Which RIDGE are you drinking?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Leonard Maran
Posts: 1123
Joined: August 26th, 2009, 1:13 pm
Location: San Francisco

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#451 Post by Leonard Maran » September 15th, 2018, 7:34 pm

robert creth wrote:
September 10th, 2018, 2:41 pm
Opened a replacement 2016 Estate Chardonnay today. The first bottle I opened a few months ago, smelled of sulfur matchsticks and I was advised to ask for a replacement. Ridge was very understanding and sent out a replacement bottle as soon as the weather allowed. The new one is exactly the same. I decanted for a few hours after the initial taste to allow the sulfur to blow off, but it doesn’t seem to. I just can’t get past the nose of this wine. Since this is my only view of Ridge whites, I will have to say, not for me.
Consumed too soon; ok, not for you..

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 23085
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#452 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 20th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Good call, Alex. The 2016 Geyserville is outstanding. Been following it for three nights, along with other stuff. Love the dip into the red fruit spectrum, in addition to its brambly darks, and it’s blood citrus fruit acid. American oak dialed in, as you note. I grabbed four, going back to the well.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15567
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#453 Post by Craig G » September 20th, 2018, 9:14 pm

robert creth wrote:
September 10th, 2018, 2:41 pm
Opened a replacement 2016 Estate Chardonnay today. The first bottle I opened a few months ago, smelled of sulfur matchsticks and I was advised to ask for a replacement. Ridge was very understanding and sent out a replacement bottle as soon as the weather allowed. The new one is exactly the same. I decanted for a few hours after the initial taste to allow the sulfur to blow off, but it doesn’t seem to. I just can’t get past the nose of this wine. Since this is my only view of Ridge whites, I will have to say, not for me.
I recommend you not blow a lot of money on Leflaive, PYCM, or Coche-Dury :-)
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 186
Joined: March 31st, 2018, 6:19 am

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#454 Post by C. Keller » September 21st, 2018, 4:53 pm

Hanging out tonight with a 16 Geyser. This is great juice. Well worth the $40.
Chris

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 24228
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#455 Post by AlexS » September 21st, 2018, 5:11 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 5:29 pm
Good call, Alex. The 2016 Geyserville is outstanding. Been following it for three nights, along with other stuff. Love the dip into the red fruit spectrum, in addition to its brambly darks, and it’s blood citrus fruit acid. American oak dialed in, as you note. I grabbed four, going back to the well.
Awesomeness, love it, perfect description. 2016 Geezer's the kind of wine I have to drink again and again just to keep proving to myself that it isn't some kind of fluke and/or I'm not insane for going so bananas every time I have it.

I'm budgeting for a case purchase next month, just hope there's still enough available locally by then (2014 went quick vs. 2015...expecting the same w/2016)...
C. Keller wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 4:53 pm
Hanging out tonight with a 16 Geyser. This is great juice. Well worth the $40.
More awesomeness.

Rich, you best get your ass in gear and try a bottle of the 2016, ASAP.
s t e w @ r t

NickRut
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 804
Joined: June 10th, 2016, 5:00 pm

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#456 Post by NickRut » September 21st, 2018, 6:52 pm

Opened a 16 Geyserville. Good stuff
Rutkowski

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3455
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#457 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 28th, 2018, 3:59 pm

2014 Geyser. Popped and poured, paired with pizza. Still young, but oak has subsided a bit. Nice medium body, cherry, good finish. Have 2 mags and 1 750ml left which I'll bury for a few more years.

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3186
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#458 Post by Rich Brown » February 16th, 2019, 6:41 pm

1990 Lytton Springs

Bought at auction. Sadly not in great shape. Volitle nose and baked fruit on the palate. No Improvement on day 2. Nowhere close to the awesomeness of the 91 Lytton I had a couple years ago.

Oh well. No great wines....

[media] [/media]

AlexS
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 24228
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 4:05 pm
Location: Mwaukee, 'sconsin

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#459 Post by AlexS » February 16th, 2019, 7:00 pm

Bummer man, bottle looks in fantastic condition!

