2007 Léoville Barton

Open and decanted for two hours last night. This stunning wine offers lots of finesse and complexity, as well as extraordinary purity, and classic minerality along with super delicate fruit. Even violets on the nose, leather on the palate, and a hint of coffee and dark chocolate on the lingering mineral finish. All this perfect balanced with good acidity and lush, sweet tannins. 13% vol alcohol. The finest 2007 I had so far…
For me, with its splendid minerality and elegance, Léoville Barton is a bulwark against the modern Bordeaux madness and since about three decades a safe bank especially in so called weaker vintages. I remember well that I bought cases and cases of their delicious 1987. 23 Mark/bottle at that time. The best daily quaffer I ever had. :slight_smile:

Underappreciated chateau. Maybe the decision to not inflate prices has contributed, but God love them for creating terrific wines year-in, year-out at sensible prices.

Good to hear it’s drinking well.

I’m not sure it’s their decision to not inflate prices rather than they don’t make the style of wine that commands higher prices though… They’re priced right for the style their afficionados appreciate, I think that’s a strong sales factor, albeit not one that creates broad market demand and that’s not a bad thing at all.

07s can be a real minefield qualitatively. The best dirt, peeps and equip show in a vintage like this. On the other end of the stylistic spectrum, I spent the day tasting de Buoard wines and found the 07 Angelus has a lot to offer. The best 07s are evolving at light speed, but in a good way providing some shocking complexity for their young age, and I mean that in a good way; it is very much a vintage for those who prefer the classic style. Those who did take a chance on this vintage can check in on bigger names and find they are good to go outside of the 1855 1sts that are not far off from being good to go either. It’s not a vintage for me personally though, but I would definitely be in love if I liked the flavor profile of Loire reds.