LdH?

A question for those with more Rioja experience: who are the more traditional producers making wines similar to LdH? I recently exhausted my supply of LdH and while I was remedying that situation I began to wonder what other producers I should be searching out. I have had most of the bigger names at one time or another, but thought I’d mine the board for experienced opinions. Thanks!

If you have some nice quality balsamico, a few drops in a clean wine like Muga or Murrieta should create a reasonable facsimile of LdH :wink:

Check these out, and ridiculous values too.

Of course with the price of real balsamico this experiment becomes cost prohibitive.

Thanks Ian, I may check those out

I’m assuming you’ve tried various efforts in the La Rioja Alta lineup. I don’t know if you’d consider them LdH-esque, but I consider them traditional.

Other names I’ve tried in the last year, that were new to me, but felt traditional were Bagordi and Marques de Hueco.

I have a love to traditional Rioja and started with LdH as they are the giants and a familiar name. As Arv R said above, you should try La Rioja Alta and I’m partial to the La Rioja Alta 904 (around $40 ish) as I think it’s a relative bargain.

I also LOVE CVNE Imperial Gran Reserva which is a couple dollars more and a little better wine for my palate.

Any Gran Reserva from CVNE or Riojanas is a good place to start, though both are less acetic than LdH can be.

I was thinking of Riojanas, too, but was hesitant as I’ve not had any that’s post 1996 vintage and am not sure if they make their wines the same as before.

Btw, I liked the old-school styles (imho) of their Monte Real and Gran Albina labels that I’ve had.

Check out Bodegas Hermanos Pescina. Founded by a guy who was the winemaker or Vineyard manager at Rioja Alta. Not quite of LDH quality, but very good and very traditional

That’s who came to mind for me too, if we’re talking about red.

But the OP didn’t mention a color. And for me, LdH’s white are way more distinctive than their reds… heck, I’m starting to think my palate prefers LRA’s reds even if my mind objects. Does anyone in Rioja make anything even beginning to approach the style of their whites? If not now, in the past - and how far back do I have to look?

Another vote for Pecina - http://www.polanerselections.com/producer/hermanos-de-peciñ

great wines and great prices

I’m glad someone else said that. I always feel guilty for preferring the LdH whites to the reds.

Put me down as a fan of the Tondonia Biancos. I have found the Gravonias to be a bit dodgy. If it’s the excitement of having 1 out of 5 wines being great that you love about LdH then they stand alone. If you want consistently great wine then it’s La Rioja Alta across the whole line. Muga can be good too but even the Prado Enea has become a bit too ripe in recent releases.

Just one man’s opinion.

I’ve had some amazing old LdH GR blancos. Those used to be seriously cheap too at PJs for <$30 like 5-6-7 years ago, when the '89 GR Tondonia Blanco was the current release.

Good point, Ramon. The youngest Riojanas I’ve had is from 2001, seemed reasonably true to the bodega’s older style. But that was made 15 years ago (!), so it may no longer be the case.

I also liked the CVNE Vina Real GR 2001 a lot a few years back, with its serious vein of acidity. I laid some down for a rainy day, maybe it is time to revisit.

1 Like

On a whim (and Ian’s reco) I ran out and bought one of these to try. I found the '05 Bordon Gran Reserva near me. Really interesting flavor profile. A bit more polished in style than LdH, but tasty and as Ian mentioned, well made wine for a reasonable tariff (this bottle was $25).

La Rioja Alta is the closest in style to Heredia IMO. I love Pecina, but find it a very different kind of thing.

I really can’t deal with the LdH whites – I’m surprised there is so much love for them on this thread.

I’d also chime in with prior posters suggestions on many of the CVNE bottlings - traditional and widely available for lower levels.

If you can get wine shipped to you, PJ’s has one of the best Spanish selections (130+ Rioja’s alone) but K&L isn’t that shabby either (80+ Riojas) and their web site is easier to use. Both also have some producers which don’t seem widely distributed.

I’ve had terrible luck with older LDH Gran Reservas, about equally divided between Tondonia and Bosconia, all bought from reliable retailers.