Alas, I've been in the same position on many a moon...only great bottles indeed.
s t e w @ r t

User avatar
Rich Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3186
Joined: January 5th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Location: Phoenix

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#460 Post by Rich Brown » February 16th, 2019, 7:43 pm

AlexS wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 7:00 pm
Bummer man, bottle looks in fantastic condition!

Alas, I've been in the same position on many a moon...only great bottles indeed.
It really was in great shape and the cork looked solid.....but sadly the wine just didnt show like I know it should. Oh well. They cant all be aces.......and the 13 Carlisle Papera I opened per your reco more than made up for it ;)

[media] [/media]

KyleC
Posts: 205
Joined: October 2nd, 2018, 9:39 pm

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#461 Post by KyleC » February 16th, 2019, 9:31 pm

Opened a 2009 Lytton Estate Syrah, and it's drinking quite nicely. Still mostly primary fruit, but some tertiary components are present. Can easily go another 5 years, probably much longer giving how tannic the wine still is.

I just saw they're re-releasing the 2009 Lytton Estate Petite Sirah. Anyone have that recently?
C h e n

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 382
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#462 Post by Philip G » February 16th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Picked up a mixed case of ‘13 & ‘14 Geyserville at winemadeeasy.com (Premiere), pretty good price, cleaned out their ‘13 but they’ve got ‘14-‘16 still in stock at good prices. I’ve been drinking the ‘14 this week which is pretty tasty and have a few ‘16s which I haven’t tried yet but am thinking maybe should pick up more?
Chip G@@d

Ben M a n d l e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 159
Joined: January 20th, 2019, 9:42 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#463 Post by Ben M a n d l e r » February 18th, 2019, 9:40 am

  • 2014 Ridge Petite Sirah York Creek - USA, California, Napa Valley, Spring Mountain District (2/1/2019)
    On pop and pour: deep ruby-purple color. Quite viscous. Nose: explosive fruit: cooked raspberry, black cherry, plum skin, spiced herbaceous warmth, slight pear skin, black pepper, touch of menthol. Palate: high acid, medium-high chewy tannin, high alcohol coming through, darker fruit than nose, long finish, bitter at the back.

    After an hour decant: more balsamic and dark fruit on the nose, a little calmer, alcohol has calmed down; acidity down to medium-plus on the palate, oak coming through, an odd touch of rubber-plastic. A bit awkward at this point.

    Two and a half hours into the decant, this is really getting somewhere - rich dark fruit and spiced wood, this reminds me slightly of an old memory of 1990 Lynch Bages: dark, inky, brooding. Plus some meatiness on the nose now. On the palate this is getting much, much better. Good integration, some tingling sweet fruit in the mid-palate, fresh wood and candied almond finish. The rich dark fruit and heat from the alcohol (though not overbearing now) give it a hint of LBV port in its character.

    Right now this is a lovely weirdo. Plenty of stuffing, should be great but needs to chill out before proper evaluation or enjoyment. We will leave our other bottle for a couple more years at least, but I’m guessing the optimum drinking window will be mid-2020s. 15.1%, $35. 89+ (89 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
ITB

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19417
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#464 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » February 28th, 2019, 1:31 pm

2009 LS starting its long enjoyment window now with loads of smoke and vibrant black cherries. Decanted an hour and enjoyed over two, it barely budged. Delicious, and I think I have five more.
89B3C486-48FB-463F-86CB-275801B1D380.jpeg
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Eric S n y d e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 901
Joined: June 7th, 2016, 2:47 pm

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#465 Post by Eric S n y d e r » February 28th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
February 28th, 2019, 1:31 pm
2009 LS starting its long enjoyment window now with loads of smoke and vibrant black cherries. Decanted an hour and enjoyed over two, it barely budged. Delicious, and I think I have five more.

