Planning Napa/Sonoma Trip, What do you think of this list?

I’m going to be dropping into Napa/Sonoma for a quick 3-day jaunt next Monday to Wednesday and this is the first trip I’m personally planning. I reached out to a knowledgeable family member for some advice and has passed on some names of wineries to me.

Background: I’ve visited twice within the past year and done Williams Selyem (x2), Kistler (x2), Ovid, Quintessa, Shafer, Red Car, Dutton Estate, Dutton Goldfield, Domaine Carneros, Rochioli Estate wines, Ferrari-Carano, Sonoma Cutrer, Copain, Pride Mountain, and BV. So going to avoid those as I’ve pretty much tasted everything of the current releases.

Looking to do 2 scheduled tastings a day (6 total) and three drop-ins.

How does this list look, anything you would recommend adding or definitely seeing? I realize most of these places are Cab/Pinot, so I would love to hear some other Syrah and Zin places, and maybe a Rhone-style place as well. (Trying to broaden my horizons a bit)

Scheduled Tasting Possibilities
Verite
Wind Gap
Pahlmeyer

Closed?
Peter Michael
Grace Family
Sloan
Eisele
Harlan
Maybach
Schrader

Drop in Possibilities
V Sattui
Seghesio
Merry Edwards
Martinelli

As you can see, most of the names my family member gave me were closed places (although I am on the list at Harlan). Do any of them, especially Schrader and Maybach, do tastings for wait-list members? If I’m on the list at Harlan, is that a possibility?

Sorry for the rambling message and thank you for your help!

Just as a heads up, Wind Gap is a wine bar and not really a “tasting room”. You have to order 2 oz pours I think? It’s still most likely worth the trip but it’s not a tasting room.

I think a lot of those places will be closed. To list a few that are in your area who might be open:

Paul Mathew
Benovia
Joseph Swan
Failla

We just went to Napa/Sonoma for a week and we really enjoyed those places.

Schrader and Maybach do not have their own wineries, and I met a Schrader employee a few months ago who confirmed that they do not do any hospitality/tastings/visits (I’m sure there is some very small amount of wiggle room here for top customers).

If you’re thinking of heading towards Healdsburg, would taste at Littorai and try to arrange something at Calluna in Chalk Hill. Larkmead and Corison are great tastings in the St. Helena area.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I’m especially intriqued by Failla, Larkmead, Calluna, and Littorai.

I’m going to start calling tomorrow, hoping to get into those four, plus Verite and maybe Harlan, and drop into Wind Gap, V. Sattui, Joseph Swan and Merry Edwards.

Yes, Seghesio for Zin, Merry Edwards for PN. Yes on Benovia for PN (appt reqd)
Sattui if you like tour buses, Martinelli is great at what they do – high alc PN & Zin. Not my style, but it is for lots of ppl.
If you’re in the Merry Edwards / Benovia neighborhood check out Iron Horse (bubbles, PN), Woodenhead (PN, Zin, they are kind of the “anti-Martinelli”), Balletto (PN, Syrah). If in the Martinelli neighborhood try Russian Hill (PN, Syrah).

Call Elyse and get an appointment there. If you like big Zins and Syrahs, as well as Rhone blends you’ll enjoy a tasting there. The Elyse wines, including Cabs are big, while their Jacob Franklin brand is Rhone blends in an old world style. The tasting room is a converted older house and the people are very friendly and helpful.

For reservations, please call (707) 944-2900, ext. 1, or email
info@elysewinery.com

http://elysewinery.com/home.html

Agree on seghesio for zin

Add limerick lane for zin/syrah

Enjoyed lynmar a few months ago

I’ve heard good things about tasting at Merryvale and V. Sattui. Never been myself, but people I trust have vouched.

Plan V. Sattui around lunchtime. Great deli, get some sandwiches. Tasting was fun enough, lots of options to work through. The one bottle I took home from there was a Madiera…