89B3C486-48FB-463F-86CB-275801B1D380.jpeg
A timely note for me! I have one on deck for this weekend [cheers.gif]

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 768
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#466 Post by dsimmons » March 22nd, 2019, 11:16 am

2009 Ridge Geyserville - USA, California, Sonoma County (3/22/2019)
This is actually my first bottle of this wine. PnP and drank with Thai meatballs. The wine had amazing aromatics and a fruit forward palate. The fruit was bold but was starting to show some of the elegance that I love in these Geyservilles. Drink or hold. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
D o n

User avatar
Pat Martin
Posts: 2747
Joined: May 22nd, 2011, 11:38 pm

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#467 Post by Pat Martin » March 22nd, 2019, 3:54 pm

dsimmons wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 11:16 am
2009 Ridge Geyserville - USA, California, Sonoma County (3/22/2019)
This is actually my first bottle of this wine. PnP and drank with Thai meatballs. The wine had amazing aromatics and a fruit forward palate. The fruit was bold but was starting to show some of the elegance that I love in these Geyservilles. Drink or hold. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
Just had this a few days ago. On Day 1, it was very good and textbook Ridge zinfandel, but it lacked pizzaz for me (the bar for Ridge is quite high in my house). Day 2 though, this morphed into a black-cherry fruited beauty. Not showing much complexity yet, but that core of ripe yet dry fruit on day 2 was irresistible.
P@ tr!ck M 8rt!n

User avatar
dsimmons
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 768
Joined: January 7th, 2017, 11:51 am
Location: Anchorage, AK and Rockport, TX

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#468 Post by dsimmons » March 23rd, 2019, 12:41 pm

Pat Martin wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 3:54 pm
Day 2 though, this morphed into a black-cherry fruited beauty. Not showing much complexity yet, but that core of ripe yet dry fruit on day 2 was irresistible.
Exactly!
D o n

Ben M a n d l e r
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 159
Joined: January 20th, 2019, 9:42 am
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#469 Post by Ben M a n d l e r » March 27th, 2019, 8:03 am

Last night opened a bottle of the 2016 Blasi Zinfandel, purchased at winery in October after it showed very well at tasting. This is all over the place on opening - too much fruit, not enough structure, kind of sour smelling. But after a an hour decant it got there - the savory undercurrent and juicy juicy acidity that I had loved back in October were there again. Will hold my other bottle another year or two.
ITB

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19417
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#470 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 24th, 2019, 5:21 am

Tried the 12 MB out of 375 last night. Decanted this for an hour in a big Burg stem and then sipped for two.

It’s awkward still. Pieces are all there, great nose, but it needs time even from small format. I’ll check again in 4-5 years.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

User avatar
L.Cole
Posts: 89
Joined: June 5th, 2010, 4:02 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#471 Post by L.Cole » June 26th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Recently
2014 Ridge Paso Robles Zin and 2017 Ridge Geyserville. Both good wines but the Geyserville is clearly the better wine. While enjoyable now I will hold my remaining 17’s for a while. I will likely add a few more of the geyserville in hopes of having enough to try a few at 20+ years.
Larry Cole

User avatar
G. Bienstock
Posts: 2708
Joined: December 29th, 2009, 6:32 pm
Location: Reno, NV

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#472 Post by G. Bienstock » June 26th, 2019, 10:08 pm

1999 Monte Bello last week was still tight and tannic.
Glenn

Positive Rastaman Vibration

ITB 1999-2005

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15567
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#473 Post by Craig G » June 26th, 2019, 10:32 pm

2008 MB drank great last night.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3886
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#474 Post by Wes Barton » June 27th, 2019, 2:42 pm

G. Bienstock wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 10:08 pm
1999 Monte Bello last week was still tight and tannic.
Funny that a decade ago that was drinking well and seemed like an early drinker. I had some in April, and a few other times in the last few years, and it's been tight and tannic. Needs to sit another decade.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

Greg Harter
Posts: 61
Joined: August 19th, 2013, 9:56 pm
Location: Waterloo, IA

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#475 Post by Greg Harter » June 27th, 2019, 9:52 pm

None. i am one of many that are still miffed at buying the current Cabs, merlot and Chard and then finding out we cannot buy the Monte Bello except at a higher price in a year.
As much as I like the Lytton Springs and Geyserville, I'm done. I've read the excusses about, we didn't know the 2018 would be such a small amount. As often as a winemaker tastes individual barrels, I just don't buy the excuse. Actually considering putting all the remaining older Ridges I own up to auction. Can they get me back? No, but it doesn't seem that they care.

User avatar
Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 19417
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Location: Coos Bay, OR

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#476 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » June 30th, 2019, 2:49 pm

I’ll look at your list.
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 696
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 2:26 pm
Location: Newtown, PA

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#477 Post by AD Northup » August 23rd, 2019, 10:34 am

Saw on Instagram Ridge was picking at Evangelho today...think they made a wine there in the 90’s, but anyone know if there’s something in their current lineup from that vineyard?
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

User avatar
L.Cole
Posts: 89
Joined: June 5th, 2010, 4:02 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#478 Post by L.Cole » August 23rd, 2019, 2:42 pm

Has anyone tried the ‘17 Lytton Springs yet?
Larry Cole

User avatar
larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 8134
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 9:26 am
Location: Santa Ynez Valley, CA

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#479 Post by larry schaffer » August 23rd, 2019, 3:34 pm

Will be opening a 1994 SC Mtn Cab later tonight. Price tag on bottle is $15.99. Looking forward to seeing how it's developed . . .

Had a sample of the 2017 Carignane last week with Dave Gates - liked it but to me the oak was just a little bit too 'present'. Also had their new 2018 Grenache Blanc from the Adelaida District in Paso Robles. Nicely done.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

AD Northup
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 696
Joined: January 21st, 2018, 2:26 pm
Location: Newtown, PA

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#480 Post by AD Northup » August 23rd, 2019, 5:11 pm

larry schaffer wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 3:34 pm
Will be opening a 1994 SC Mtn Cab later tonight. Price tag on bottle is $15.99. Looking forward to seeing how it's developed . . .

Had a sample of the 2017 Carignane last week with Dave Gates - liked it but to me the oak was just a little bit too 'present'. Also had their new 2018 Grenache Blanc from the Adelaida District in Paso Robles. Nicely done.

Cheers.
Have some of the Grenache Blanc coming whenever the weather cools down. Looking forward to it on a reasonably cool Fall evening outside.
A n d r e w N o r t h u p

2020 WsOTY:

2015 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs La Presle (#1)
1954 Fontanafredda Barbaresco
2015 Ultramarine BdB

2019 WsOTY:
1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 18550
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#481 Post by Howard Cooper » August 23rd, 2019, 8:18 pm

Tonight I had 2016 Lytton Springs. Outstanding.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Benny P
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 64
Joined: May 19th, 2017, 2:05 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#482 Post by Benny P » August 23rd, 2019, 10:14 pm

I went with a 2015 Geyserville tonight. After drinking this, I regret not loading up on these. Fantastic!
Attachments
02D17616-A5DD-4980-8F29-642B6F49FD2E.jpeg
Ben P@scu@l

User avatar
aaronfullen
Posts: 613
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 10:34 am
Location: Atlantaish

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#483 Post by aaronfullen » August 24th, 2019, 7:23 am

C. Keller wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 4:53 pm
Hanging out tonight with a 16 Geyser. This is great juice. Well worth the $40.
Reading this thread was making me thirsty for some Geyserville. Went to Wine Searcher and found this vintage for $31.99 at Stirling.

Got a case. Even with shipping I'm at $35 per. It's the little things on a Saturday morning.

-af

Philip G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 382
Joined: January 4th, 2019, 3:04 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#484 Post by Philip G » August 24th, 2019, 8:08 am

aaronfullen wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 7:23 am
C. Keller wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 4:53 pm
Hanging out tonight with a 16 Geyser. This is great juice. Well worth the $40.
Reading this thread was making me thirsty for some Geyserville. Went to Wine Searcher and found this vintage for $31.99 at Stirling.

Got a case. Even with shipping I'm at $35 per. It's the little things on a Saturday morning.

-af
I found the '16s to be not quite ready but have been really enjoying '13 and '14. Need to buy more of those and maybe '15 so I can let the '16's sit another year or two.

I drink limited amounts of MB and enjoy Ridge's other offerings but I think I could survive on a desert island with just an unlimited supply of Geyserville.
Chip G@@d

Tom O
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33
Joined: January 21st, 2019, 4:53 pm

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#485 Post by Tom O » August 24th, 2019, 11:26 am

2014 Buchignani Ranch Zin

Had with red sauce and meat pizza. Little tart when I opened it but it settled down and opened up after a little air. Think it was a little better next day. Wasn't as good as the Lytton Springs or Geyserville Zins I've had but not bad. Probably would have benefited from another year or two in the bottle but very drinkable now with a decant.
Tom O b r i n g e r

User avatar
Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 513
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 2:10 pm
Location: Coto de Caza, CA

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#486 Post by Bryan Price » August 29th, 2019, 9:32 pm

Benny P wrote:
August 23rd, 2019, 10:14 pm
I went with a 2015 Geyserville tonight. After drinking this, I regret not loading up on these. Fantastic!
Just bought a sixer for $45 per on Kogod.
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

AdamK
Posts: 153
Joined: June 7th, 2011, 4:37 pm

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#487 Post by AdamK » August 30th, 2019, 4:12 pm

What is everyone currently buying from the available 2016's and 2017's?
Ad@m K@arpm@n

User avatar
L.Cole
Posts: 89
Joined: June 5th, 2010, 4:02 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#488 Post by L.Cole » August 31st, 2019, 8:51 am

Adam, I haven’t had all the wines currently listed for sale on the Ridge site but my favorites are the ‘16 GSM, ‘16 Lytton Springs, ‘16 Carmichael and the ‘17 Geyserville. I haven’t had the ‘17 Lytton Springs but will be buying plenty of it.
Larry Cole

User avatar
Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 513
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 2:10 pm
Location: Coto de Caza, CA

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#489 Post by Bryan Price » September 14th, 2019, 8:42 am

Just popped a 2015 Geyser and it's so lush and tasty. Any reason to wait on drinking my other 5 bottles?
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

Ian Alper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 292
Joined: May 7th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#490 Post by Ian Alper » September 14th, 2019, 9:32 am

Bryan - I would definitely hold on to a few and try them at the 10 year mark. The 09 is one of my favorite Zins right now - wish I had saved more.

Adam- I just did a quick tasting at Ridge yesterday. The 17 Geezer is great. If they still have the 2014 Lytton Estate Syrah I would strongly recommend it - I think it is the best Ridge Syrah I have ever had (I usually prefer the GSM) and Michael, who was pouring, said that most people that tasted it purchased it.

Ian Alper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 292
Joined: May 7th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#491 Post by Ian Alper » September 14th, 2019, 9:37 am

I have been purchasing Monte Bello futures for more that 15 years but have only opened a handful or so. I am lucky to live close enough so I get up there several time a year and drink theirs while mine age. Special occasion yesterday so wanted to try one. I read over the cellar tracker reviews and they are all over the place which made me want to wait on most of them. I chose the 2011 which was being poured at a Ridge event a few months ago. Opened a 375 and it was drinking really well. No reason to wait on this one! 1 hour decant and it was delicious and really open.

User avatar
Bryan Price
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 513
Joined: April 9th, 2017, 2:10 pm
Location: Coto de Caza, CA

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#492 Post by Bryan Price » September 14th, 2019, 10:10 am

Ian Alper wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 9:32 am
Bryan - I would definitely hold on to a few and try them at the 10 year mark. The 09 is one of my favorite Zins right now - wish I had saved more.

Adam- I just did a quick tasting at Ridge yesterday. The 17 Geezer is great. If they still have the 2014 Lytton Estate Syrah I would strongly recommend it - I think it is the best Ridge Syrah I have ever had (I usually prefer the GSM) and Michael, who was pouring, said that most people that tasted it purchased it.
Sounds like using this argument, I should be able to convince my wife we need a wine cellar?!! Barely surviving over with my two Eurocaves!
“To alcohol! The cause of...and solution to...all of life's problems.” - Homer Simpson

Tom Lee
Posts: 1252
Joined: June 17th, 2009, 8:18 am
Location: West Seattle

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#493 Post by Tom Lee » September 14th, 2019, 10:44 am

2017 Ridge Pagani. Pretty sure this is the best young Zin I have had from Ridge.

Tom
Twitter: @NWTomLee

Peter C.
Posts: 4087
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:57 pm

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#494 Post by Peter C. » September 14th, 2019, 10:44 am

Anyone besides me disappointed in the Heritage Zin that was offered a cycle or two ago? Drinks more like Beaujolais than Zin. Very simple and boring - was expecting more given the idea behind the bottling.
( z y ® y ( @

User avatar
Matt Mauldin
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1247
Joined: May 26th, 2010, 3:32 pm
Location: Goleta, CA

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#495 Post by Matt Mauldin » September 14th, 2019, 11:15 am

I visited the Montebello tasting room last weekend and was really impressed by the 2017 Geyserville, among others.
ITB

Nick O
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6
Joined: July 21st, 2016, 9:24 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#496 Post by Nick O » September 14th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Peter C. wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 10:44 am
Anyone besides me disappointed in the Heritage Zin that was offered a cycle or two ago? Drinks more like Beaujolais than Zin. Very simple and boring - was expecting more given the idea behind the bottling.
I would agree Peter, the 2015 Heritage is the most disappointing wine I've had from what is most certainly my favorite producer.
Nick Olla

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3886
Joined: January 29th, 2009, 3:54 am

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#497 Post by Wes Barton » September 14th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Bryan Price wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 10:10 am
Ian Alper wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 9:32 am
Bryan - I would definitely hold on to a few and try them at the 10 year mark. The 09 is one of my favorite Zins right now - wish I had saved more.

Adam- I just did a quick tasting at Ridge yesterday. The 17 Geezer is great. If they still have the 2014 Lytton Estate Syrah I would strongly recommend it - I think it is the best Ridge Syrah I have ever had (I usually prefer the GSM) and Michael, who was pouring, said that most people that tasted it purchased it.
Sounds like using this argument, I should be able to convince my wife we need a wine cellar?!! Barely surviving over with my two Eurocaves!
Something like that. Many of us have concluded the answer to your dilemma is to buy too much wine. You can't cradle rob more than you can drink. Perfectly sensible.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

User avatar
Andrew A r n t f i e l d
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 233
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 10:07 am

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#498 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » September 14th, 2019, 12:55 pm

2010 Estate Cab last night was drinking well but it has upside with more cellar time. A ton of chunky sediment at the bottom of the bottle. Plum and milk chocolate, a little licorice. Accessible, fruit driven, lovely plush mouth feel. Tannins are resolved. It’s interesting how much the 17% Merlot influences the palate.
IG: @arntfieldwines

Peter C.
Posts: 4087
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 5:57 pm

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#499 Post by Peter C. » September 15th, 2019, 9:07 am

Nick O wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 12:22 pm
Peter C. wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 10:44 am
Anyone besides me disappointed in the Heritage Zin that was offered a cycle or two ago? Drinks more like Beaujolais than Zin. Very simple and boring - was expecting more given the idea behind the bottling.
I would agree Peter, the 2015 Heritage is the most disappointing wine I've had from what is most certainly my favorite producer.
Glad it wasn't just me. And I love all the other Ridge zins.
( z y ® y ( @

User avatar
Andrew A r n t f i e l d
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 233
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 10:07 am

Re: Which RIDGE are you drinking?

#500 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » September 16th, 2019, 8:03 am

2014 Ridge Mazzoni Home Ranch

No doubt this will improve with age, but when it's drinking so well right now, why wait?
IG: @arntfieldwines

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”